Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ice tube clock

Blord

I have added a LDR to the clock. This wasn't included in the kit but as an optional upgrade.
It senses the ambient light and adjust the brightness of the clock. In dark when I go to sleep I have set it at minimum of 0.5 and during daylight at 8.0. It works pretty well.
The LDR spec are :

LDR, SERIES VT901
Power Rating: 80mW
Dark Resistance: 1Mohm
Resistance @ Lux: 40.5kohm
Operating Temperature Range: -40°C to +75°C
Resistor Element Material: Ceramic
Voltage Rating: 100V
No. of Pins: 2

Put a 10K resistor on R4 next to the LDR.

IceTube-8.jpg

Last edited:

Fiddy

nice blord! i got my kit this week :D

where did you buy the LDR from?

Fiddy

sweet dude, how do you set the parameters with the LDR?

Blord

Go to the menu and enable the SET ADIM by setting it to ON.
The SET BRIGHTNESS will change into two settings, BRIGHT0 and BRIGHT1. They are the minimum and the maximum brightness. Set it whatever you like :)

Blord

Hmm, maybe I have a different firmware in the ic. I didn't change the software.

Fiddy

hmmmm that sucks... there is a connector on the board for the firmware upgrade, might have to look into the procedure for it.

Arayan

very very nice, thanks for sharing :beer: unfortunately I have no funds at the moment :(

wheedy

hmmmm that sucks... there is a connector on the board for the firmware upgrade, might have to look into the procedure for it.

If you do anything, be sure to fill us in. I sure would like to add this to mine, but when it comes to reprogramming the chip I'm lost.

Fiddy

I looked into it, found a programmer and connector, doesnt look hard to do, im going on holidays soon so ill hold off till after then.

Fiddy

If you do anything, be sure to fill us in. I sure would like to add this to mine, but when it comes to reprogramming the chip I'm lost.

Got my programmer today, bought a usbtiny.

its pretty easy to upload a program, just have to plug it in and execute a command, i only found 2 firmwares, the original and one thats pretty fancy.

What i cant figure out is you have to compile a firmware from all these files in the pack with a program called "Makefile" dont know how to do that yet but im sussing it out.

Blord

Btw what firmware number do you have ? You can see that by pressing Menu and then Set

Fiddy

Btw what firmware number do you have ? You can see that by pressing Menu and then Set

doing that makes it want to change the alarm time?

im currently runing digisag firmware, see below:

firmwarecomparisonMedium_zpsd857efad.png

I got my LDR's need to get me a 10K ohm resistor,

Looking at that graph you have the firmware thats called jsgf? because youve got day and night brightness?

Last edited:

Fiddy

interesting, ill install that one when i get home and have a look.

If you want ill do a tutorial on how to upgrade the firmware too!