Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I need advise and help. I'm 15 and I would like to understand lasers better. Thanks.

Re: advise and help. im 15 and need to understand high powered lasers. Thx

Up to you, but imo you should remove your full name from a public post. Than again I'm kind of paranoid :tinfoil:

The green lasers were are usually dealing with are all 532nm... not 510nm. You are correct though, the closer you get to 555nm the more bright the beam would appear.

Of those two lasers, I would go for the first one, the Grenade. It is a safer design;
-Momentary on, meaning you have to keep pressing a button to have it turned on.
-Key switch, if someone without a key gets their hands on it, no problem... so long as you left it in the off position.
-There is a cover that slides over the button.

In terms of burning, industrial lasers are all IR, but in terms of handhelds, on an mW for mW basis, 405nm will burn better, in terms of raw power, the most powerful handhelds are 445nm - blue.

Edit - seems ZRaffleticket covered most of it aready.

Last edited:

ok, thanks a lot for all the great information. When i was talking about a infrared laser... You can't see the beam and there really powerful. So... Put a targeting laser on it. That would be great for burning stuff. Because infrared laser have higher energy levels. Just a random idea. And yes I think I'm gonna go for the grenade. Goggles for it anyone... And proof why they work the best for there price please. Thanks so much.

@ZRaffleticket Yes, I loved the "wall of posts". thx

-Danny

Last edited:

. Goggles for it anyone... And proof why they work the best for there price please.

-Danny

:banghead:
One of the worst things to do when it comes to lasers is to skimp on the eye protection. If you can by a $10 set of safety glasses that are alright or a $70 pair that will offer the best protection SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY. If you accidentally get hit in the eye while wearing the crappy glasses and you do permanent eye damage that could have been prevented by using the good glasses you will regret it.

TL;DR How much is your eyesight worth to you.

Last edited:

I'd like to see a 445nm that can instantly damage your sight through the UVEX goggles. I have hit mine with my 2.7W 445nm and they hold up unbelievability well. They are totally badass for 405/445nm lasers and work great for 532nm as long as there isn't a damaging amount of IR. I have 3 pairs and all three perform the same. I hit mine with my 2.7W 445nm and my LPM measures nothing passing through. Looking at them from the other side it is pretty much the same brightness as a standard small LED. Its bright but nothing to a damaging level(doesn't even leave glare marks in my vision) and the light is totally orange. That also means the light is absorbed and diffused enough to where my LPM doesn't even get 0.1mW of the original beam. No I didn't hit myself in the eye with the goggles on BTW, I looked at the goggles as they sat on my bench with the laser hitting the other side with my LPM lined up and sitting about a half inch away from the goggles. I did a direct hit test as well with my laser set to infinity and I would say they can sustain about 10 seconds and not get burn though.

In all, I cant see risking your vision being worth any amount of monetary savings but with those goggles I see no risk, at least not with the power lasers we use. Also, if you were wearing them, you would notice a direct hit or a concentrated reflection quickly because of the orange glow WAY before you had ANY risk of burn though. Assuming you are using a laser below 10W lol.

BTW, I wouldn't suggest those goggles if I didn't have them myself and tested them myself and I feel completely safe wearing them. Plus, as a bonus, you can wear them with glasses.

AFAIK the only <100USD goggles that are safe for DPSS 532nm are these Eagle Pairs. All chinese ones and the UVEX ones will let IR through, which means you could take a lot of damage before you notice it - your eyes don't feel pain and all you'll see is a very faint red dot. They must be able to filter 532nm, 808nm and 1064nm.

This is true, but as far as I know a 532nm of <100mW would not release a damaging level of IR unless you pointed the beam right at your goggles and they didn't filter the IR. You would be FAR better off getting an IR filter and putting it on your laser(if you get a 532nm DPSS) instead since then it would be safe for anyone around and way way way cheaper.

Does anyone have a source they would suggest for getting an IR filer?

BTW, for burning, wavelengths closer to UV such as 405nm lasers are better(in general) because organic materials absorb it better and most of what we like to burn is an organic material. And a benefit to a 405nm is the cheapo UVEX goggles will work beautifully with them and they release no IR.

Last edited:

I'm not sure they wouldn't.. I have a 808nm laser from a <100mW greenie (removed the crystal) and it's probably between 200 and 500mW. The amount leaked seems to vary wildly between units as well - I have weak lasers that leak more than much stronger ones (tested by filtering with IR-pass filter and looking at the IR dot with an unfiltered camera).

I have an IR filter from O-Like and it leaks a lot of IR. A filter removed from a mid range camera (not webcam or cell phone) is *much* better but unfortunaly it seems to take some of the visible output as well. Placing that filter on the aperture of the 808nm laser mentioned above I can't even tell if the laser is on when I point it *directly* at an unfiltered camera's lens.

I do agree 405nm with UVEX is a better and safer combination for burning :)

I'd like to see a 445nm that can instantly damage your sight through the UVEX goggles. I have hit mine with my 2.7W 445nm and they hold up unbelievability well. They are totally badass for 405/445nm lasers and work great for 532nm as long as there isn't a damaging amount of IR. I have 3 pairs and all three perform the same. I hit mine with my 2.7W 445nm and my LPM measures nothing passing through. Looking at them from the other side it is pretty much the same brightness as a standard small LED. Its bright but nothing to a damaging level(doesn't even leave glare marks in my vision) and the light is totally orange. That also means the light is absorbed and diffused enough to where my LPM doesn't even get 0.1mW of the original beam. No I didn't hit myself in the eye with the goggles on BTW, I looked at the goggles as they sat on my bench with the laser hitting the other side with my LPM lined up and sitting about a half inch away from the goggles. I did a direct hit test as well with my laser set to infinity and I would say they can sustain about 10 seconds and not get burn though.

In all, I cant see risking your vision being worth any amount of monetary savings but with those goggles I see no risk, at least not with the power lasers we use. Also, if you were wearing them, you would notice a direct hit or a concentrated reflection quickly because of the orange glow WAY before you had ANY risk of burn though. Assuming you are using a laser below 10W lol.

BTW, I wouldn't suggest those goggles if I didn't have them myself and tested them myself and I feel completely safe wearing them. Plus, as a bonus, you can wear them with glasses.

I wasn't saying the UVEX glasses in particular are bad. I was just making a general statement. Essentially I'm saying not to go on google and enter "cheap laser glasses" and buy the cheapest pair you find.

Um, with that pointer and those goggles you could really hit yourself right in the eye and not be effected. DO NOT TRY IT, I am just saying those are very good goggles and are pretty much overkill for that power. But honestly, whats the point of having a laser to point if you cant even see it because you are blocking it all with goggles? If you hit a non-reflective matte finish wall 10+ feet away with that power as well as outdoors you will be fine without goggles.

The grenade is out of stock BTW.

The only real reason to look at a dot up close is to burn something and in that case go with 405nm or 445nm and for those wavelengths IR is not an issue and cheaper goggles(like the UVEX ones) should work fine.

Cool, That's what i though. Those laser would block up to 10 WATT right.

Anyone here have a laser like the grenade to sell. (hope i can say this.)

I really want to be able to buy one by Christmas.

The grenade can burn stuff right. its 100 mw... Just curious.

ARG

They can, but I wouldn't use those for more than 3W, better to get some ANSI goggles from OEM laser systems for that power.

Ok, Thanks for all the great information. Any other information that you guys think i should know. Well, Ill get an email from any posts on this thread. Thanks guys.

I repeat this.

Anyone here have a laser like the grenade to sell. (hope i can say this.)

Thanks a lot.
-Danny.

I agree with ARG that I wouldn't try over about 3W with those goggles.

You could look on laserbtb.com for another 532nm.

A 100mW 532nm wouldn't burn anything. I doubt it would even light a match without lots of time and using a marker to make the match head black and it still might not light it. Like I said above, get a 405nm or a 445nm if you want to burn things. 532nm is about the worst for burning for multiple reasons. Besides, 100mW is about the absolute bare minimum power for even a 405nm to be worth bothering to burn stuff with.

Zeebit

A 100mw 532nm will be able to burn if you focus it to a point so the Lazerer Grenade will do the trick. The UVEX googles have been tested to block lower powered 532nm pretty well. I've seen a couple of threads of these being tested. They won't stop the IR but the IR won't be as focused a the green light.

Last edited: