Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I need advise and help. I'm 15 and I would like to understand lasers better. Thanks.

If you could get any 100mv laser for under 75 bucks for Christmas which one would you get.

Silver chrome green laser 100mW/good finish [OLSGL100] - $62.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

or

Sharp High Power Green laser 100mW /Waterproof/focusable [OL-WG-100] - $75.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

That's the laser i want to get. How safe is that laser. is it going to leak infrared radiation or anything. I'm 15 and i really don't wanna blind anyone.
I'm not going to point it at anyone faces or anything but what about reflections and such. I'm new and any information would be appreciated.
Some good arguments about why i should get it would be nice.
Thx a lot.

Last edited:

Re: If you could get any 100mw lazer under 75 bucks for christmas...

Ok, but i really want a 100mw laser. i just want it to be filtered and of high quality and under 75 bucks. Could you say why it is not safe please. The laser your recommended is only 3 to 5 mw ... I also want my laser to be able to burn though balloons and such.

Edit: When i said safe i meant is there i really good chance i will blind or hurt someone not like a 5 mil safe im mean for a 100mw laser is it well constructed not going to leak. that kind of safe thx

Last edited:

ARG

Re: advise and help. im 15 and need to understand 100mw lasers.

100mW isn't very safe to being with. If you want to burn things get some goggles with it as reflections off of glossy objects can exceed the maximum permissible exposure.

It definitely wont be IR filtered, you can't get a quality 100mW laser for 75$. Check out Laserglow, they sell quality lasers and eye wear.

I know someone (in real life) who has a blind spot in his right eye from a mistake with a laser. He was putting it away and his hand slipped and it turned on pointing & focused on his eye. All it takes is one mistake to screw up your vision for life. With a 5mW laser that risk is negligible.

Re: advise and help. im 15 and need to understand 100mw lasers.

whats the highest power quality laser you can get for 50 bucks (less money less power more safe)

Can a 50mw burn stuff (black balloons)

Ok, instead of getting a high powered laser; can i get a low powered laser in a weird color like yellow or purple for 50-75 bucks... Any recommendations?

What are some company's that sell good lasers. I want a push button on off 100mw or less laser...
Thanks a lot.

Class IIIa is 5mw laser? That would be safe as long as i don't focus it or hold my eye open unlikely to blind me or hurt my eyes... ??

Last edited:
Re: advise and help. im 15 and need to understand high powered lasers. Thx

ok so if i were to bring that to school would i be screwed or would they not really care im thinking i would be screwed but... Also if i were to go for a 5mw or something like that what would you recommend for the best laser for a 15 yr old kid.

How do lasers rank out for apparent brightness. If they were all the same mw which would be brighter.

Like i said before, "Thanks a lot."

Last edited:

ARG

That laser I linked above is likely 30-100mW. 5mW is just a sticker they put on it so it gets passed customs.

Handheld lasers over 5mW are illegal in the USA, so yes, you would be screwed if you brought it to school.

So in the end for me what do you recommend for me.

Can you talk to me.
tinychat.com/planecool

Handheld lasers over 5mW are illegal in the USA

Not true. It is illegal to sell and import hand held lasers over 5mW in the US but possession alone is not a crime.

Well, Thx so your saying its not illegal to have hence i can have it at school... Just not a good idea.

Hey if you want to talk to me about your situation I have joined your chatroom.

Intresting... i really wanted to talk to ARGLaser. But, ok.

Please be safe with your lasers, especially in my home state. And don't bring them to school. You get busted, blind somebody, it's gonna cause a massive hype and possibly some harsher laser laws. Show your friends after school, and get goggles for them and yourself.

Chill. I was just checking beside i'm probably gonna go with a Class IIIa 405nm 10mW Violet laser pen/Focusable/Silver chrome [OL-405-10] - $10.50 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce. Like that one from o-like. Nice and safe.
If i do get a Class IIIb. I won't Do anything dumb like point it at cops bring it to scholl or try to shoot down planes. Thats why im here so i can be safe and learn before i purchase anything.
Thx For the good advise though.

Zeebit

FYI, that link above is NOT a class IIIa laser. It belongs to IIIb. Class IIIa lasers have an output power limit of 5mw. Anything higher is classified as class IIIb and has the potential to cause permanent eye damage.

Do a little searching of the forum. You will find plenty of information here. Just use the search button up there ^ :beer:

Last edited: