Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

i must be odd...

Beren

Hmm... Well, I guess I can't taste green. Of course, ~200mw gets hot pretty fast on the tongue :D
I wish I could find my crappy little red pointer, 'cause this sounds pretty interesting.

no way I cooked my taste buds. never felt any heat, nor any other type of sensation at all. plus, I can still taste my mt dew.. mm

Ok, I went all science fair on this one.

I took each of my wavelengths and tested for a response within ten seconds. After each test I would drink and gargle with water which would effectively erase any residual sensation.

660- Instant copper, never got too intense.

635- Took a second, never got intense, less of a taste.

594- Didn't really feel anything till right at the end when it started a little.

532 5mw- Nuttin'.

473- Nothing till right at the end then it tingled, but wasn't coppery.

405- tingled more than blue, had no real taste. Buds possibly fried by this point.

68mw 532- Simply hurt after about a second and a half. ;D

Kenom

try this experiment with your nose plugged. Can't have smell as a factor. My 50mw green no taste. 300mw 660nm no taste. 405nm 170mw no taste.

It's psychosomatic. All of you require lobotomies immediately. I'll go get a saw...

diachi

I noticed this before, aswell as the dot on the face thing, I think the taste might be a chemical reaction initiated by the laser :-?

iewed

I would assume that your either overloading your taste buds with energy, or your just smelling the laser. What you should try is to pick a rather pungent fruit (Like an Orange), rub some of the juices on your laser and try again. This will prove if your smelling the copper of the laser, or if you really can "taste" your laser.
If you want a really accurate result, ask someone that trust you to close their eyes, pinch their nose shut, and have them stick out their tongue and see if they can taste anything.

Omega

haha, who knew my silly little question would get so many responses :p
im unaware as to whats going on either :eek:

Things

I dont know if it would be a smell thing, since the taste seems to hang around in your mouth, and kinda form where the dot is. I am leaning more towrds the tastebud theory.