Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I have diffraction sheets!!

Well my uncle had about 5 non working older laptops. I tore them apart and to my surprise 2 of the 5 LCD screens worked. So I decided to tear apart the remaining non functioning LCDs even further. To my amazement, inside those LCD screens are sheets of diffraction paper. I have 6 sheets and when I shined my laser through it, its like the liquid sky effect. These are really nice sized sheets that can be cut any way just like paper. Well I have some pics so here ya go:

Attachments

• Untitled_505_002.jpg
    900.1 KB · Views: 257

Another shot. I ran out of fog juice but am gonna get some tomorrow and get more pics.

Attachments

• Untitled_507_002.jpg
    900.1 KB · Views: 217

Things

WOW nice find! They look like frensel lenses, but they don't make a line?? have you tried it in fog? What are you gonna do with the working LCD's? Anyways that is really cool how you can make a liquid sky from something as simple as that! ;)

Yeah I cant wait to try it out in fog. The line that these make is amazing too. No need for mirrors and motors. ;D. I have about 6 sheets of this diffraction paper if anyone is interested. I would sell them dirt cheap. Oh and as far as the LCD screens go. I am gonna get some LCD controllers to use them as VGA monitors.

Things

ooohh nice! One note about laptop LCD's, they are esentailly stupid, they have to have EVERYTHING supplied to them , and require a hell of alot of circuitry to drive them, since they are so dumb :D ;D

Y

yew.sir-name

I once made the same thing from a pice of plastic string, was a pain getting it to sit right though.

Death Angel said:
Yeah I cant wait to try it out in fog. The line that these make is amazing too. No need for mirrors and motors. ;D. I have about 6 sheets of this diffraction paper if anyone is interested. I would sell them dirt cheap. Oh and as far as the LCD screens go. I am gonna get some LCD controllers to use them as VGA monitors.

let me know if you find a good deal on LCD drivers, i've got two panels sitting here i would love to get working :)

MarioMaster said:
[quote author=Death Angel link=1193644184/0#5 date=1193645293]Yeah I cant wait to try it out in fog. The line that these make is amazing too. No need for mirrors and motors. ;D. I have about 6 sheets of this diffraction paper if anyone is interested. I would sell them dirt cheap. Oh and as far as the LCD screens go. I am gonna get some LCD controllers to use them as VGA monitors.

let me know if you find a good deal on LCD drivers, i've got two panels sitting here i would love to get working :)[/quote]

Well so far the only ones I found are like $200.00. You can fond them at http://store.earthlcd.com/.

Kenom

those are Fresnel lenses.  do you get the same line off the entire page'?
to determine if it's truly fresnel lenses you should be able to run a fingernail down one side and it will have circular ridges alll the way down. Starts at the center and works out in larger and larger circles.

Essentially it's like a cup. You've got a larger lens that takes up a lot of space. Now cut that cup into circles and line the circles up inside each other and you've got teh same size lens but it takes up 1/10th the room!

i believe LCD drivers depend on the exact specs and model etc of the screen they need to drive... i don't think you can just take a random say, laptop 800x600 TFT LCD, and slap a 800x600 TFT LCD controller on it. i've also heard that most laptop LCD screens have proprietry connectors unique to the brand, or even model, of the laptop, because they're not meant to be easily replaced. so if anyone wants to drive an old laptop LCD... good luck!!! given how smart a lot of people are though, i wouldn't be surprised if someone here managed :)