Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I did something bad. (pot mod)

Now I know the reasons not to do this, but I had to. My opto 5mw was having power fluctuations. I removed the felt fing that surrounds the contact spring, and noticed that the pcb was freely rotating in the case. Soooo...I decided to take it apart and fix it. You have to pull off (by gently rotating back and forth) the silver end piece. The module threads into that, so be careful when the end piece finally slides off. I tightened the diffent brass sections on the module to stop the pcb from rotating. Then I noticed the pot. I wired up the AAA's to the module casing and the spring contact, and rotated the pot until it got as bright as it would go without going all the way back around to off, then I eased back just a tad so it wouldn't vibrate around into the off position. After putting it all back together and going outside in the dark - WOW. The beam is insane. It now stings skin and just barely smokes the black rubber on the underside of my mouse pad. I've pot modded wicked lasers cores before, and never got results like this. I'll turn the pot back down after my opto 200mw arrives (tomorrow!). I just had to mess with it though! Anyway, thought I'd let you guys know it is possible!

Trevor

Oh noes... on an Opto? Glad I got the 150mW so I wasn't tempted. ;)

Trevor

Moptsp

I have a WL Core too, and have modded it. Nothing too special. Might be around 10-15mw... These 5mw laser pointers seem to be easily modded to be around 50-80mw (IR+G), from what I have read.

I may have to buy one of these things some time as they are so cheap.

just be very careful on pot modding those...

Why is that? They easy to burn out?

Trevor

Why is that? They easy to burn out?

It's just Optotronics have some of the best quality out there; I wouldn't dream of pot modding an Opto laser for fear of burning out a gem of a pointer.

Trevor

Moptsp

Ah. Does Opto use different crystal sets, modules, diodes etc than the new wish style pens everywhere else like DX?

Or does he just find the good ones?
-Moptsp

Trevor

Ah. Does Opto use different crystal sets, modules, diodes etc than the new wish style pens everywhere else like DX?

Or does he just find the good ones?
-Moptsp

He holds his supplier to the highest standards and then cherrypicks the best units to sell, sending units back the manufacturer that don't meed his standards.

Trevor

EVERYONE-1.jpg

seoguy

crazyhobo, I couldn't help but notice that your description of the module and mounting sounded a lot like the new DX modules we have been working with! :yh:

Can you post some pics of that module of yours?

Thanks! :thanks:

crazyhobo, I couldn't help but notice that your description of the module and mounting sounded a lot like the new DX modules we have been working with! :yh:

Sure! It may be a few days until I have access to a decent camera though.

Sure! It may be a few days until I have access to a decent camera though.

I noticed that too...

Check out these: DealExtreme: $7.29 5mW 532nm Green Laser Module (3V 11.9mm)
Is this what the module looks like?

D

Deleted member 8382

your are buying a lotery ticket by doing this. Maybe you get a lot of power (big price), maybe you get some extra mW's (your money back) or you break your laser (you win nothing and lost the money).

Just notice that for 100 tickets only one wins ;)

The WL cores could take a beating with the pot mods because they were basically a Leadlight-110. I really haven't had much luck with modding NewWish pens like the Opto pens though, they always seem maxed out, but it looks like you got a good one.