Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I burned my 532nm laser :/

Probably the most stupid thing I did in a while was running my laser on a 12v battery, Which I thought was a 4v battery.... It ran for 0.1 sec then the driver and/or the diode burned. Probably both:(.

Nevertheless, I'm betting that It can still run with a replacement driver, The laser is a 150mW 532nm from CNI
http://www.cnilaser.com/pdf/pgl-h-532.pdf

Problem is, I don't know the specs for the driver. A diode needs a specific voltage and current right? So If I buy any driver with the needed outputs then it should work. Please recommend a suitable driver

Thanks

They are all driven by 808 IR diodes. Even so, most if not all the 532nm diodes I've seen come in modules with drivers attached. You may need to buy another 100mW module and measure ITS specs to figure this out, unless your driver is still working.

They are all driven by 808 IR diodes. Even so, most if not all the 532nm diodes I've seen come in modules with drivers attached. You may need to buy another 100mW module and measure ITS specs to figure this out, unless your driver is still working.

I can't buy another module. These cni stuff are expensive, I contacted them and they said to bring it for costly repairs. I'm sure all i need to do is solder the right driver to fix it.

I can't buy another module. These cni stuff are expensive, I contacted them and they said to bring it for costly repairs. I'm sure all i need to do is solder the right driver to fix it.

Did you ask them what they set their drivers to?

Your laser is garbage now. You did something dumb and it probably killed both the diode and driver, and if not it's not likely fixable. Your next best step is to save up $ for a new one. How much was that one BTW?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
12 volts? :wtf: You are correct that laser diodes need a current limited power supply. Increasing the voltage supplied to your laser will not give you more output or do anything else good. Unless you have the skill to install a new diode and driver (they are both trashed) and properly align the new diode with the rest of the optics in the laser your best bet is to just get a new module. 100mW modules can be had cheap. Look around on these hallowed pages and you'll find some great links.

Ummm, I've never seen a 12v batt that looked like a 4v batt... :thinking:

Isn't the driver fused or won't other electronics die before the diode? or maybe the diode received permanent damage but is still functioning? that's what i'm hoping

the laser was ~300$ and why did a freakin 12v reach the laser is a long story:p

Last edited:
Probably the most stupid thing I did in a while was running my laser on a 12v battery

61lNajI.png

IsaacT

LOL, rep for that picture Cyparagon! And yeah....if you buy something nice, you should be careful with it. If you aren't, it tells me that you have way too much money to burn. Be careful in the future. We have all made mistakes, but learning from them is the biggest thing.

PS-yes, both diode and driver are blown to sh*t

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
So, Jaximus, just curious, why do you need the CNI module in the first place? A quick look around and I can find (quality) 100mW modules for less than $50 from several sources. It took me less than 2 minutes. Is there something special about the CNI module that makes (made) it worth the extra $250 bux?