Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How To Get Along and Be Accepted at LPF

I'm not looking forward to it at all. I don't want to give the government any more advantages over me. We all do bone head crap from time to time... j-walk, drink in the street in front of our house, drive with registration that is a month over due, etc... The more common public cameras become, eventually we will just be getting citations in the mail. So I say no thank you.

I'm in complete agreement with you.

The problem is the government already has an overwhelming advantage over you, and at present, you have little chance of recourse.

Any situation where it's your word against say a corrupt, or incompetent cop's, you lose.

If you have a camera that's taping the encounter form start to finish though, and one where they know just taking away the device is not enough, you suddenly have an advantage, because it's not longer a question of he said she said, it's on record.

These devices, they wouldn't erode your privacy more than it's gone already. What they would do is equal the playing field, because let's face it, right now, no one really watches the watchers.

Disconcerting that you can be arrested for videotaping LE now :thinking:

~ LB

SCOTUS has consistently ruled that it is in fact fully legal to film any public servant, in a public location, in the execution of their duties.

Unfortunately there is nothing to prevent cops from arresting you anyway, and coming up with a charge later. Even when the charge is dropped, your life gets turned upside down. Bear in mind, less than half of all arrests result in conviction.

Last edited:

Don't mind me.. I'm always a negative nancy until I see the facts :na:
I'm in complete agreement with you.

The problem is the government already has an overwhelming advantage over you, and at present, you have little chance of recourse.

Any situation where it's your word against say a corrupt, or incompetent cop's, you lose.

If you have a camera that's taping the encounter form start to finish though, and one where they know just taking away the device is not enough, you suddenly have an advantage, because it's not longer a question of he said she said, it's on record.

These devices, they wouldn't erode your privacy more than it's gone already. What they would do is equal the playing field, because let's face it, right now, no one really watches the watchers.

SCOTUS has consistently ruled that it is in fact fully legal to film any public servant, in a public location, in the execution of their duties.

Unfortunately there is nothing to prevent cops from arresting you anyway, and coming up with a charge later. Even when the charge is dropped, your life gets turned upside down. Bear in mind, less than half of all arrests result in conviction.

That's a good point. I personally have reservations, but am excited about the technology just the same. Recent protests worldwide and social media I believe have changed things quite a bit. I would see realtime events worldwide on Twitter way before mainstream media.

Yes a dose of reality. Might not stick, but they sure can make your life miserable for a spell.

gixXe.jpg

~ LB

gismo

First of all, I didn't mean any sarcasm with the words I've chosen. I've been out of school for a really long time and I used to be a really good behaving kid at school:D

With all respect, Dave, the message alone sounds as if it's come from a professor...To understand each other now, I absolutely don't question ANY SINGLE WORD you wrote. Because you are right. No sarcasm (again).

My message about respect to all members on the forum was meant well, which you already know, though:) But, as you've stated, not every lpf.com member deserves it, surely not the ones who turned out to be scammers or show-offs. Agreed.

I personally think, it's a good thing people are so different in their opinions.
What a boring place would this world be if we were all "uniformers".
It's a real challenge to master the art of spoken/written communication, where people fully understand each other, not to mention real life situation:can:

Experience and respect.

It's also time to realize that this is not a schoolroom.

Not EVERYBODY in the world or even this forum deserves respect

I will grant that those people are in an extreme minority

However, they do exist

BE READY to show respect,
but BE WARY enough to see:
the con man,
someone looking to do harm,
or a simple psychopath when you see one

Superlatives and universal measures are NOT valid in the real world

Thinking that everyone is universally good
is even more dangerous than thinking that everyone is universally bad

Thinking that everyone is bad will limit your relationships, but it will also help protect you from harm
Thinking that everyone is good, will expose you to the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune

A prejudice is still a prejudice even when you think it is a good thought

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

I totally agree... The cops REALLY don't like to be filmed while
they are filming you... They seem to feel immune to scrutiny..
I know this by a past experience.

Jerry

Last edited:
Might not stick, but they sure can make your life miserable for a spell.

Therein lies the problem. Cops, and government officials, abuse their power all the time.

Especially when there is no evidence to backup your story, you have zero recourse, but proverbially (or possibly literally if you end up in prison) bend over.

You think that story, of him macing the kids would have ever resulted in any actions against that pig, and the university, if it were not for the pictures, and videos?

The answer is an absolute no. The guy would have had a good laugh about it the next day in the locker room with his buddies.

So like a said before... I definitely 100% look forward to the day when cops know that what they do is on candid camera :D

Interesting to note that many police departments already own sunglasses with cameras, for use in training. More interesting to note, these videos NEVER make it to court. Must be the damn lousy unreliable technology... a glitch every time :shhh:

I totally agree... The cops REALLY don't like to be filmed while
they are filming you... They seen to feel immune to scrutiny..
I know this by a past experience.

Jerry

Yup, most of them absolutely despite being filmed.

The reason being is it puts them on the defensive.

In this regard, cameras also work to diffuse the situation a great deal. A cop who knows that he is being filmed will act to the letter of the law. Or ignore it, and risk censure.

About immunity, the problem is, in a way, cops really are immune from any repercussions.

There is a specific term for it, which escapes me at the moment, but essentially what it boils down to, is it's the police department as a whole which is responsible, and of course it's insured, so even if you do win, nothing changes.

It's a screwed up system :undecided:

@Lazerbreak - LOL :p
To be fair, I also seem to always have technical issues come up around 4pm on fridays :shhh:

daguin

First of all, I didn't mean any sarcasm with the words I've chosen. I've been out of school for a really long time and I used to be a really good behaving kid at school:D

With all respect, Dave, the message alone sounds as if it's come from a professor...To understand each other now, I absolutely don't question ANY SINGLE WORD you wrote. Because you are right. No sarcasm (again).

My message about respect to all members on the forum was meant well, which you already know, though:) But, as you've stated, not every lpf.com member deserves it, surely not the ones who turned out to be scammers or show-offs. Agreed.

I personally think, it's a good thing people are so different in their opinions.
What a boring place would this world be if we were all "uniformers".
It's a real challenge to master the art of spoken/written communication, where people fully understand each other, not to mention real life situation:can:

Experience and respect.

Yeah.
It is a force of habit to speak to the "whole class" while answering one student's question :yabbem:

I have just watched too many people get ripped off or hurt because they were trying to be "nice" :yabbmad:

With all of the anti-bullying campaigns running right now, I only see it getting worse
We are teaching our children NOT to defend themselves, but to look to the government to protect them

Historically, governments have not proven worthy of such responsibilities

Peace,
dave

gismo

Wisdom well received:worthy:

The present world (generally written) offers us either way a sheep attitude (the less we're aware of it, the better:cryyy:) or we can choose to go the wolf path, which (sometimes) requires sacrifice of your own identity to achieve "the welfare" of the pack...

Don't take my "thumb-sucking" sort-of half-philosophical virtual words too seriously, Dave. I'm just an ordinary man with a (hopefully not a temporary) weakness for lasers:whistle:

Yeah.
It is a force of habit to speak to the "whole class" while answering one student's question :yabbem:

I have just watched too many people get ripped off or hurt because they were trying to be "nice" :yabbmad:

With all of the anti-bullying campaigns running right now, I only see it getting worse
We are teaching our children NOT to defend themselves, but to look to the government to protect them

Historically, governments have not proven worthy of such responsibilities

Peace,
dave

daguin

Wisdom well received:worthy:

The present world (generally written) offers us either way a sheep attitude (the less we're aware of it, the better:cryyy:) or we can choose to go the wolf path, which (sometimes) requires sacrifice of your own identity to achieve "the welfare" of the pack...

Don't take my "thumb-sucking" sort-of half-philosophical virtual words too seriously, Dave. I'm just an ordinary man with a (hopefully not a temporary) weakness for lasers:whistle:

Oaths of fealty are not required (although cash and prizes are always a bonus;) )

I too am just a poor boy from a poor family <que the music>

Peace,
dave

Oaths of fealty are not required (although cash and prizes are always a bonus;) )

I too am just a poor boy from a poor family <que the music>

Peace,
dave

Spare him his life from this monstrosity!

Good original post sir. Honestly I don't get it. Kids these days I mean - too lazy to read and full of entitlement. And I'm only 31! We have more respect online in my generation.

Last edited:

daguin

Spare him his life from this monstrosity!

Good original post sir. Honestly I don't get it. Kids these days I mean - too lazy to read and full of entitlement. And I'm only 31! We have more respect online in my generation.

Easy come. Easy go.

The VAST majority of the classes I teach are the basic public speaking class
That means I am constantly dealing with 18/19 y/o's that are straight out of the K-12 system here in SoCal

Sometimes my frustration with entitled brats, bleeds over into other parts of my life ;)

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
that is such a great analogy, thanks daguin, i only joined very recently because im very interested in lasers, i only have a few green ones and thats about it, i know a bit about lasers from searching on youtube and on here. i've learnt a lot without even owning or building one myself and have even helped other junior members in their questions, hope my stay is a very joyful and insightful journey, thanks to everyone at LPF.

Last edited: