Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to extract module from laser pen

I have a laserpen that I want to use in a spirograph, so Im trying to extract the module as intact as possible. The tube can suffer :eg:

Do you have some tip of how can I get it?. (I have a dremel multitool that could be useful)

I mean that kind:
313CRmLYvfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

IsaacT

The way I took mine apart when I had one was to make use of a vice. I stuck a long drill bit down the back side of the module and used it and a vice to push the module up til flush and then I just sort of kept pushing on it till it came out. It is a huge pain though and totally counts as ghetto rigging IMO so if you dont care about the pen maybe cut through it? Haha, hope that helps. Also you might try looking on youtube, I'm sure someone has done it.

Isaac :beer:

This has been discussed many times. Try a search and you'll probably find your answer. We'd also need to see the inside with the head screwed off to see what style it is. They all come out differently

insert a small "thing" (like a micro scredriver) into the lens hole, not too deep, then use leverage to pop off the cap. or, use a pair of wire cutters, and start from the bottom section of the top bit (where the spring battery contact is) then just shred it up. All done.

insert a small "thing" (like a micro scredriver) into the lens hole, not too deep, then use leverage to pop off the cap. or, use a pair of wire cutters, and start from the bottom section of the top bit (where the spring battery contact is) then just shred it up. All done.
HELL NO!

No wire cutters!

Alright, here's what you do (for real),

Have a vice, or at least set of good pliers.
Have piece of cloth.

Cover the front end cap (silvery part) in cloth.

Grip very tightly into vice/pliers, and SLOWLY wiggle it out.

The silver cap is pressfitted into the barrel so it doesn't unscrew. Also you can't pull it out at once with force. You need to slowly wiggle it around until you finally work it out. Could take more than one minute for that.

Also, watch where you're going to drop the little brass button once you pull out the cap. Module is threaded into the inside of the cap and will go along with it, but the little brass button, it follows the unwritten household rules: If it's tiny (and it is), if it falls, you're never finding it again. At least not in the same part of the house.

Usually you can't extract module from these crappy laser pen without destroying it. The wall of these pen is too thin.

Blord

Clamp the head in a piece of wood and pull the laser off. It can be done without damage to the head or host.

IMG_4167.JPG

kilter

Check out how Styropyro does it at Styropyro.com!
Hope this helps,
Kilter