Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to extract LPC-815?????

Ive built a couple phr's aready with great success. I wanted to add a red to my collection so I purchased an LPC-815 sled. My question is how do I extract the diode with out killing the LD? the phr's you just crack the heatsink and remove but this one is different

Z mnypit said:
Ive built a couple phr's aready with great success. I wanted to add a red to my collection so I purchased an LPC-815 sled. My question is how do I extract the diode with out killing the LD? the phr's you just crack the heatsink and remove but this one is different

yup this one is a bit tougher........ALOT actually......
you need to cut through the heatsink down to the diode on both sides, then use pliers to twist the heatisnk so the diode pops out.

...i use the serrated edge of my work utility scissors to file it down

Mohrenberg said:
[quote author=Z mnypit link=1234309156/0#0 date=1234309156]Ive built a couple phr's aready with great success. I wanted to add a red to my collection so I purchased an LPC-815 sled. My question is how do I extract the diode with out killing the LD? the phr's you just crack the heatsink and remove but this one is different

you need to cut through the heatsink down to the diode on both sides, then use pliers to twist the heatisnk so the diode pops out.

...i use the serrated edge of my work utility scissors to file it down[/quote]

Thanks, Ill give it a shot

jake21

i take pliers and a mini hack saw and when i get close to the diode i use 2 pliers and snap it in half

Z mnypit said:
[quote author=Mohrenberg link=1234309156/0#1 date=1234310107][quote author=Z mnypit link=1234309156/0#0 date=1234309156]Ive built a couple phr's aready with great success. I wanted to add a red to my collection so I purchased an LPC-815 sled. My question is how do I extract the diode with out killing the LD? the phr's you just crack the heatsink and remove but this one is different

...i use the serrated edge of my work utility scissors to file it down[/quote]

Thanks, Ill give it a shot[/quote]

drew is selling some that are alot easier to extract, these have little bars that make it easier to grip, and they are thinner on two sides so not as much sawing

my method is I take a piece of tape and cover the opening right above the diode so that debris dosnt get inside on the die. I take a dremmel tool and cut the top of the heatsink right to the edge of the diode. The sled acts as an excellent heatsink while cutting. Then I pop out the diode heat sink and break it in half after removing the soldered pins & pcbs.

Can anything be done with the other diode? the one that completely open and odd looking?

Ieon

Z mnypit said:
Can anything be done with the other diode? the one that completely open and odd looking?

Its a weak diode ones ir and ones red I think, IR is not fun if you look in the end ;) neither is the red if you look in the end :p

There not the best diodes out there but they still good for weak lasers.

Kenom

Actually you can get about 100mw of IR from that little babie. So if you like playing with invisible lasers go for it! It's a good testbed for learning how to extract that red diode without damaging it.

Ieon

Kenom said:
Actually you can get about 100mw of IR from that little babie.  So if you like playing with invisible lasers go for it!  It's a good testbed for learning how to extract that red diode without damaging it.

and you can also earn yourself a blindness point, if your gonna do that your still gonna goggles.

daguin

Z mnypit said:

Does it look like this?
longopencandiode2.jpg

Thanks Kendall

If so, THAT is the one you want.  This is the long open can red diode

Peace,
dave

Are there any tutorials on lasers with this diode I have it and I've searched across the forum but couldn't seem to find one. Can someone maybe give me qnlink? Thanks

Dave, I have a LOC but not extracted yet. The 6x red (@ 430mA) temporarily gave me a red fix :)

My question, why does that no connection pin extend that far into the chip side? Is that a cathode option for big fab orders?

--John

Z mnypit said:
Very carefully. Use a fine file to carefully cut through the sink on both sides. Careful not to contaminate the laser die with particles. They carefully twist the sink apart.