Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to clean my laser diode

cleaning the diode window is really not possible with the method you've described. The issue is that any dust or contaminants on the window end up burned on by the power of the laser - so it becomes very challenging if not impossible to do in the first place.

This is why some members have reccomended decanning the diode. Lens-cleaning wipes and compressed air will not give you a satisfactory result.

Ainus

cleaning the diode window is really not possible with the method you've described. The issue is that any dust or contaminants on the window end up burned on by the power of the laser - so it becomes very challenging if not impossible to do in the first place.

This is why some members have reccomended decanning the diode. Lens-cleaning wipes and compressed air will not give you a satisfactory result.
Can my method damage the diode ?

If you're lucky, it won't necessarily damage the diode - but you may leave the diode window covered in streaks and residues or dirtier than it was before, or totally fail at cleaning it if what's there is already burnt on. Best to prevent the diode window getting dirty in the first place.

yeah its weird because if something is burnt into the Diode window it could still be too small to actually see it with the naked eye but still show up on the wall. I have a standard M140 laser and it has definitely got some burnt dust on the window but I still cant see it unless I use a magnifying glass. so amazing how something so small can be magnified so large. as long as you have it zoomed in to infinity it shouldn't make a difference on power and you wont see it except the beam splash which can be annoying :(

Chances are on the higher power diodes when something burns in, it's damaged for good.

However... I have gotten lucky recently with the lower power sharp 488 diodes... all of a sudden the beam quality turned into trash... took out the lens and saw black on the middle of the window. I managed to clean it with a microfiber cloth, using a wooden toothpick to gently wipe the glass window with the microfiber cloth

Ainus

Chances are on the higher power diodes when something burns in, it's damaged for good.

However... I have gotten lucky recently with the lower power sharp 488 diodes... all of a sudden the beam quality turned into trash... took out the lens and saw black on the middle of the window. I managed to clean it with a microfiber cloth, using a wooden toothpick to gently wipe the glass window with the microfiber cloth
Does it work with microfiber cloth

This is for a very low power laser diode. This would not work for anything at 1 watt or higher.

Ainus

Hey I have some realy good news
The dust is not in my diode its in the lens an its actualy melted on the lens

GSS

That's a big relief:) Still have to be careful on how to clean the lens now..

DTR

That is what I was thinking.. Glad it is just your lens.::)