Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to Build Home Made Laser Power Output Meter

T

timelord

Re: How to Build Home Made Laser Power Output Mete

What is CPF???? It's been so long i've forgotten ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Timelord said:
What is CPF???? It's been so long i've forgotten ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Yea I know what you mean, I almost thought it was gone; Update while I can read all of the threads, it won't let me login & thus I can't post yet.....they must still not be finished with its still nice because I was looking for some old threads anyhow.

Kenom

You could use a very nice ND filter I saw in my edmund scientifics catalog. it's a circular stepped Nd filter. You could then start out at the top and work your way down till it was a measurable output that co-insided with your results from a normal LPM. Boy that thing is spendy.

Kenom

Ok so just a heads up.

I posted NEUTRAL feedback to this joker on ebay for this power meter head

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140120936735

I did not like the fact that you had to calculate the difference for different wavelengths other than 650nm.  I also left him neutral feedback cause he was rude.  I initially asked him if in his opinion the laser would be good for testing anything above the rated 50mw.  His response was anything under 100mw would not damage the head.  Not answering my question just stating the head would not be damaged.  I inquired again if it would test anything up to that since it wasn't going to damage the head.  He then responded that just because it wasn't going to damage the head didn't mean it would test a laser at that high of output.  or his actual quote as such

"Hi,
if you read the auction listing... it says....

The Laser Power Module was designed to let the hobbyist technician know
the output power of any Lasers from 400nm to 1100nm.

Can check Lasers from 0.1mW to 50mW output power in 0.1mW increments.

It has been tested and calibrated for the above specs.

If... for instance... you shine a 100 Watt laser on a sensor designed
for
200mW then you would definitely burn that sensor.
What we are saying is that a 100mW laser will not burn the Sensor of
our
Calibrated Laser Power Meter Optical Sensor Head Module.

If you need to check lasers up to 200mw then you need to spend a lot
more money than what we are asking for this item and buy a commercial
Laser Power Meter."

Can you say condesending?

Ok so I buy his module with the intent of sending it to SenKat to play with.  I get the pdf he send as instructions and review it.  I'm more than happy to show anyone the pdf if they want to see it.

Ok so I leave neutral feedback stating "'not useful for green 532nm laser. rude communication. will not buy from again'
and he emails me with this.

"'not useful for green 532nm laser. rude communication. will not buy from again'

How can you comment on something that you have not even tested.

There was nothing rude in the E-Mail that we replied to and sent to you...

If someone is rude it is you....

Due to your insulting comments... you have been placed on our Blocked Bidders List and have been included in our E-Mail Spam filter.

Your item shipped today... before we received your outrageous Feedback comments.

We shipped it by Light Packet USA. The PayPal shipping
label Reference number of your parcel is *************.

From Canada...through the US Customs.... and down to
your location expect the package to take anywhere from 3 to 5
weeks. "

Again rude and insulting.  Did he purposefully change the shipping method to something slower??  3-5 WEEKS?
Not to mention he then left NEGATIVE feedback for me. "SELLERS BEWARE-THIS GUY IS A WHINER-OVER 100 HAPPY Laser Module Users..BLOCK HIM"  His comment to my NEUTRAL feedback was thus. "THIS RUDE GUY DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO MULTIPLY 2 NUMBERS TOGETHER... 100 HAPPY USERS"  His auction specifically stated "without the need to calculate a mathematical formula."
am I incorrect in understanding that multiplication is math?

So you are now informed as to the actions of this person and can choose to do business with this person or not.  I left neutral feedback because I wasn't going to condone his business practices but I wasn't going to slam it either.  I was not happy with the product yet at the same time wasn't going to reduce his feedback by slandering him.

You decide.  I can't choose for you but I wanted you to be aware.

Y

yew.sir-name

so it looks like the ebay meter may not be so great? gotta love ebay... my laser finaly came, woo, it's heavier than i thought it would be, and sqinty bright. gonna hit the supermarket in a mo to get some lithium batterys, and point at some stuff

yew.sir-name said:
so it looks like the ebay meter may not be so great? gotta love ebay... my laser finaly came, woo, it's heavier than i thought it would be, and sqinty bright. gonna hit the supermarket in a mo to get some lithium batterys, and point at some stuff
Congrats on your new Laser, which one did you just get?

Y

yew.sir-name

i have a dx 30, already i crave more power, and the only batteries i could get are energizer ultimate, i found aa lithiums but they were £7 ($14) for a pack of two. the ultimate made the beam more visible in daylight, which is what i wanted, so... woo

Kenom

Well the vaunted LPM is in my hands and soon to be off to SenKat to play with. I figured since I had it in my hands and since I'm an unscrupulous lout who needs to be blocked by all sellers I figure what the heck. Might as well take pictures of it and post it here.

Soo...

I've update my original post on this subject;
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1179663591/45

Update: OK so I had some time today and I tested the Red 5mw 635nm on a Professional Laser Meter and I got only 4mw for it. For the Green 5mw 532nm I got 6mw. So as you can see by the above original test I done with the ebay sensor, it really is not that accurate. :eek:

No, just look it's in the index

Y

yew.sir-name

steve001 said:
No, just look it's in the index

if you cant find it how do you expect me to? i think i'll pass

yew.sir-name said:
[quote author=steve001 link=1179663591/75#75 date=1181747373]No, just look it's in the index

if you cant find it how do you expect me to? i think i'll pass[/quote]

I don't recall saying I cannot find it. Here's how you find it's really simple with the link I provided.
Click the link. You should see this text in bold at the top of the page

Safety, Info, Links, Parts, Types, Drive, Construction
A Practical Guide to Lasers for Experimenters and Hobbyists

See the bold text that reads TABLE of CONTENTS I'll assume you see it.
Look down a bit further, see the text beginning with Part 1-- Basics, Safety, General Information, Instruments, Applications, Experiments- again I'll assume see it.

Under that heading do you see the text that reads Items of Interest- Laser power meters, Fabry-Perot and DFB types, wavelengths, speckle, collimation, etc.
There, it's that easy

Steve --

I drove right to it.... Lots of info there for the asking AND it's free :)

Mike

Kenom said:
Well the vaunted LPM is in my hands and soon to be off to SenKat to play with. I figured since I had it in my hands and since I'm an unscrupulous lout who needs to be blocked by all sellers I figure what the heck. Might as well take pictures of it and post it here.
It's been awhile now, how did you make out with testing your sensor? I found that using it for 635nm it's really not bad, and for the price it's great.........However for 532nm it's almost worthless, readings are too skewed.