Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How shock resistant are diodes?

I was just looking at an ad for a (high end) green laser sight from barska and I was thinking about how much of a pain it must be to totally shock-proof a green module. How shock resistant are diodes compared to DPSS assemblies? I know someone on this site has a high-end BR diode on his AR...

Diodes are much more shock resistant, but I don't think anyone has made a graph or anything.

hmm... A divergent strobing >1watt 445nm sure would be effective as a handgun sight...

It sure as hell would! I'd go for it. Buy one of those red sights and swap out the diode.

I'm prob wrong someone speak up and say so if you know for sure but I believe I have heard they can survive a 300G shock.

Whoa! I don't think the recoil of a small handgun round would generate near that much. Fun fact:fighter pilots eject at 20Gs, which is the very limit of spinal tolerance, and this force will often decrease their height by over an inch for a few days or weeks.

Edit:also, I'm sure you could direct drive a 445 diode off a very small li-ion battery (I forget what they are called). Then it would easily fit in one of those cheapy airsoft sights.

Don't expect it to last long driven off of button cells. Lipos are where it's at.

Asherz

A while ago I decided to see how much of a beating it could take, press fitted the diode using a hammer and the back of the aixiz module to bang the diode into the head of the module, from there got the module stuck in a really tight heatsink, so I got a hammer and a small screw driver, removed the lens and put the screw driver head next to the press fitted diode inside the aixiz module and banged the module out of the heatsink, put it into a new heatsink powered it up and it was still going strong :)

I've thrown an Aixiz module with a PHR in it at the wall out of frustration once. I was aiming for the trash bin. I thought I cooked the diode. Turned out to be a bad solder joint.
The diode was fine.

Also, I once spun a 6X (in Aixiz) in a dremel reeeeally fast. It came loose and hit the wall pretty damned hard. I was worried it had died.
The diode was fine.

Also, I don't think greenies are as delicate as some think. I've dropped quite a few modules onto tile, wood, and concrete from more than a couple feet and I never broke one.

Things

Depends on each individual laser. Since most green lasers just have their crystals glued in place, it'd be easier to break that off than kill anything.

Diodes have such little mass that they can withstand some pretty wild forces and survive.

Don't expect it to last long driven off of button cells. Lipos are where it's at.
I'm talking about these Li+ batteries I've seen forum members use-they're not button cells, they're rechargeable and granted they would only give you a few minute's use depending on power that would be all you need.

Also, I don't think greenies are as delicate as some think. I've dropped quite a few modules onto tile, wood, and concrete from more than a couple feet and I never broke one.
I dropped a waterproof 30mW green I had a while back on the carpet from about two feet and from then on it never did TEM00 again. Sadly, my compulsive desire to try and repair/modify it led me to utterly destroying it and spending lots of money making it use a PHR, and then in the end the tailcap broke and I just blew up the host lol. Looking back on that, I was a complete retard. It was still a perfectly good 15mW or so...

^Same thing happened to me with my 250mw. Albeit it was a much harder and higher drop but it never did TEM00 again. Still lases at about 300mw though, but with a sucky 2 mRad.

Definitely not. :/ It was ~$500 when I bought it last year. (prices sure have come down huh?)

I plan on buying a rayfoss 600mW by the end of the year anyway.