Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How real are these things?

What I mean is, are these laser beams visible at night?

Those 16x sony LDs, is the finished laser beam visible outside without heavy fog or rain?

I can see my 200 mW reds at night. They aren't as show off as a greenie by any means but if you are behind the laser, you will see it.
However, a 16x red has more power available for burning.

Mike

thanks mike

I was just wondering cause that would be cool to see.

now, I'm questioning the aixiz module, will it make the LD light coherent?

how hard is it to focus the beam?

I'm just asking cause mine isn't in the mail yet.

any videos?

In my experience if focused close it is a torch at a distance and visa versa, I am looking at collimating mine to improve it.

Regards rog8811

Gazoo

Phazonx,
Please refer to this thread.

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1183489085

Any of the Aizix modules are easy to focus and produce a nice visible beam. I can see mine indoors with the lights on! But it will appear brightest when looking down the beam path in either direction. Of course be very careful when looking towards the beam. The beam is powerful enough to blind you instantly if you look directly into it.

Things

the aixiz module doesn't colluminate the laser, it just focuses it to a small point, and it has adjustable focus so you can change that focal point.

I found on mine that if you take it real slow you can get it almost perfect. But that is almost :p

Greenie said:
I found on mine that if you take it real slow you can get it almost perfect.  But that is almost :p
I got bored one night and I took an Aixiz 5mW 635nm module and got the divergence down to .19 mRad after 15 minutes, that was fun. Only if my X105 had that good of divergence!

Skram0

things said:
the aixiz module doesn't colluminate the laser, it just focuses it to a small point, and it has adjustable focus so you can change that focal point.
Is there a way to have your cake and eat it too? Meaning, can you use an Aixiz module and also collimate the beam? With a mod? Or do you need whole different module for that?

things said:

Focusing the Aixiz module "at infinity" is the equivalent of collimating the laser. You can do that on Aixiz modules with the red diodes.

S

SenKat

So, Pseudo - it just most likely would not have very good divergence, right ? I guess I need to go back to optics 101 !!!

G !

hm. just some technicality -
coherent = laser light, meaning very precise wavelength.
collimated = edges of beam are (very close to) parallel, so the beam is the same width all the way along.
a module with adjustable focus can be either focussed to a point for specific power or collimated.
BTW, a red will never be as visible as a green (of equivalent power), as green is about 160% more visible to the human eye than red, because there are more green cones (colour sensing cells) in the eye than red or blue.

SenKat said:
So, Pseudo - it just most likely would not have very good divergence, right ? I guess I need to go back to optics 101 !!!

G !

huh? I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get one of your diodes pretty well collimated in an AixiZ module. Any way you look at it, its not gunna be possible to have a laser that doesn't diverge, but for instance: if your minimum diameter along the beam is 2mm, it would be possible to get divergence down as low as ~0.4-0.5mRad.

@ Bluefusion, 532nm is actually much more than 160% more visible than 660nm. I remember once shining a ~130mW pulsar next to a ~4mW green leadlight, and the leadlight still beat out the pulsar in terms of visibility (that may have to do with the pulsar having a large beam diameter too though)

Things

4mw green brighter than 130mw red? that would have been funny to see ;D. i know it's true though!

Skram0

But do the optics in the Aixiz contain some form of collimating material to get the beams coming out all parallel?

I did a bit more searching and found here "en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collimator" which shows an example of collimated beams. Also found here "en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collimated_light#Lasers" where they state "Laser light is normally automatically collimated because it is formed in a chamber between two such mirrors". So I guess real collimation of the laser beam is not necessary, but I wonder if doing so could produce a bit more burn power or beam distance.

vizp

This may not be the best thread for these comments, so a move to a better thread is welcome, as is making the links actual hypertext links.

The relative spectral sensitivity of the human eye is central to understanding and predicting how bright a laser of a particular wavelength and power will appear when compared with a laser of the same power emitting green light close to the peak spectral sensitivity of the human eye. This link gives some actual numbers for such comparisons: //everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=805569&lastnode_id=44782

Here is a link that provides quite an update (esp. for techies!) on the eye and vision in general:
//4colorvision.com/
which describes some basic discoveries over the last decade or two that constitute something of a substantive revolution in the science of animal vision.