Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How is this done?

i would give both my nuts for 2 unused 500mw diodes.
i would love to have a 5W projector just need more red!

Ask Lazeerer, he's a member here :)

EDIT: In fact:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/1-1w-635nm-build-fenix-tk35-host-using-ml501p73-diode-69847.html

But note that he has a 500mW diode. They're awesome diodes (I have one running in a build also), but they're near impossible (if not impossible) to find right now.

Yea what's the deal with the 500's being so difficult to find? I've been looking all over for them, hell I even went all the way down the mitsubishi supply chain seeing if one of there smaller distributors had them and still nothing.

So was the strobe an element of the power supply/host/driver or is it a propert of the diode?

ts

Ablaze

The executive overview:

Some diodes have three inputs: positive, negative, and modulation. Modulation controls the brightness of the laser. Lazeerer is using a diode that can be modulated, and a driver that takes advantage of this feature.

Knowing how to make a driver for your diodes is the hard part. Once you know that it's easy to make one that cycles through different modes. Lazeerer has done a really good job here. The strobe effect is done by programming the chip on the driver.

Last edited:

rhd

The executive overview:

Some diodes have three inputs: positive, negative, and modulation. Modulation controls the brightness of the laser. Lazeerer is using a diode that can be modulated, and a driver that takes advantage of this feature.

Knowing how to make a driver for your diodes is the hard part. Once you know that it's easy to make one that cycles through different modes. Lazeerer has done a really good job here. The strobe effect is done by programming the chip on the driver.

This is basically entirely incorrect, as far as I know.

I've never seen a common diode with an input for "modulation".

The above is done with a driver that had modes, including strobe. End of story :)

Ablaze

If you say so rhd.. I thought I saw a few... somewhere.

No matter.

rhd

If you say so rhd.. I thought I saw a few... somewhere.

No matter.

Not on any of the diodes we use here (405s, 445s, 635s, 650s, etc).

I don't want to speak in absolutes, because that is always dangerous, but I can't imagine why you would need a separate input on the diode for "modulation", or for that matter, what it would even be electrically connected to on the die itself. Doesn't seem the least bit logical to me.

Ablaze

Well you have far more experience with diode design than I do rhd. I saw something that seemed like a diode with a modulateable input.. perhaps it was more than just a diode. In any case, thanks for enriching us all with your presence.

rhd

Well you have far more experience with diode design than I do rhd. I saw something that seemed like a diode with a modulateable input.. perhaps it was more than just a diode. In any case, thanks for enriching us all with your presence.

I don't know if that was sarcastic, tongue and cheek, or whatnot. But I don't have any experience with diode design. I don't know of anyone here that does. :confused:

Diodes do not have a modulation input. I'm pretty sure we can say it's a definite on that one. It's possible there may be small diode-size modules with a modulation input, but inside the unit there would be electronic circuitry that performs the modulation by varying power to the diode.

Ablaze

Don't be so modest rhd. I'm sure you've worked first hand with dozens of diodes, if not hundreds. I would call that experience with diode design.. I never meant it as experience designing diodes.

How does one say "no sarcasm was intended" without sounding sarcastic?