Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How does the class system work?

No explanation on the forums, but I see that my class has changed from Junior Member to Class 1 Laser after a few posts and comments. Does the class increase with "n point(s) total" seen on the user cp, rep points, number of posts, does it represent if admins approve of your posts, or a ratio of all these things?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Your class changes with post count only, I think at 50 posts your status changes to class 1 laser, and your rep points are now visible.
At 100 posts I think it will change again to class1m laser. There is a thread out there somewhere that lists the post counts at which your class changes, maybe someone can find it.

You can now rep people, and have your rep points added to their rep. :)
Your rep power when giving a +rep is your rep number/100. In other words, with your rep at 23, when you give +rep, the person gets .23 of a rep point.

Edit: When you give a -rep, only 1/2 of your rep count is subtracted from the member.

Edit #2: This is the info. from the thread I was looking for! :D It was originally posted in a thread started by "karbon". -Link-

• 0-29 Posts = Junior Member
  • 30-49 Posts = Member
  • 50-99 Posts = Class 1 Laser
  • 100-249 Posts = Class 1M Laser
  • 250-499 Posts = Class 2 Laser
  • 500-999 Posts = Class 2M Laser
  • 1000-2499 Posts = Class 3R Laser
  • 2500-4999 Posts = Class 3B Laser
  • 5000+ Posts = Class 4 Laser

Last edited:
I Have also been wondering about this! Thanks Bowtie for the information!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
No problem, I've added a complete list of member classes from 1 to 5000+ posts.

I have noticed a similar system of rank based on post count on other forums before and some people here show something completely different from those listed above. I think it should be changed. I think new members should start out as a "Stinking drunk" or a "Homeless bum" or a "Stupid idiot" or some such thing, :crackup: and then progress to something like "Laser technician" "Engineer" "Scientist" "Professor" etc. What do you think?

Alan

I think new members should start out as a "Stinking drunk" or a "Homeless bum" or a "Stupid idiot" or some such thing, :crackup: and then progress to something like "Laser technician" "Engineer" "Scientist" "Professor" etc. What do you think?

I really enjoy this what you said here. I'm all in for that. Also that there should be many many sub-echelons within the Class 1-IV ranks, just for the novelty of variety.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I have noticed a similar system of rank based on post count on other forums before and some people here show something completely different from those listed above. I think it should be changed. I think new members should start out as a "Stinking drunk" or a "Homeless bum" or a "Stupid idiot" or some such thing, :crackup: and then progress to something like "Laser technician" "Engineer" "Scientist" "Professor" etc. What do you think?

Alan

Pi, with your avatar, and with that rating system in place, you would definitely have to
be classified as "Scientist", or more appropriately "Mad Scientist"! ;)

New members would probably be encouraged to post more often, who wants to be a "Stinking Drunk" for very long? :crackup:

APEX1

Alan

I think that's a great idea... also this should be a sticky lmao

Last edited:
What do the dark & light green squares signify?
I notice that a fair amount of members have 5 dark and 6 light squares under their rep power number. My rep number just changed moments ago(Thanks :) ) but the green squares stayed exactly the same.

What do the dark & light green squares signify?
I notice that a fair amount of members have 5 dark and 6 light squares under their rep power number. My rep number just changed moments ago(Thanks :) ) but the green squares stayed exactly the same.

I don't think really anything, just a way to show a difference between the squares.

Also, it seems every 500 posts you get +1 rep power added to you :beer:

-Alex

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
As far as I know, it's just a visual indicator to estimate reputation, but as you've already noticed, it's not too accurate.
Someone with a lower positive rep of, let's say 35 has the same amount of green squares as a member with 500 rep points.

There are 5 dark green squares followed by 6 lighter green ones.

Here is a list of sayings, or "quotes" associated with each of the green squares; these were copied from another thread -Link-, the post was from member "OrionBLF"

1) X is infamous around these parts (1 red bar);
2) X is an unknown quantity at this point (1/0 green bar);
3) X is on a distinguished road (1/0 green bar);
4) X will become famous soon enough (1-2/0 green bars);
5) X has a spectacular aura about (2-3/0 green bars);
6) X is a jewel in the rough (3-4/0 green bars);
7) X is just really nice (4-5/0 green bars);
8) X is a glorious beacon of light (5/0 green bars);
9) X is a name known to all (5/0-1 green bars);
10) X is a splendid one to behold (5/1-3 green bars);
11) X has much to be proud of (5/3-5 green bars);
12) X has a brilliant future (5/5-6 green bars);
13) X has a reputation beyond repute (5/6 green bars).

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the information and help as always :)
I am very happy to be rubbing elbows with such nice people :beer:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
What She said ^^^^

:yh:

(apologies for necroposting)

Last edited: