Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How do I pinpoint a wifi source?

Teej

If its a wifi signal...I think that's a different frequency range than used for remote control devices such as drones?

Also, most game cameras are passive, in that they have a motion detector (IR for example) that starts/stops recording as something moves in its detection path.

The user than goes and downloads the data, and resets it, etc.

If its using wifi, that has a limited range, so, a game camera using wifi would need a transmitter to then uplink the collected data or live images, etc...to reach someone not on the property, perhaps a cell phone type link, etc. (Telemetry equipment, etc).

To detect THAT, you'd need to be able to detect cell phone related frequencies...and, you'd need to do it during a transmission (No detection of a receiver, only of a transmitter).

IE: Wifi is not a long enough range game cam technique unless the user is already onsite.

There ARE cell phone frequency type game cameras that can test, email, etc, when game is found...but the Wifi versions are meant for the hunter to be able to download the data via wifi, instead of unmounting the camera to get the SD card out, etc. (They are not transmitting otherwise).

I don't know of any game cameras that use wifi other than that use...as even 100' is a long range for wifi...and a few hundred feet would be the limit w/o a directional transmission dish, etc.

Last edited:
TW
since you indicate you are willing to spend a few $$ you can buy your own simple motion-sensing GameCam
for 70$ each and do a little spying on your own --

also in China they make 'bug/wire/spy/hiddenCam" detectors VERY cheap($10) now but don't know if they would help you with this..

nice to see so many helping-- proves we are 'family'

hak

I really do appreciate all the help from everybody. You guys are great.

I am still collecting data with the wifi analyzer app and will post screen captures soon. I need to take another walk and see if I can find the signals again.

@Hak: I have a few trail cameras set up around the property. I'll post some picks of what they caught recently. ( only 4 legged critters so far )

I buddy of mine used to have his trail cameras stolen from time to time, he then modified one with razor blades imbedded in the back side. One day he went out and saw blood all over the camera where someone had tried to rip it off the tree it was strapped to.

I must agree with the earlier comment, it would be too much of a waste of energy to have one of those battery operated camera's continually transmitting WiFi, they would run down too fast unless a rather complex setup with a solar panel, something no one would dare put up without permission on private property, I would think. I know how you feel about hunters just up and coming on the property to hunt, I had this same problem on a 80 acre farm I grew up on in Ohio, people would just walk on in and start shooting without a word to the owners.

^^^^ OHIO??

It's plenty cold there (I'm from Canton)-- I moved south ha ha

ATM being in Alaska would prolly kill me--lol

After much wandering around I have been unable to pinpoint the source of the mystery wifi signals. It makes no sense. There is just nothing out here.

How far away does a home wif signal travel outside? Is it possible that I'm detecting one of my neighbors over 1/2 miles away?

Elk video http://vid586.photobucket.com/albums/ss308/apolluon669/trail cam/elk_zpsvly1hdxw.mp4

here are some pics from my trail cameras.
IMG_0070_zpsf17b1958.jpg

PRMS0128_zps965c9da7.jpg

IMG_0013_zps539ef16b.jpg

Nothing in your house? Your own smart phone?

Re: Ohio, yes cold, colder there in the winter than where I am at in Alaska due to the high humidity, we have relatively dry air here and the cold doesn't bite through so easily.

If you have an apple device there is an app called "Net Analyzer" that can scan a wifi network and tell you every device connected to it (not just the mac address, but actual hardware info too), but that's only good if you can connect to the wifi signals.

Some drones operate on wifi Tx/Rx instead of normal 2.4G or 900M protocols, they're aimed at the smart phone community.

Wifi signals can travel a long distance IF THERE IS UNOBSTRUCTED LINE OF SIGHT, such as with a drone, a tower, across a water way, etc.

How strong are these wifi signals you're seeing?

How far can they travel across barren fields? Everything has been harvested and the fields are now covered in snow. Nothing around here is flat. Everything is gently rolling hills.

Could I be picking up a neighbor above me on a hill almost 1 mile away?

here are some other signals i've seen.

red spectrum is our local tribal internet company.
Screenshot_2015-01-05-15-27-06_zps77636e08.png

Screenshot_2015-01-04-18-21-23_zps05b79e87.png

Last edited:
Way too many to be a drone.

Can you drive up near that neighbor on a hill and run the wifi analyzer up there? If you see some of the above signals peak you can determine it is from them. They could be using a wifi/2.4G amplifier or directional antenna array, which would explain why you are seeing it from your house. Most routers run at about 100mW output power (20dBm).

As a licensed radio operator I was once tempted to install a 2.4G amplifier AND 2.4g antenna array... running around 500Watts (57dBm). I decided it wasn't worth the expense and trouble. But it would have let me access my wifi from almost a mile away. The issue is then that your wireless devices are putting out a much weaker signal, so outbound data wouldn't connect, unless you had an amplifier and antenna on the wireless device... thus making it not wireless anymore.

Near the house your own wifi signal was -54dBm or 0.000004mW (4 nanowatts).

Last edited: