Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How do I open this?

This may be hard without pics. I don't have a digital camera and my webcam takes horribly dark pictures. So I will try to explain to the best of my ability.

I will be talking about a pen style laser pointer.
I've got the laser disassembled to the point that the battery compartment is off and the small cap that goes directly over the diode is off.
But the problem I'm having is extracting the driver and diode from the housing because of the momentary switch protruding from the top of the pen. Also it seems that the driver and the diode are residing within a smaller circumference brass cylinder that is lodged within the actual metal body of the housing. Nothing will budge. How would you guy go about this? Can some lasers just not be taken apart without causing extensive damage?

daguin

We would really need pictures to know.

However, some lasers are glued fairly effectively together

Peace,
dave

Depends on if you want to keep the host or not...

I have sliced the pen open with a dremel tool and abrasive cutting wheel, just use great care.

But nowadays we can get nice modules so cheap it's almost pointless to hack open a pen pointer.

I'm just doing this mostly for the experience... I just want to look at the driver and what not. I have another if things go wrong. And yea, I think I'm going to get a dremel and slice off a part of the housing and then try to pull the diode out with some needle nose pliers.. if not Ill figure something out.

Look around the top of the host, where the module sticks out a little. Also shine a flashlight down the host, to examine the back end of the module.
Do you see any signs of glue?
If not, it is probably not glued in (it still may be, but generally they are sloppy with the glue and you can spot it)
First thing to try before destroying the host is;
Wrap a couple wraps of tape around the top of the host.(to protect it)
Wrap the threads of the module that stick out from the host with 2 wraps of Aluminum cut from a soda can. (cut it 1/4" X 3")
Wrap it as tight as possible around the threads of the module.
Wrap that with 1 turn of duct or masking tape. (to keep the Al in place)
Take a pair of pliers, regular pliers with the little serrations on the jaws, firmly grasp the modules thread area.
Rock the pliers back and forth while pulling outward.
Do this in 90 degree rotations of the host.IE: move the module in four directions.
Keep working at it. It may take 10 minutes of this "rocking and pulling". If you pull hard enough that the pliers comes off, the module is probably glued.
Don't worry about the button, the silicone will "give" enough to allow the button to slide off the switch on the module. NOTE: Jayrob style hosts have to have the button removed from the outside of the host before pulling module.
Most modules can be removed from the host without destroying it. Even the glued ones can be loosened by squirting a drop at a time, of Acetone or MEK, between the module and host, keeping the joint wet for up to 1 hour, that cheap glue will come loose.

If all this fails then break out the Dremel Tool (I have never been forced to that point, most come right out)
Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Update-
I ended up literally cutting up the housing with heavy gauge wire cutters. It worked pretty well, just use a cut then rotate motion to curl up the metal. I have the diode and driver out with the battery terminal spring and everything sitting in my little component tackle box. The back part of the host that holds the batts. is still fine lol don't exactly know why I'm keeping it but -meh.
No funds right now to get anything else really I'm having to pay for SAT's and AP tests that are about 60$ a pop.