Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

how can i get electronic data from unknown laser diode

equal

hi,

how can get operation voltage, current from a unknown laser diode

my consideration:
a laboratory power supply and a temperature sensor on the back from the diode ? careful increasing voltage and current with continous measure temperature ?

any (better) ideas ?

Yes that would work. The problem though is without a laser power meter you are not going to be able to tell where the peak is. Some diodes won't have a "curve" they will just pop though. If it is an expensive diode I wouldn't push it.

hi,

how can get operation voltage, current from a unknown laser diode

my consideration:
a laboratory power supply and a temperature sensor on the back from the diode ? careful increasing voltage and current with continous measure temperature ?

any (better) ideas ?

No that certainly will not work! You must have an LPM and a bench power supply. Press the diode in its module and put it in a proper heat sink, you don't want it overheating while testing it in this way. Then slowly increase the current while watching the power on the LPM until you reach the point where the power output drops with an increase in current. When this happens you are a little way past the safe maximum current and are in danger of killing the diode, so at that point cut the power and consider the max current to be a little less.

Alan

No that certainly will not work! You must have an LPM and a bench power supply. Press the diode in its module and put it in a proper heat sink, you don't want it overheating while testing it in this way. Then slowly increase the current while watching the power on the LPM until you reach the point where the power output drops with an increase in current. When this happens you are a little way past the safe maximum current and are in danger of killing the diode, so at that point cut the power and consider the max current to be a little less.

Alan

Well put PI,
Some folks want to build lasers but they don't want to do there home work on something of interest. Or go and explain the the method of getting the results on a particular issue. Thank you PI, that was like a breath of fresh air pal. If you don't have the tools don't build it.

Rich:)

equal

Hi,

thanks for the hints, i will look for a laser power meeter

is a LPM urently required ?

Press the diode in its module and put it in a proper heat sink, you don't want it overheating while testing it in this way. Then slowly increase the current while watching the power on the LPM until you reach the point where the power output drops with an increase in current.
can i measure the light power with a photodiode circuit ? I only need the point where the power output is going down. could ba an interims solution ???

Greetings

@Lifetime17: let me guess. you never were a beginner?

Last edited:
Hi I'm not being rude by all means it's just these are simple questions That are in the LPF Google search bar. Yes i was a beginner at one time, but i never asked a question to were i can find it myself. I might have asked for a link for something maybe twice. your going to need quite a few things to build.Make a list of stuff you will need a check them off.
Here is a sample question to use the searcher for.:: what power soldering iron can i use.
What solder is the best for building
What lenses are best for 445nm..and so on.
Hope this helps sorry if i came off on the rough side , that was not my intention really.
Buy your equipment little at a time don't be in a rush mistakes in this hobby are very costly.
Believe me i messed up quite a few times $$$$ down the drain. Slow is better buddy..

Glad to have you here :: Rich:)

Last edited: