Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How big is too big? Maybe this one is? Doesn't matter trinh hong phuoc will build it :)

Actually, there is an extension tube on it in the photo, but I have tubes from the other hosts I could use to make it longer and I agree, it would be and at some point too much voltage for the driver too.

Gabe

Man this is exciting. I haven’t seen anything previous to this, is the crystal assembly something you put together yourself? Any thoughts on figuring out how to get some batteries to run in parallel inside the tube so that you can extend the runtime without worrying about overvoltage? Or is there something I’m missing

I have the KTP heater assembly and crystal out of a large Coherent Thor laser which was capable of 15 watts of 532 nm green and the full Z-Fold optics and YVO4 out of a Coherent Avia laser capable of 50 watts green when the YVO4 was driven with two FAP's, but due to running off of batteries I want to use just one FAP800 so not sure how well this will work out as the YVO4 is meant to be double end pumped. If I end pump just one side of that crystal it won't be a Z-Fold cavity and more straight forward using an HR and OC. I will probably pay a price in efficiency trying to use that crystal as end pumped, hell, it might not work at all that way, we will see. I don't expect this project will go smoothly and in the end I might not use those parts at all and get something else for it.

Perhaps the YVO4 out of the Spectra Physics ZLM Z-Fold will work for limited duty cycle, the YVO4 crystal in that unit put out more than 10 watts CW which was also meant to be pumped with two FAP800 modules. Maybe the crystal from that unit can be pushed to 20 watts of 1064 nm output for intermittent duty, not sure. I have other YVO4 crystals to work with which are mounted in heat sinks. It will be awhile to see what I can do, I could also get a fiber combiner and run it backwards to split the power from one FAP800 to use it in a Z-Fold configuration but I don't have that yet. They are not designed to be run backwards and would have some loss that way, I'm talking about this with someone who used to make them and is retired now.

I have several 40 watt FAP800 units made for pumping YVO4 crystals, so I could just use two and run each at half to one third output power to make this wortk with the ZLM or Avia YVO4 optics and crystals, that might be what I am forced to do.

Here's a photo showing the two sizes Trinh made:

Due to their size Trinh had a hell of a time getting these made, the first one he tried would not machine without bending the head, he should come in and take a bow for such nice engineering.

Last edited:

Gabe

That’s some gorgeous machining. I’m excited to see how problems will occur and how they’ll be dealt with, I’ll be following this

GSS

Chris, what is the finish on these hosts?
Looks like he might of sand or soda blasted them?

Last edited:
They are anodized with something silver-gray, sure looks great. I had some of them anodized, others without it. Looking at the photo just now I realized I coupled a section with the on button from one which was not anodized, will swap that out with the correct one (smaller one).

Reactions: GSS
Great work indeed, he has a bright coherent future in front of him if he keeps at the grind stone and builds another Sanwu business.

Here are the hosts with the correct anodized parts on them:

The thing I like most about having Trinh build hosts for me is all I need to do is tell him what I want in general terms and he does the rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Should beat the pants off a NUBM44 pointer or my old ghetto monster, wouldn't you agree?

It is not a hand held pointer you sillies, it's a battery operated portable lab laser, or will be. Although you can hold it by cradling in one arm and steering with the other as with many other lab lasers too, unless a weakling. Just looking at this thing gives me super powers!

Edit: If too heavy you can use the smaller of the two... No wait, you don't have one... even better probably don't want one which is fine with me, there can only be one largest laser pointer in the world! It's so big no one dare compete (that's what she said too).

Last edited:

Gabe

It is not a hand held pointer you sillies, it's a battery operated portable lab laser, or will be. Although you can hold it by cradling in one arm and steering with the other as with many other lab lasers too, unless a weakling. Just looking at this thing gives me super powers!
You’ll definitely look like you have super powers too! It’s not often you hear someone say “I’d be unhappy with anything less than 10W”