Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HotY2010: Semi-finals poll part 1!!

What is your torch-style Host of the Year for 2010?

• TTerbo's PHR Beast

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • lazeerer Cree SacredFire

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • qumefox's Tank007

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • Jayrob SolarForce

Votes: 15 13.0%
  • DTR 2W Frankenstien Ultrafire RL-2088

Votes: 56 48.7%
  • AUTO XX's High power heatsink Combo kit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wannaburn's Copperhead handhelds

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Flaminpyro's SH-032 with Triple Tritium focussing ring

Votes: 21 18.3%

• Total voters
Too bad this one didn't get in the Poll.....
1.9W Ehgemus RPL Stlyle 26650 Host

This is the one I got..... really sweet!... and beautiful with the masterful artwork of Ehgemus!... One bad bad boy!

Of course final product created by DTR!.... Kinda like the Frankenstein in a different package.

Instead of using the Flexmod P3 linear driver, it uses two flexdrives instead.
All in a slightly more compact package thats IMO can't get much more beautiful and has virtually the same final output with one battery.

i consider it a cousin to the Frankenstein since the good Dr. created them both!

There are some who consider it a desirable factor to have their laser mistaken for a flashlight at first glance.... not me!.... I want it to look as fine and space-age as possible.

Last edited:

Bobby

There has to be a Thomas Edison to inspire others to do what they do as they build upon his work.
I thought your overall post was spot-on, but Edison was a "#2" per your definition -- there were very few things he outright invented; most all of his inventions were taking others' work and making it mass-produceabe (a feat in itself, but not blazing the original trail).

Last edited:
I thought your overall post was spot-on, but Edison was a "#2" per your definition -- there were very few things he outright invented; most all of his inventions were taking others' work and making it mass-produceabe (a feat in itself, but not blazing the original trail).

I have a lot of good ideas myself... ones that would or "should" be very marketable in my field if I just knew how to put it all together and market it.

My hats always off to someone who can take the tools and pieces of others work and make something people can actually use that slams the competition and "old head" thinkers.

Those that think out of the box is what made America Great!..... Its whats making Japan great now!... LOL!

I expect when we see the 5W barrier breached.... I wouldn't be surprised if key people on this forum have something to do with it!

Always fun to see what cost thousands put in perspective and brought down to earth to cost only hundreds.

If not for free thinkers and free enterprise, we would still be paying a fortune for the most basic of modern devices we now take for granted.

Forums like this gender open source thinking.

I especially appreciate the guts for those to share their build as to how they did it!
That allows rapid propagation of the science and advancement of the product without restriction of greed, pride, and fear.

Way to go..... This forum wasn't always like that you know???

For those who have been around a while, will remember the wars that used to take place, the banning, slamming, and blackballing of all those who didn't join the money making engine of the cult and bow and worship the great idol.... Enough said about that....

Those who know.... know what I'm taking about.

Guys, just a reminder (and a sneaky little :bumpit:)... tonight is the last night of the poll, so get your votes in now or never!!

Good luck to all those entering. The final will be set up tomorrow as soon as I can be bothered. Just a reminder, just because you may not get through to the next round doesn't mean your host wasn't awsome. They're all worthy of recognition!

My vote went for Flaminpyro's Tritium Inlay host,

because of the machining and filling to accomplish the final result.

Although I only did a slight amount of machining,
I still like the style and continuous-duty heatsinking of my 445 build:
uv8.jpg

More details here:
Direct Drive 445 Host

LarryDFW

Last edited:

alf638

It's out of qumefox's Tank007 and flaminpyros tritium, they're just both so awsome, but i'm going to have to cast my vote for the tank007, theres just something about all that copper...:drool:

Last edited:
Humm... I guess the original question is confusing for me "
What is your torch-style Host of the Year for 2010?
"

This makes the question sound like its all about the torch "style" rather than the laser itself and it's performance abilities.

I've tended to view the question as a "total package".. meaning if I only had so much money to spend, which one would I purchase with all things considered?

I don't know if others have mis-voted or just me.

But by asking about the "style" only sets up a dream world which says "I like it small, shiney, cool looking, and stealthy, when in reality you could not get a ton of power into such a small host with present use of technology.

On the other hand, you can have a larger host which will support much more power as it provides space for larger batteries, and room for more drivers, heatsinks etc and so slams the competition is power and performance.

We all want both right?....

So every choice is a balance of all things considered that would push me to an actual purchase of the product "for me" rather than just the host itself..... sorry if I didn't vote correctly based on the question.

I personally admire, want to buy, and respect custom milling that shows precision, and modern beauty with stealth class, rather than a simple flashlight host I could find at walmart.

So whoever wins this....
It needs to be understood just exactly what they won, and what also should be considered what were in the minds of those who voted when they voted..... What were they voting for?

With that being said... whoever wins will not take away all the glory, because the question was too narrow to warrant finding out which product would be the one you would buy and take home to momma!..... or maybe should be stated "which one would you buy to take home to pappa?"

Last edited:
I had to vote for DTR,I have one of his polished Hot-Lights.
He has broken the hand-held threshhold,that when I started looking here thought would be around 800mw.Who knowes what the next few years will bring.
Joe

I too have one of his masterpieces and thats why I voted for the Frankenstein since mine is a kissin cousin.... but IMO mine has a much nicer host and better fits the definition of this poll to win.....
Weighing in at 1.9Watts, its a no brainer for me.

Of course, thats just my opinion and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....

Humm... I guess the original question is confusing for me ""

This makes the question sound like its all about the torch "style" rather than the laser itself and it's performance abilities.

I think you misunderstood.

There are two polls going on simultaneously as the semi-final. I needed an arbitrary way to divide them, so i stuck them into the categories of "Torch-style" and "Non torch-style".

So the question meant, from this selection of torch-style hosts, which would you say is most deserving of the title for "Host of the year for 2010"?

Alright, that's the end folks.

Final scores:
TTerbo's PHR Beast 4 3.64%
lazeerer Cree SacredFire 2 1.82%
qumefox's Tank007 13 11.82%
Jayrob SolarForce 14 12.73%
DTR 2W Frankenstien Ultrafire RL-2088 53 48.18%
AUTO XX's High power heatsink Combo kit 0 0%
Wannaburn's Copperhead handhelds 3 2.73%
Flaminpyro's SH-032 with Triple Tritium focussing ring 21 19.09%

Congratulations to all entrants, but DTR and Flaminpyro are through to the next round!!

Here's the link to the final:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/host-year-2010-final-poll-60121.html
Good luck, guys!