Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Host Design Contest: Poll/Update in OP

Which Host Design is more Deserving?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Host Design Contest

Those are both sweet designs they look very doable; I think the hardest part to duplicate is going to be the square/diamond shapes.
It looks like there are 4 facets to each one, IMO very hard to machine that pattern,
unless you have a type of knurling/embossing tool for the lathe.

I personally think those hosts would be perfect for the new 520nm 1W diodes! :)
I second wannaburnstuff's like of the side clicky, can't beat em.

Go for it! :D

Oh no no, that's just your old regular knurling design, I didn't get around to rotating the bump map 45° so I just kinda left it like this. I imagined it as regular knurling, but full diamond knurl, with point tips and all.

IsaacT

@Eudaimonium: I love knurling. Most of my personal host designs include it.

@Blackwolf: I like the looks of the second host you linked, although tritium markers are going to skyrocket the price I imagine.

@Eudaimonium: I love knurling. Most of my personal host designs include it.

@Blackwolf: I like the looks of the second host you linked, although tritium markers are going to skyrocket the price I imagine.
There are only 5 which go in the oval slots. The crest slots on the outside are just filled with epoxy+gitd.

Here is the Blackwolf host. I've rendered the front side and backside views along with a black version with a 3 diode Cu heatsink There are a few additional parts like the extended heatsink, focus adapter, and aperture cover, but I'll finish those tomorrow.
I also want to do a version with a bottom key lock and side button like a PL-e
pblM63hl.png

HPzeFWXl.png

aluBChHl.png

I did a quick sketch of my concept. It's to incorporate the following components. It will include displays so you can constantly monitor the batteries voltage and amp outputs, and the milling on the side of the host is for a thermal dust mix. I included a link for the thermal dust. There are several that change colors and different temperatures. It will change color as the host heats up. I am proficient in 3D cad so if your seriously interested in this idea I can help you develop it more.

http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Surface-Digital-Voltmeter-Detector/dp/B00C58QIOM/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1391126653&sr=1-2&keywords=mini+volt+display

0 56" Blue LED Digital DC Ammeter Amp Mini Current Panel Meter DC 0 50A | eBay

Products

73ud.jpg

IsaacT

Hey Duke I love your design! Only downside is that it looks very complex. How difficult would assembly be for the average user?

It will probably all depend on size, the larger the host is the more room there is to work with and essentially the easier it is to build.

here is the extended heatsink, focus adapter, and unique aperture cap
8LTcA59l.png

CLeblVwl.png

ru124t

Soz but I want a host that looks like Dr. Who's Sonic screwdriver complete with sound effects! If you guys can make a working phaser then this sould prove no problem!

Last edited:

IsaacT

I did a quick sketch of my concept. It's to incorporate the following components. It will include displays so you can constantly monitor the batteries voltage and amp outputs, and the milling on the side of the host is for a thermal dust mix. I included a link for the thermal dust. There are several that change colors and different temperatures. It will change color as the host heats up. I am proficient in 3D cad so if your seriously interested in this idea I can help you develop it more.

DROK Surface Mini 0.28" 12 DC Volt Meter 0~100V Green Digital Display Voltmeter Gauge LED Voltage Detector - Amazon.com

0 56" Blue LED Digital DC Ammeter Amp Mini Current Panel Meter DC 0 50A | eBay

Products

73ud.jpg

I am still waiting on more concepts. This is my favorite so far, but it isn't a feasible option cost wise.

Oh shoot! Forgot all about this thread :(
I should get to drawing my idea....
One thing I thought of is a kind of "pop-out" battery compartment, where you would push a little latch and one or two compartments would spring open, allowing you to slot your batterie(s) in. What is everyones thoughts on this?

IsaacT

Oh shoot! Forgot all about this thread :(
I should get to drawing my idea....
One thing I thought of is a kind of "pop-out" battery compartment, where you would push a little latch and one or two compartments would spring open, allowing you to slot your batterie(s) in. What is everyones thoughts on this?

Sounds like an interesting idea

Yea, I don't know how practical it would be to build, or how expensive.

ru124t

Ok so here are some pictures of what a doctor who sonic screwdriver host could look like. I know you guys could do it! I even have blueprints !

Attachments

• 10th-Doctors-Sonic-Screwdriver-Blueprint-Poster.jpg
    10th-Doctors-Sonic-Screwdriver-Blueprint-Poster.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 196
  • d2a2ff0499226c9ba4b2cda0986f1bc5.jpg
    d2a2ff0499226c9ba4b2cda0986f1bc5.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Dcp00324.jpg
    Dcp00324.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 146
  • sonicdrivers.jpg
    sonicdrivers.jpg