Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Hologram Laser Questions

bostjan

Hmm, looking at the schematics available online for driver circuits for the OPSL- maybe it's trivial for you guys, but it looks like a pretty time consuming project for me, and with my luck so far, I'm certain I'd just fry that $40 OPSL and then not be able to find another one, so I think I'm throwing in the towel on this hobby.

18LJ

Not sure if itll help but if ur going for cheap find a used laserdisc player thats in working condition the older models often have tiny hene tubes inside u can salvage?

bostjan

Not sure if itll help but if ur going for cheap find a used laserdisc player thats in working condition the older models often have tiny hene tubes inside u can salvage?
Haha, probably cheaper to buy a HeNe tube than to try to acquire a laserdisc player these days.

Way back, the best place to get HeNe lasers was American Science and Surplus. They had tons of old grocery scanners they sold as salvage. Usually the power on those was ultra-low, though. I regret not grabbing a few different ones, just to see what they had, but the one I did manage to obtain it actually lab grade - probably twice the power of the register tubes, yet still less than one milliwatt.

I got a few cool things from that warehouse, but it seems like times have changed and most of those items would be considered too dangerous nowadays.

bostjan

I still haven't seen any specifications on any lasers for sale on the coherence length, except for a 635 nm diode from LaserLands that was advertised as having a 0.3 nm peak width.

I guess it's not really something people advertise or probably even bother to measure, unless it's a specific and very expensive lab laser.

That said, $1100 for a complete HeNe system, brand new, seems like a reasonable price to me, but that's really not in my budget.

bostjan

I'm getting a little better luck with an Optnext 638 nm diode. The angle of incidence is definitely an important parameter to get a feel for, and, in my opinion (at least at this point), it's easier to get a good exposure with a higher power laser over a short time than a low power laser over a long time.

icecruncher

Oh ya i forgot abouth meredith. I dunno what your budget allows but if ur able to drop a few bills you can get a decent hene and powersupply from here
I bought a new green HeNe from them a few years ago, super price at the time and I still have one of their original brass mounts that are for 5.6 or 9 mm diodes, believe it or not :rolleyes:

Reputable source!