Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

High Powered Amazon Lasers?

As far as I know, "High powered" and "Cheap" do not go hand in hand, nor might you want them to.

I highly recommend Optotronics.com as a source for good quality lasers at reasonable prices.

2c, T.

Last edited:
As far as I know, "High powered" and "Cheap" do not go hand in hand, nor might you want them to.

I highly recommend Optotronics.com as a source for good quality lasers at reasonable prices.

2c, T.

I'll take my chances with amazon. That website you recommended is over priced. Even if it is only 5mW on amazon, it will still be the same price as the one on optronics, but with a better host. And I already know that all the lasers on Amazon are over spec, I just don't know by how much. There is a good chance that it will burn. Thanks anyway though!

Well, all I can say is I hope you don't actually get a 5mw - unless that's what you really want! Good luck, and keep us posted.

T.

Last edited:
Well, all I can say is I hope you don't actually get a 5mw - unless that's what you really want! Good luck, and keep us posted.

T.

I'm going to get this one:
Amazon.com: MillionAccessories Adjustable Focus 5mW Green Laser Pointer Pen With Safety Key + Battery + Charger: Electronics

This one has the most good reviews, and there is a decent amount that say it actually can burn stuff. Plus it comes with a battery and charger. I'll be posting a review for it as soon as I get it. It has Prime, so it will be coming Wednesday.

yeah that looks exactly like the DX one i got that came in @ around 146mw. But i got lucky and probably 30-40mw is IR. For 31 bucks i'd say go for it.

I'm sure it'll be overspec, probably in the 30-40mW range or so. Might be a bit of IR too.

I'm sure it'll be overspec, probably in the 30-40mW range or so. Might be a bit of IR too.

Some people in the reviews say that it burns tape and pops balloons, and some say it even burns matches. I'm hoping I'm one of the lucky ones that gets a 100mW+. I will still be satisfied if its 30mW to 40mW though! I placed the order and it comes Wednesday, so I should have a review up Thursday or Friday.

yer man dont buy a laser of amazon. thats like going to a supermarket to buy a computer. you need to go to a computer store if you want to buy a computer ;)

DJNY

Why not buying an Amazon laser?

I do like to buy the pig in a poke often when it comes to lasers.

Most of the time I was happy with these purchases. It´s always interesting to check out the real output from a product you don´t really now what to expect. Sometimes you get really positive surprises.

yer man dont buy a laser of amazon. thats like going to a supermarket to buy a computer. you need to go to a computer store if you want to buy a computer ;)

Nah, its more like the black market in the back of the super market. They aren't supposed to be selling high powered lasers haha

Some people in the reviews say that it burns tape and pops balloons, and some say it even burns matches. I'm hoping I'm one of the lucky ones that gets a 100mW+. I will still be satisfied if its 30mW to 40mW though! I placed the order and it comes Wednesday, so I should have a review up Thursday or Friday.

Well even weak lasers can burn stuff if you focus them. I was able to burn blackened office paper with my 80mW CNI, but that didn't have any kind of focuser. So I'm guessing that if you can focus to a small dot with something even half that power it'll still burn. Plus you probably get some of the IR helping with that.

Regardless, I think they'll be overspec, and you'll be able to burn stuff and have a nice laser.

I'd buy everything from Amazon if I could, especially since I have that Amazon Prime membership. Hell, these days I go to Amazon first before a company like Newegg because I trust Amazon more, the prices are often better, I often get free shipping, and they have a better distribution network.

Anyway, it's not like the lasers elsewhere are any different. As far as I'm concerned, they're all selling the same Chinese made lasers. The only thing that makes a company like Lazerer any different is that they actually meter the lasers; otherwise, they're really no different.

Last edited:
I can see a 5mW laser overspec by a few mW, but people who buy these lasers really MUST bear in mind the hazard of owning/using/possibly letting others borrow/kids play with, a laser marked for 5mW that is actually outputting 50 or 100. Just sayin'...

T.

Last edited:
I can see a 5mW laser overspec by a few mW, but people who buy these lasers really MUST bear in mind the hazard of owning/using/possibly letting others borrow/kids play with, a laser marked for 5mW that is actually outputting 50 or 100. Just sayin'...

T.

I would say that most people that buy lasers on amazon don't know much about mW. In the name/description it says "burning laser", "military", and "high powered", so as long as people can read, they should be able to figure out that its a dangerous thing if used incorrectly.

Well even weak lasers can burn stuff if you focus them. I was able to burn blackened office paper with my 80mW CNI, but that didn't have any kind of focuser. So I'm guessing that if you can focus to a small dot with something even half that power it'll still burn. Plus you probably get some of the IR helping with that.

Regardless, I think they'll be overspec, and you'll be able to burn stuff and have a nice laser.

I'd buy everything from Amazon if I could, especially since I have that Amazon Prime membership. Hell, these days I go to Amazon first before a company like Newegg because I trust Amazon more, the prices are often better, I often get free shipping, and they have a better distribution network.

Anyway, it's not like the lasers elsewhere are any different. As far as I'm concerned, they're all selling the same Chinese made lasers. The only thing that makes a company like Lazerer any different is that they actually meter the lasers; otherwise, they're really no different.
I just got the laser today. With focus, it can light green colored matches instantly, burn electric tape, melt dark plastic, and burn dark clothing. Without focus, it cannot light matches, but it makes electric tape smoke, and will burn skin.

I'm not sure which we go by in terms of burning if it's focused or not.

Well focusing down really isn't any worse than having to use black tape, colored matches, or thin-walled balloons to see any burning. They're all kind of "lame" in terms of burning after you've done it a few times.