Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

High power needed - why?

Pman

Yeah, agree with what LS just said. I've stated over and over that my high powered units just sit in a case and aren't used. They are just showpieces. A few focus-able pens are what I mess with. The rest are from what I put together for a different reason.
405nm for fluorescence, 650nm for power over 100mW for sheer output such as lighting a match (405nm is great for that although when you buy a 3 color pack of pens the 650nm is almost always over 100mW while the 405nm tends to be 60-90mW or at least they are from my sources) and the 532nm for sheer brilliance with a nice beam that you just can't get with the other 2 without gobs of power in comparison and lots more $.
Truth be told hardly any of us "need" a laser for real world use in our homes. I can't think of a single reason why I personally need one even though I have plenty lol. I could have found something else to fill my time with but this is what interests me.

Last edited:

USAbro

I've actually found a use for power.
My family has lots of things like combs and
things that get mixed up, and there are
always arguments about who's is who's
and it get's irritating people taking your stuff
so I etched my initials in all my things like
my wallet, combs, etc.

I became interested in lasers when I was 8 in 1970 and read about them and back then there was no way in a lifetime, a HeNe was many thousands of dollars, so I imagined one day I would learn how and build one myself. My first laser was one of those red ones that runs on 3 button cells, I think it was $5 and I think I got it at Walmart, I still have it and it still works. My second laser was when things changed. I think about 3 years ago I began making my own colloidal/ionic silver solution, what that is and why I won't go into here but it is very expensive to buy so many people make it themselves. There are several ways to test your silver solution and it is common to use a 635nm laser as a visual indicator of the particulate silver content in the solution. When I purchased my colloidal silver generator it came with a laser that was guaranteed to be between 4.9-5mW. When you start with distilled water the beam is not visible but slowly becomes visible as the silver parts per million increase, the silver ions don't reflect light but the particles do.

This was the first time I saw a laser beam and I had never imagined that I would ever have had a real use for a laser, this got me interested in lasers again and I soon found LPF, I probably shouldn't be repeating this as I told this story before, here is a link to my welcome thread long ago:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f37/hello-snohomish-county-washington-82462.html
Just saying there is sometimes a use for our lasers. With my first build, a 1.5W M140 in a C6 I wanted to be able to kill a spyder from a few feet away. It is a powerful and dangerous laser but didn't live up to my expectations, however I find it's a good visual indicator of how clean your air is. My second 445nm however exceeded my expectations. However if I lived in Texas I think I would need far more power, everything's bigger there, especially spiders and bugs.

As for power I find it fun to have powerful lasers but I mostly turn one or two on about once a day very briefly just to see the beam, I live in a small space and have to be careful, I live in a trailer so I must be sure to point them at a safe target or not leave the dot in one place for a few seconds. My last build, the 450nm can instantly ignite paper, not just burn through it but instantly set it in flames. The only ones I can safely wave around inside are my 3 low power reds and my 520nm green so I have been thinking about building a couple of lower power ones.

I know a few people here have saltwater aquariums and use a powerful blue laser to kill pests in the aquarium. I remember there was one guy that wanted to kill snails that infested his garden and another guy wanted to be able to kill roaches, I wonder how those turned out.

Alan

Found my own reason :yabbem:

The mid-range powered lasers seem harder to source and appear so poor value compared to the high powered ones :-(

For example if I was looking for a 250mW 445nm:
* lowest power offered (by standard) by Blord is 1W for $80
* lowest power offered (by standard) by Sci-Fi lasers is 1W for $85
* lowest power offered (by standard) by jet lasers is a 500mW for $149
* laserbtb has a 500mW (or 80mW, nothing inbetween) for $82

It's a shame most lasers don't offer the ability to run them at lower levels like flash lights.

I'm sure it is possible to resistor mod most drivers to provide less current, if you can figure out the circuit from the PCB?

[I've always worked for big American companies - and many of my team are Americans. So I'm am aware of some of our differences ;-) ]

I should also correct myself - my boss would say "I'm not American, I'm a Texan!"

Yes we also have our differences here within the US too, we are 50 states and 4 territories and 1 federal district. We are liberal Americans, conservative Americans, white Americans, black Americans, rich Americans, poor Americans, educated, uneducated, etc. but I fear we will never again be the United states of America, indivisible with liberty and justice for all.

I currently have a need (want?) to burn part
numbers off of ICs.

Just wondering have you done this yet? Does that work ok or does it ruin some ICs?

Found my own reason :yabbem:

The mid-range powered lasers seem harder to source and appear so poor value compared to the high powered ones :-(

For example if I was looking for a 250mW 445nm:
* lowest power offered (by standard) by Blord is 1W for $80
* lowest power offered (by standard) by Sci-Fi lasers is 1W for $85
* lowest power offered (by standard) by jet lasers is a 500mW for $149
* laserbtb has a 500mW (or 80mW, nothing inbetween) for $82

It's a shame most lasers don't offer the ability to run them at lower levels like flash lights.

There are low power 450nm, you can barely see any difference with a 445nm, I don't know who sells them but DTR sells the PL450B if you want to build your own.

I too have been wanting a laser with adjustable power.

Alan

405nm is great for that although when you buy a 3 color pack of pens the 650nm is almost always over 100mW while the 405nm tends to be 60-90mW or at least they are from my sources

Hi Pman - any chance you would share your source :) I'm still having fun with cheap pens so would like to know your source as it may increase my odds of getting something interesting (all my 405 pens have been < 40mW).

I'm sure it is possible to resistor mod most drivers to provide less current, if you can figure out the circuit from the PCB?

Seems not, see this thread: "http://laserpointerforums.com/f67/variable-laser-power-72617.html#post1045901"

Last edited:
Hmm. Several people on that thread suggest putting a limiting resistor in series with the laser diode, which is a poor way of regulating current with a constant currant source (relies on it maxing out on voltage).

It would be better to adjust the LM117/317 current feedback resistor, though typically this is a low value not suitable for replacing with a pot - however you could switch other low values in its place to achieve the desired effect.

I'm one of the few here where lasers are part of my business and I use them for my nightclubs, glo-bowl, etc.

I'm also a hobbiest and a couple of 2w pointers, but for the most part I use them in front of crowds. In this respect more power is better....to a point.

I used to have 200mw reds sprinkled with a few 30-60mw greenies. Then it was a big deal to have half watt 445s. As I gradually upgraded all my projectors I would have to upgrade others just to keep up. The brighter the lasers the bigger the crowds and more $$$$.

I think I'm getting close to diminishing returns with the latest 462s and 520's in the 1-2watt range. They're as bright as I need them to be without risking eye hazards and thermal is still manageable with passive sinks. Unlike 445s I'm not wasting a lot of power on a wavelength the eye isn't very sensitive to anyways. Once reds are available in the 1.5-2watt range I'll be pretty happy.

Just wondering have you done this yet? Does that work ok or does it ruin some ICs?

No, I haven't been able to due to the lack
of the right kind of laser and galvos.
This is exactly the way they mark chips at
the factory, so it won't ruin them as long
as it it set up right and there is enough
encapsulation covering the die to safely
burn a little off.

It is. I have done it. The trick is
knowing which one(s) is (are) the right
resistor(s).

gozert

I want high power for DPSS lasers that have a thin beam and clear dot. This is why I chose to buy a LG Hercules 650. I also have a 2.2W 445nm and don't like it too much mainly because of the ugly beam shape. Also, the more power, the more you can impress people. (Especially people who don't own lasers, or have ebay ones)

Last edited:
Beam brightness and killing bugs/burning stuff. But mostly brightness!