Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi

jgrimm

Hi everyone...

Ran across your forum whist researching DPSS lasers and how they operate. (way out of my budget. I tend to stick to inexpensive handhelds)

I am assembling a 405nm (803T) handheld as my first project. When my driver arrives (non-pulsed), I will tune it to a tick under 110mA which will hopefully give me around 100mW of output and a reasonable diode life. (if I'm wrong please correct me)

Also pondering the notion of building a 405nm, 300mw'ish handheld. What might you all think of this diode? 405nm 300mW blu-ray laser diode /6x blu-ray diode sled - eBay (item 170472935861 end time May-14-10 03:53:30 PDT) Ill pair it to a non-pulsed driver set at around 320mA. Afraid it may die quickly? Eh, I'm not sure, any suggestions highly appreciated.

I don't know much about lasers, but I love the search button and Google; that's how Ive managed to plan my first build, lol.

Anyhow, cool forum and its nice to be a part of it. :D

welcome enjoy your time at lpf:beer:
Anybody can correct me but I don't think a 6x will be able to get to 300mw w/o dying quickly.
Most run it at around 200ma and will be around 200mw.
Hope this helps,
Toogoofy

EDIT: 100th post!:wave:

Last edited:
try to stick to places like hightechdealz or modwerx I thin khightech dealz has 6xs
I say this because kendall(hightech) and drew(modwerx) are really cool and will help you, most of all don't over spec there stuff:angel:

Last edited:

HIMNL9

Welcome to the forum.

No, as far as i know, 6X diodes can give you like 170/180mW (SF-AW laser diode) or like 200/210mW (if is a GGW diode), and the one in the auction is an SF-AW diode ..... you can use it with a good heatsinking mount around 200mA max, better 170/180 for a more long and safe use, but pushing it to 320mA, you risk to pop it in few hours.

daguin

Their graph was stolen from me. They do not understand it and are misusing it.

Do you see that "wiggle" in the line ~180mA? That is called a "kink."

sfaw210-1.jpg

In order for a diode to live, you must keep the current below that kink.

In the case of the SF-AW210, you must keep the current below ~180mA (+- a little for individual diodes)

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

jgrimm

Hey thanks you guys! I really appreciate the info :D

I thought Id better ask someone knowledgeable when it comes to lasers about the ebay stuff before I buy (after hearing some negative reviews)

Glad I did ask, as I just picked up a nice bit of knowledge. (keeping the mA under the kink)

I still may build one to run at 200mA (Ill machine a housing with some major cooling fins) with that diode (my bro wants a laser anyhow)

Anyways, thanks for the help guys :thanks: My laser is really nothing special, and yall probably have some crazyyy lasers of your own that are a crap ton better than the one Im building, but Ill get a thread put up about my build with pics whenever my driver gets here.

-Jt

daguin

I thought Id better ask someone knowledgeable when it comes to lasers about the ebay stuff before I buy (after hearing some negative reviews)
Glad I did ask, as I just picked up a nice bit of knowledge. (keeping the mA under the kink)
I still may build one to run at 200mA (Ill machine a housing with some major cooling fins) with that diode (my bro wants a laser anyhow)
Anyways, thanks for the help guys :thanks: My laser is really nothing special, and yall probably have some crazyyy lasers of your own that are a crap ton better than the one Im building, but Ill get a thread put up about my build with pics whenever my driver gets here.
-Jt

Cooling/heat sinking has nothing to do with it. It has to do with how much "pressure" the die/crystal can handle. If you think that 200mA is some sort of "magic" number use a GGW-H20L instead of an SF-AW210.

It is better to give up a dozen milliwatts than to have your diode fail and have to rebuild it ;) When that happens, you not only have NOT saved any money, you have to rebuild it AND you have to suffer the frustration of the FAIL

Peace,
dave

-Jt

Hey man remember: every biuld is special:beer:

LPF members are addicted to laser videos especially ones that have creative experiments (hint hint:whistle:).

Good Luck!,
Toogoofy

I have an SF running at 177mA with a V5 flex. Using a jayrob 405nm G-1 lens I am getting around 233mW out of it:D Not too bad for a $30 diode!!! But if you want power than 8X is your best bet, but they are kinda pricey and if you ruin it....