Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi, im new

Rifter

So this all started a few weeks ago when i saw a youtube video of a powerful blue and a powerful green laser. I had looked into lasers years ago(15 or so) but they were no where near this powerful. I wanted one like the ones i saw in the video.

I was into flashlights years ago mainly long throw spotlight types so i guess lasers is a natural progression from there. I seem to have a thing for projecting light at long ranges i guess.

Anyways i started doing research and it appears lasers of any meaningful power are actually very dangerous, which seems very odd, i mean with flashlights even a 50w spotlight blast to the face will just blind ya temporarily but it seems even a 50mw or greater laser can do serious damage. I must admit my feeling for lasers changed at this point when i realized this but im not one to give up ill just take this slowly. I honestly had no idea how careful you need to be.

So any tips for new to laser people?

Also do you people have a support group? i think ive spent $700 on lasers and safety equipment in the last week, and im eagerly awaiting its arrival, this is just like my flashlight addiction 10 years ago..... :)

Also do you people have a support group? i think ive spent $700 on lasers and safety equipment in the last week, and im eagerly awaiting its arrival, this is just like my flashlight addiction 10 years ago..... :)

Hello Rifter,

Do lots of reading.

No official support group yet but we need one soon. That $700 is only the beginning.

Welcome to LPF, a wondrous land of adventure whose boundaries are that of imagination.

Alan

ScottW

Welcome to LPF, Rifter!

Check out my signature for some really useful threads that will help you get started. There is a TON of information here, as well as a bunch of knowledgable and helpful folks.

When that support group forms it will have a LOT of members!

Welcome to the forums! You can't be just carefull, you must use safety goggles. Take a look to my signature for (I think) the most important thread. Cheers!:beer:

-Matt,

Start here:

Sam's Laser FAQ: Welcome Page

More information than you can assimilate on almost every laser type.

LPF is probably the best choice of forums for new guys, but there is also one focused more on Projectors and Holography if you are interested you might check out that several members are part of.

Besides diodes, gas lasers also have a unique appeal if you get a chance to check out the section in here on them.

No problems asking stupid questions - we all do, JUST TRY THE SEARCH OPTION FIRST. ------- then if you can't find it, ask the stupid question…..

:)

Last edited: