Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HI im new can you please help?

Hi im new to the laser technology and how they all work. I recently brought a 300mw green laser to play around with to pop and burn things but since realised how dangerous they can be to the eyes. Here is the laser I purchased

eBay.com.sg: 300mW Professional SKY Green Laser Pointer Pen 2009 ! (item 370243605924 end time Oct 10, 2009 06:58:56 SGT)

Ive been recommended to buy arg filter glasses but they are £97 in the UK I was just wondering is this a good price and is there anything else I should be aware of that is a danger?

Thanks guys
carl

Are 300mW just too dangerous how do I know if it has IR filter does this matter?

Hi im new to the laser technology and how they all work. I recently brought a 300mw green laser to play around with to pop and burn things but since realised how dangerous they can be to the eyes. Here is the laser I purchased

eBay.com.sg: 300mW Professional SKY Green Laser Pointer Pen 2009 ! (item 370243605924 end time Oct 10, 2009 06:58:56 SGT)

Ive been recommended to buy arg filter glasses but they are £97 in the UK I was just wondering is this a good price and is there anything else I should be aware of that is a danger?

Thanks guys
carl

WOW. You started the laser hobby with a 300 mW green :O Welcome to the forum

So do IR filters matter is it more dangerous without one? Will ARG glasses stop my eyes from getting damaged? I want to play safe I just dont know how lol

So do IR filters matter is it more dangerous without one? Will ARG glasses stop my eyes from getting damaged? I want to play safe I just dont know how lol

Personally I don't use IR filters, since the most dangerous is the colour wavelength itself. Since you have proffesional goggles like Grix suggested, you will be ok.

Last edited:

Grix

Why don't you buy the cheaper goggles I suggested? £107 is a ripoff even with 10% discount.

is that what everyone else uses? How long do they take to get to UK the better ones u suggested?

LOL goggles for 107 pounds zomfg. don't spend so much money on goggles. Buy cheaper ones, seriously. They will do the job..

HIMNL9

Sorry, just a little offtopic .....

Item location: preston, Lancashire, Singapore

..... Never known that Lancashire was in Singapore ..... (j/k :D)

Back in topic, was interesting if you can measure the true power of that laser ..... as always, the warning labels says "less than 300mW", without state the effective power.

Sorry, just a little offtopic .....

..... Never known that Lancashire was in Singapore ..... (j/k :D)

Back in topic, was interesting if you can measure the true power of that laser ..... as always, the warning labels says "less than 300mW", without state the effective power.

I was wondering the same! Does it really peak 300 mW for that price? ( 150USD )

Well ive been told it burns matches burns plastic and pops balloons thats all the matters to me :D

Ways

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Personally i would buy certified goggles/glasses for the reason that the certification means the goggles have been tested and proven effective for their intended use and that gives me peace of mind, whether that peace of mind and guaranteed protection is worth the MUCH higher cost is a matter of personal opinion of course.

Thats not to say the uncertified goggles wont provide protection (some have been tested by members on here i wont comment on the results but a search for safety glasses / goggles should point you in the right direction) but if i could afford to pay extra for certified ones i would especially when they are intended to protect my irreplaceable eyes from higher powered lasers!

The following pretty much summed it up for me...
Have you looked at the price of eyes lately?

My insurance company values them at $1,000,000 each, and I have lousy coverage. Bionic eye implants will only give you a grainy blurry black and white image where you can only make out shadows, and they cost hundreds of millions of dollars. I think if $50 now can save you hundreds of millions of dollars down the road, it's not worth cheaping out and not spending the extra $40 for actual certified laser goggles which are guaranteed to do what they claim, and actually protect your eyes from damage. $50 to save yourself a lifetime of blackness, never being able to work again, having difficulty doing simple tasks like walking around outside, is totally worth it if you ask me. If you're willing to risk permanently crippling yourself to save $40 then by all means, go for it.