Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi guys

Sn4k3

Hi guys, greetings from portugal.

I want to build a laser for bird control, I don't know a while lot about lasers, mostly the safety considerations

But I do know that a very important part of the setup im looking for is the collimator, the spot must stay as small as possible at far distances, im thinking 700 meters.

But, i don't have a clue what collimator to use, where to buy it if possible, or how to build one, i know that the magic is in the lens that collimates the beam itself, but no more than that. Anyway, i hope you can help me with that.

Last edited:

Snecho

Welcome.

However I must say, we get dozens of posts asking for bird control. As far as I know, none of them have ever followed through and have always been told by members here it's a bad idea for a variety of reasons. For example you just said you wanted as small a dot as possible as far away as 700 meters. That's almost a mile away. I don't know why you would be concerned about birds so far away that you can't even see them, but keeping a colimated dot that far away with a traditional diode laser is almost impossible. Furthermore, the idea is to have an unfocused wide dot, not the smallest dot possible, otherwise you will permanently blind the wildlife...

Use the forum search for the term "bird control" or "geese" and you will see what I'm talking about.

Seriously though, you'll have more luck planting a scarecrow or throwing firecrackers out your window than whatever extremely vague yet specific specifications you're looking for.

Last edited:

Sn4k3

Welcome.

However I must say, we get dozens of posts asking for bird control. As far as I know, none of them have ever followed through and have always been told by members here it's a bad idea for a variety of reasons. For example you just said you wanted as small a dot as possible as far away as 700 meters. That's almost a mile away. I don't know why you would be concerned about birds so far away that you can't even see them, but keeping a colimated dot that far away with a traditional diode laser is almost impossible. Furthermore, the idea is to have an unfocused wide dot, not the smallest dot possible, otherwise you will permanently blind the wildlife...

Use the forum search for the term "bird control" or "geese" and you will see what I'm talking about.

Seriously though, you'll have more luck planting a scarecrow or throwing firecrackers out your window than whatever extremely vague yet specific specifications you're looking for.
I understand, i work in bird control, we tried low powered lasers and have worked but only in very short distances which in our case is basically useless.

Bird control is a constant battle and we need to have several tools for many different situations, we want laser to be one of those tools.

What i need is a green fairly powerful laser, highly collimated, with a decent battery life.

Do you think i can build it?

Snecho

I understand, i work in bird control, we tried low powered lasers and have worked but only in very short distances which in our case is basically useless.

Bird control is a constant battle and we need to have several tools for many different situations, we want laser to be one of those tools.

What i need is a green fairly powerful laser, highly collimated, with a decent battery life.

You said yourself you work in bird control so I've already given my opinion and the general consensus on the subject. So I really don't know what else to say except that you should then already know more than any of us about bird control lol.

All things considered, probably not.

Encap

Here are JetLasers bird control lasers, if you have not seem them before, to give you some idea: https://www.jetlasers.org/index.php?id_category=42&controller=category

You can google whatever is available --there are dozens of listings of laser birds control products.

" Do you think i can build it?" In imagination/ daydream world, perhaps In the real world no, very unlikely way to many problems with what you want to do.

If you are in USA, unless you want to be an "outlaw/illegal", out of control, bird control person using dangerous laser device you would have to comply with all the FDA laws, rules, and regulations, and requirements as well for safety, legal, and liability reasons .
See: https://www.fda.gov/media/74026/download

Last edited:

Sn4k3

You said yourself you work in bird control so I've already given my opinion and the general consensus on the subject. So I really don't know what else to say except that you should then already know more than any of us about bird control lol.

All things considered, probably not.
Well, one never know everything about everything.

about bird control?, maybe, if you don't do bird control too, probably i will know more than you about that, but lasers?, Nah, is 100% certain that you all know more than me, anyway ,thanks for... The help? I guess

I'm not asking anything that hasn't been done, i just don't know how to do it, that is the reason why I'm here asking.

Sn4k3

Good info, thanks for posting, I'm looking for a hand held that does not break the bank.

Im not in usa, lasers work with birds without killing or hurting them.

I just more reach in a handheld device

Encap

Good info, thanks for posting, I'm looking for a hand held that does not break the bank.

Im not in usa, lasers work with birds without killing or hurting them.

I just more reach in a handheld device
Hope you realize hand hed high power lasers have a short duty cycle, not long run time--example 2 min on and 2min off or less
See Jetlasers hand held 532nm lasers here: https://www.jetlasers.org/index.php...dapter-no/49-goggles-no/33-power_levels-800mw
They are pretty much as good as it gets--high quality procucts.

Last edited:

Encap

Good info, thanks
You better check the laser Laws wherever you are---in USA and Canada 5mW is maximum laser output you can legally import or sell. In EU is generally 1mW

You should see the laser Hazard Chart here: https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/FAA---visible-laser-hazard-calcs-for-LSF-v02.png
and see excellent laser satety web site, has laws in al Countries, and other good info _ safety details here: https://www.laserpointersafety.com/

The bird control thing is a good story however if high powered laser pointer were safe for bird eyesight, safe + legal to generally use that way/an effective solution it would be widely known and published about + devices for same widely known and available and they are not so....
If you imagine you scaring a bird 700 meters away with a hand held laser you are probably just "whistling Dixie/daydreaming.
You will not be able to see the beam of an 800mW to 1000mW 532nm laser in daylight regardless so.... you need to point a small dot on a birds eye from 700meters with a handhled laser---good luck lol

In any case don't be an accident looking for a place to happen with a hand held laser--eye protection-laser glasses/goggles are required.

See more about lasers and birds here: https://www.laserpointersafety.com/news/news/other-news_files/tag-birds.php#on

Last edited:
Everything I read talks about a wide beam that will scare birds away without hurting their eyes, still I am sure you could get into all kinds of serious trouble if your bird spooking laser ever distracted a motorist or God forbid an aircraft pilot so where and how you could employ such a device I expect is regulated by law and hopefully common sense, for instance your backstop can't encompass an interstate highway or peoples homes, so make certain you know what you are doing before you do it when setting up an autonomous laser device or even when using a hand held, I expect such a device would not be used in an urban area without strict safety controls, it's likely more of an agricultural/industrial area device and for 1000 foot range I expect your beam would start wide and stay wide never having a beam waist that could be harmful to humans or animals and you would want your device mounted up high so you can cover your property while keeping your beam on only your property, never would you allow your beam to shine into the sky autonomously.

Last edited:

Sn4k3

Thanks buddy, again good info.

in UK several airports use laser technology to control birds, sometimes from.more than 700 meters

well said ALL..
just a wild guess--- if you are making runways safe down there-?
- thats good-
We are all fine if so...

they are used somewhat at USA airports with Bird problems (limited success) AFAIK--and unlikely used (legally) in USA for other applications like crop protection. BUT it is highly regulated here.

BUT are mounted lasers --not handheld- good ones cost >$4,500 usd-- small price to save human lives,,IMO
-

I would be very surprized if any laser we have would work so very far away..

JETLASERS (.org) can build you 7W 450nm Blue laser. Cheaper than any green laser >1W.
good luck---Len (Houston)

PS- FYI I posted just after Red.. so did not read his atm..BUT WELL SAID RED!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

update -At list price the 520nm Green 1W and the 445nm \Blue 5Wn are the same JL price....($hipped w/ Beam Expander $hipped is ~$400 usd-- express shipping-
The green (at 700m)1W may be easier to see than the 5W..Blue.or they may be the same.
Not sure -- you cannot go by the mW.. green is brightest wavelength at any powers.

Last edited:

Encap

Thanks buddy, again good info.

in UK several airports use laser technology to control birds, sometimes from.more than 700 meters
Would guess not guys standing around holding hand held lasers whose beam can't bee even seen by humans in daylight and not small fine beams .

Maybe something here would do if you are in UK https://www.birdcontrol.uk.com/shop/category/bird-scarers/laser-bird-scarers/

Goggle what is available and how same is employed rather than to attempt to buid your own based on no knowledge of how to do or actual real world use--is an easy way---if after using whatever is and you want o try and make a better mousetrap, give it a try.

Last edited:
If a person wanted to scare birds away from a remote private runway by hand before takeoff they could use a hand held, even a 1w green with a beam expander might do the trick, but I am talking about a remote landing/takeoff area such as bush pilots encounter in the middle of nowhere......NEVER shine a laser near an airport unless it's your official job to do so!

The academic answer is you want a wide long focal length lens or the addition of a beam expander, not a narrow beam.

Last edited: