Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi from australia

pow3r

Hi All, i'm new to lasers, i've put together a 3 axis cnc, but figured that the option to swap out the milling head for a the cutting laser instead of would be a cool feature.

not really looking to cut anything industrial, probably just paper/cardstock (preferably all colours) and maybe etch some other materials.

here's a couple of shots of the CNC as it stands currently (well almost, i've pulled apart the y and z axis to get a bit more travel, and haven't finished repairing the mess i made :whistle:)

Hag61EB.jpg

603848_10151581834146072_199636025_n.jpg

Things

That's a cool little compact CNC machine!

If you just want to cut thin stuff like paper/card, I'd look at using a 445nm laser. You can get them doing up to about 2W, they don't require any high voltage or water cooling, and you can very easily mount it on the Z axis.

Gun

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie--Oi, Oi, Oi.

Welcome to LPF mate :)

pow3r

That's a cool little compact CNC machine!

If you just want to cut thin stuff like paper/card, I'd look at using a 445nm laser. You can get them doing up to about 2W, they don't require any high voltage or water cooling, and you can very easily mount it on the Z axis.

cheers, it's based on a kickstarter, but i've made a couple of mods, and have some more in mind.

just remembered i have this photo btw.
922755_10151586441856072_414593727_n.jpg

one of the 20W co2 lasers we use at work to do text etching. wonder if they'd let me borrow it, might be hard to mount on the mill :p

Things

Haha, those aren't really suited for cutting though, they're designed for high speed engraving :)

Nice CNC build.... I need to extend my sidearms like
yours so I can cut some larger (higher) material.

welcome.gif
to the Forum pow3r....

Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..
http://laserpointerforums.com/tou.htm

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and PLEASE don't forget to read to this....

39 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

Get Some Safety Goggles Now!

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:

Things

I've built a few laser cutters myself, just as a project. Usually ended up building one, realising it was crap, then starting over again. Did that about 3 times, then decided to do it properly. I then decided to go to university, and in about 12 months will probably have to move into a unit, so the one I built ended up being waayyyy too big, and had to sell it :(

Ended up buying a small unit from eBay, and it's been great so far. Not one of those crappy little $600 ones, I paid about $2500 for this, delivered inside Aus. Has all the features like DSP control, air assist, manual Z table etc, and a decent work area of 500x400 IIRC.