Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi. Another 'Another Australian here' intro.

Hello everyone.

My name is Dave.

So I was finishing building a friend's house for him and as a token of my thankfulness for all the work I wasn't going to charge for the final 3 hours on the last night.

That is...until about 10 minutes after he demonstrated his green laser pen to me, the one that he brought home on a flight from OS. The wicked one that I have never ever seen like in my life. I had to have that sucker.

An idea hatched in my head :san:

He asks what the bill was for the night, I suggest a deal possibly. I say forget cash mate...gimme the laser? :drool:

Well, I have a green laser pen now.

Took it home, shot a very bright and strong beam onto a tower miles away and suddenly I really get this laser envy :yh:

It came with some end cap lenses that make cool dot patterns where each beam is more intense than any single beam I have seen before. Which is no big deal to many in here most likely.

Then I tried it with no end cap and to my amazement the reflection off a white plastic drain pipe was bright enough to hurt.

That's when I thought to put it away and do some research just in case.

So here I am. About to spend countless hours trying to work out what I have, if it's legal here, how strong it is, etc etc.

Cheers

Dave

Hey straylia :)

Your green laser pen could be anywhere from 20-100mw in power so don't underestimate it.
A reflection or direct hit could cause irreparable eye damage so be safe.

Any handheld battery powered laser above 1mw is considered illegal in Australia so don't go around drawing attention to it.

That being said, as long as you use common sense you will be fine.

Take your time and browse around the forums. There is a wealth of information here :beer:

welcome to LPF get safety glasses ASAP do not by cheap S@#t from ebay spend thirty or so on a good pair

Welcome to the forums! :)

-Alex

Thanks Greenlander.

From what I have seen so far in here it is a good forum with lots of sensible and informative posts.

Hey straylia :)

Your green laser pen could be anywhere from 20-100mw in power so don't underestimate it.
A reflection or direct hit could cause irreparable eye damage so be safe.

Any handheld battery powered laser above 1mw is considered illegal in Australia so don't go around drawing attention to it.

That being said, as long as you use common sense you will be fine.

Take your time and browse around the forums. There is a wealth of information here :beer:

I have spent some time looking for threads, and Googling for info on my green pen laser but so far keep getting distracted with other cool laser stuff, so still looking.

This laser is only 170mm long with a diameter of 14mm. Uses 2 AAA batteries.

The label reads;

Max output power <18000mW
Wavelength 532nm +_ 10
Class II laser
Complies with 21 CFR

(What's the go with the <18000mW? :wtf: )

welcome to LPF get safety glasses ASAP do not by cheap S@#t from ebay spend thirty or so on a good pair

Thanks vortish. I appreciate the advice for sure.

I still have to look up a thread on what goggles to get. Worked all day today.

For now, will a pair of constructuion laser level red lens safety glasses be safe?

Fiddy

Welcome!

What is your trade of choice? chippy leco plumber?

You will learn lots here son,

Fiddy.

Thanks Greenlander.

From what I have seen so far in here it is a good forum with lots of sensible and informative posts.

I have spent some time looking for threads, and Googling for info on my green pen laser but so far keep getting distracted with other cool laser stuff, so still looking.

This laser is only 170mm long with a diameter of 14mm. Uses 2 AAA batteries.

The label reads;

Max output power <18000mW
Wavelength 532nm +_ 10
Class II laser
Complies with 21 CFR

(What's the go with the <18000mW? :wtf: )

Thanks vortish. I appreciate the advice for sure.

I still have to look up a thread on what goggles to get. Worked all day today.

For now, will a pair of constructuion laser level red lens safety glasses be safe?

No red laser level glasses are good for 620nm to 710 nm each color on the wavelength cart needs it own glasses such at 210-475nm will need a pair any thing over 475 nm to 590 will need another pair and 590nm -720nm will need a pair and if you go in to the ir spectrum you will need another pair.. you will spend around 120$ us to get three decent pairs of laser safety glasses but since you just have the 532 nm start there... look at the stickys they will tell you what is a good pair.. You can buy the ebay cheapos but your taking your eyes safety in jeopardy. You can get a set that covers all those wavelength but they are 300+ dollars and hard to find... right now I have two pairs one for red laser wavelengths and one for green wavelengths.. Just a matter on what nm you like and want and then get the glasses that correspond with that wavelength.. Start slow no need to buy all the stuff at once.. I been a member since january and I spent maybe 300 dollars and most of that is good safety glasses, psu, dummy load, mis parts, and three ebay pens and one 301 that comes out at 30+mw if you want to just buy lasers that cool but for good ones they are 40 or more per unit and if your looking at DPSS be prepared to shell out $$$$ for them. If you are looking to build then start gathering the necessary items and space it out. dummy load and psu and DMM are three critical items you will need.. I have a 30v 5a psu that is a good starting one and can be found on fleabay for around 60$ dummy loads are 25 or around there and you can get a nice DDM for 15 or less..Its just a matter of what you want to do and go from there.. The search engine on LPF is invaluable and use it before making threads because Most of the time some one has asked it before..

One more hint look to the vets read their threads and ask question most of the time they will happily answer!

Again welcome to LPF Best Laser Forum and great place to make friends!

Welcome!

What is your trade of choice? chippy leco plumber?

You will learn lots here son,

Fiddy.

Hi Fiddy.

Thanks.

I am a carpenter and joiner by trade.

I am head carpenter and construction supervisor of a bunch of great tradies building a gated community of 35 homes and another project of 8x 2 storey townhouses. I love it. Excellent crew of people.
I am a bit greedy at the moment, smashing out the hours. Lol. Spare money for laser stuff possibly.
Even though I am a tradie I still have nerdy geeky interests.

What is your trade Fiddy?

No red laser level glasses are good for 620nm to 710 nm each color on the wavelength cart needs it own glasses such at 210-475nm will need a pair any thing over 475 nm to 590 will need another pair and 590nm -720nm will need a pair and if you go in to the ir spectrum you will need another pair.. you will spend around 120$ us to .......

Thanks a bunch for that info Vortish. Very helpful.

Even though I'm a moderator on another internet forum, I still find searching for the relevent info buried in threads very time consuming, mainly because being new to lasers I be very easily distracted and go off on a tangent often. Haha. Too much interesting stuff in here hey.

I have seen quite a few sig links to interesting threads already.

Due to other net commitments and my time budget...it might take a bit before I have a good understanding of lasers. If only I could upload all this info into my head really quickly. Upload by reading is ridiculously slow.

Fiddy

Hi Fiddy.

Thanks.

I am a carpenter and joiner by trade.

I am head carpenter and construction supervisor of a bunch of great tradies building a gated community of 35 homes and another project of 8x 2 storey townhouses. I love it. Excellent crew of people.
I am a bit greedy at the moment, smashing out the hours. Lol. Spare money for laser stuff possibly.
Even though I am a tradie I still have nerdy geeky interests.

Sweet!

Im a electrician by trade with post grad engineering :)

If you are keen to learn from others you will learn a lot on this forum!

G'day Straylia, welcome to the forum. Looks like you have been filled in about some of the safety stuff, before pointing it up have a scout around for Aircraft, a very quick way to get into a lot of trouble. Also google up on Victorian laws regarding lasers, you need to know where you stand! Have a great time here, so much to learn!:beer:

Welcome to the LPF!

As has been stated already, there is a ton of great information in the forum archives. Poke around and be ready to learn. This hobby is quite addicting. You can't just have one. :)

Cheers,
Clayton

G'day Straylia, welcome to the forum. Looks like you have been filled in about some of the safety stuff, before pointing it up have a scout around for Aircraft, a very quick way to get into a lot of trouble. Also google up on Victorian laws regarding lasers, you need to know where you stand! Have a great time here, so much to learn!:beer:

Hi Busman,

I knew pointing at planes, cars, bikes, people, houses has always been a big no no. But I have learnt a lot in here about how easily it is to damage your own eyes just playing around at home. Lots of great safety tips here :thanks:

I'll fish around for the laser laws in Vic.

Welcome to the LPF!

As has been stated already, there is a ton of great information in the forum archives. Poke around and be ready to learn. This hobby is quite addicting. You can't just have one. :)

Cheers,
Clayton

Hi Clayton,

Yes, it's very addictive, and not real expensive to a degree.
I've learnt a tonne already, in just a few days of lurking.

Cheers

Dave

Welcome to LPF :>) This is a laser's nerd paradise, photonic nerdvana.
Lots of great info and people willing to lend their expertise. Poke around and have fun.

By a Carpenter mankind was made,
and only by that Carpenter can mankind be remade.

Desiderius Erasmus

Cheers

PS: I also like to work the wood.