Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

hey! noobie here, drago!

drago

Hello, i have been reading this forum for around one week. LPF clearly has a great community, now i know what a "nm" is, also a diode, host, module, etc...
Finally have i decided to register in this forum, i see that the community is pretty active in here!!! :san: good sign to see
anyway...
i wanted to buy the 200mw red laser from DX, but i noticed that they don't ship lasers above 5-30mw to the united states anymore... so i have to look for alternatives
THEN i went into wickedlasers.com; well and then i made some google research about the site and found that apparently they are getting overwhelmed with all the orders with the S3 arctic and they're taking too long to ship the orders.
and finally i ended up here :whistle:;my main reason to be in this forum is the following:
- i want to buy a laser made by any member on this forum
i would like to buy a green 100-200mw, something to satisfy my toy desire
AND then... i want to get into the DIY part of lasers
hopefully one day i can build a legendary 1W blue sexy laser
thanks for reading this!

EDIT: i forgot to ask for the link of any seller meeting my criteria of 100-200mw green laser or similar; i'm very confused with the boards like "group buys" because all i see throughout the site is "DIY kits" "laser measuring meters"

Last edited:

Kevlar

Welcome to LPF!!!
Look around and use the “Search” function, it is very helpful if you’re looking for some specific information. If you don’t find what you want the first time try different “key words”.
A good place to start is here, the “Rules & Stickies” section: http://laserpointerforums.com/f36/
Enjoy your stay!! You will find this a great community with lot of very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful people here. :beer:
If you're interested in the DIY of laser, check out the links in my sig, a good place to start. Also check out the "companies" section here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f41/ That will give you a good idea on what companies are good to deal with and you can check out what they carry.

DJNY

Welcome to the forums :wave:

I don´t know why people always complaining about DX not sending lasers >5mW to the US. They are so many more cheap Chinese sellers who send all lasers to the US!!
Try looking at this thread >>RED LASER<<

Drago, I'd bet you'd get to the point of building a 1W Blue sooner than you think.

A Group Buy is where one forum member places a large quantity order with a manufacturer, after gathering folks' money through paypal, etc, - so that the forum can get a quantity discount. Before the order is placed, you can PM th person running the group buy and arrange an order with them. Be forwarned though - these group buys take a while to go from payment-to-laser; meaning, they take a long time, as the lasers are manufactured to order. 2-3 months isn't unusual. HOWEVER! If you can wait, the discounts are pretty steep.

Now, for a ready-made 100-200mW Green, What's your price range? I'm going to point you to o-Like, because they have a good reputation here, and their lasers are generally as powerful as they say they are (unlike places like Focalprice.):

100mW Focusable:
New cute pocket Green laser 100mW /adjustable [OLCGL100] - $71.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

150mW Focusable:
New cute pocket Green laser 150mW /adjustable [OLCGL150] - $99.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

... If you want to start cheap though, they do have a 50mW version too:
New cute pocket Green laser 50mW /adjustable [OLCGL50] - $34.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

Now, you can get lasers for cheaper but here's a quick overview of reasons why you don't want to, from places like "focalprice.com" or "bestofferbuy":

-The lasers are usually nowhere near what they're actually rated. There's a strong tendency, I've seen, for "most" of these cheap chinese lasers to be around 30mW no matter what they're rated. 50mW will be 30mW; sometimes even 150mW will be 30mW. Almost NONE are 200mW, though many claim they are. Some 200mW ones from the cheap chinese shops will be ~100mW.

-Divergence, beam pattern, and focus are usually horrible. You'll get a big fat beam with a lot of speckles around it, that spreads out quickly.

-Build quality. A lot of these lasers will die a week after you get them. Some won't, but the savings generally aren't worth the chance.

Also: Do review the threads on laser safety here and make getting eye protection a priority!

That's a quick overview, I know that getting into lasers can be a lot of information at once.

drago

first of all thanks for the welcome and help, greatly appreciated

aryntha - you've made my day, thanks for the great info, i like the 50mw version, i want to start out cheap. as i said i want to fulfill my toy desire and this 50mw laser just fits the job perfectly :wave:

Cool, Drago. It's about the price of, and more power than you'd get from the ultra cheap ones anyways. If you've only seen 5mW green and red pocket pointers in the past, that one will still really impress you and is a good start.

Cool, Drago. It's about the price of, and more power than you'd get from the ultra cheap ones anyways. If you've only seen 5mW green and red pocket pointers in the past, that one will still really impress you and is a good start.
More like, blow your mind !

Drago, you will find that O-like has awsome lasers for the price and it's worth buying, also they have some DIY parts, like diode housings, and green modules.

200mW green is fairly expensive because it cannot be produced in standard 12mm casing anymore, it needs more powerful diode so there must be a room for that beast. Also, sustaining the power of 200mW requires a lot of heatsinking so the host you are using better be massive.

No such things as 200mW green laser 2x AAA pen, as DX advertises it. If you've been to DX, you've seen a lot of false advertising , 200mW pen being only one of them, and their lasers NEVER are up to specifications.

Anywhoo, Welcome to the Forum, pal!
Make sure to read through FAQ and Stickied topics,
And also make sure to protect not only your eyes, but eyes of those around you too!

Howdy and welcome to the forum :wave:
There is lot's of laser info here more than you can ever use ;)
So have fun and be safe !