Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Heres a good platform for your home made Laser

H

High_Octane

I thought those of you who are building lasers from CD Burners, Playstations or updating an old laser for more power, Check this out www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5785 .

20mW UltraFire WF-502B Flashlight-Style Green Laser (CR123A)
$34.90

Large area to work with, Better battery than 2 AAA's, On Off switch and the low price.
It just seemed to me to fit the bill.

I have one on order :)

** DDL EDIT: Fixed Link **

Attachments

• sku_5785_5.jpg
    sku_5785_5.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 254

H

High_Octane

I have a DX 200mw Green Laser that is sick, constant mode changes, so I have been attempting to disassemble it to remove the beam spliter and to disable the thingy that limits the power. so I can pod mod it as well as use a different power supply.

I Can't get the damn thing apart, but when I get this new housing, I'll get more forceful or I will use a laser from a CD Burner to build with. ether way I want over 200mw+ to play with in a handheld.
Lets see if my Mad Skills are enough to pull this off. ::)

By the way... I like this Forum better than the other one, it has more adult type posts and less child like responses, as well as less moderation when it comes to Other Laser Company's.
And the mods are WAY Better here.

ericab

hmmmm... this looks niiice.....is there enough room to fit a cap and resistor?

also, is that built in heat sinking i see there ... and an aixiz brass housing?!?

sku_5785_4.jpg

Benm

Interesting!

I'm looking for a 2x CR123 or 3xAAA flashlight as a host on DX, but it's very hard to tell how much space will be left for electronics. As i want to integrate a proper driver, it needs to be bigger than just a cap and resistor.

If anyone as suggestions, please drop those here too!

Also, when using senkat's diodes or other ones with grounded case, make sure that the flashlight's case is ground, not positive.

H

High_Octane

Well I hacked, Pulled Cut and Sawed my DX200mw apart.
What a PITA! this thing just refused to cooperate!

Anyways It still works "kinda" Even with a regulated 3.1 v power supply it still fluctuates like a mo.
I took a few pics, notice there is no POT to mod!

Also It looks like I can unscrew it between the circuit board and the diode. Any body done this?

Attachments

• DX_200mw_1_sm.png
    DX_200mw_1_sm.png
    196.1 KB · Views: 181
H

High_Octane

2nd Pic

Attachments

• DX_200mw_2_sm.png
    DX_200mw_2_sm.png
    174.8 KB · Views: 183
H

High_Octane

3rd Pic

Attachments

• DX_200mw_3_sm.png
    DX_200mw_3_sm.png
    336.8 KB · Views: 198
Pics look my DX 100mW.
Does is say Newwish anywhere?
Also I hate that spring next to the LD, a high current connection to the case I quess.

Please post more pics at differnt angles, of the driverboard and give us a current reading.
If you solder some wires to both springs and bypass the pushbutton and then power it up
you might find it works better.
Bad connections are a big problem.
Don't be careless and blow it.

Cheers [smiley=beer.gif]

H

High_Octane

Laserrod said:
Pics look my DX 100mW.
Does is say Newwish anywhere?
Also I hate that spring next to the LD, a high current connection to the case I quess.

Please post more pics at differnt angles, of the driverboard and give us a current reading.
If you solder some wires to both springs and bypass the pushbutton and then power it up
you might find it works better.
Bad connections are a big problem.
Don't be careless and blow it.

Cheers [smiley=beer.gif]
I believe that its the voltage regulator and/or the power switch. I will take more pics and post them here as time allows.

H

High_Octane

I used a magnifying glass in front of the lens of my digital camera to take the shots.
The first one is actually pics of my RatShack red LARGE pen style laser, I pot modded it and now its dim, so I took the potentiometer apart to make sure it wasn't broken, and I thought it would be interesting to some on how small it is. And yes its good can be reassembled.

The other two are of the front and back of my DX200mw POS.

Attachments

• Lasers3_001_sm.png
    Lasers3_001_sm.png
    654 KB · Views: 220
H

High_Octane

DX 200mw pos 1

Attachments

• Lasers3_004_sm.png
    Lasers3_004_sm.png
    609 KB · Views: 531
H

High_Octane

DX 200mw pos 2 and no I don't see Newwish anywhere.

Attachments

• Lasers3_005_sm.png
    Lasers3_005_sm.png
    613.5 KB · Views: 450
That power switch looks "smoked". My dx200 had problems with output until I cleaned the switch a little. Since you have it apart, jumper the switch. DX has switch problems with some of their pointers and it gets worse as the current draw goes up.

Mike

H

High_Octane

Hemlock Mike said:
That power switch looks "smoked". My dx200 had problems with output until I cleaned the switch a little. Since you have it apart, jumper the switch. DX has switch problems with some of their pointers and it gets worse as the current draw goes up.

Mike

I'll give that a try, How did you clean yours? Dissembly or compressed air?

My guess would be you would have to dissemble it to clean it properly.

Things

you can unscrew the module, but you risk disaligning the crystals, so it's safer not to!