Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Herc 475 mini review

Nomad

Note - this review is mini; not the herc. its the size of a heavy duty flashlight.

What I got:
Laserglow Hercules 475 - avg output 488mW, peak output 563mW

Does the beam show in bright sunlight? No, but it does with cloud cover
Does it burn holes in white paper? - Yes
Does it light matches? - I'm not going to even dignify that with a response
Does it slice branches off trees? - No
Does it pop ballons? - Yes
Does it vaporize wee beasties? Not really, just make them smoke a bit
Does it burn cardboard? -Yes, but only holes - no combustion
Does it sometimes set paper targets on fire? Yes (only 2 small accidental fires so far)
Does it light up the night sky? - No, but puts out a strong beam
Does it have duty cycle problem? No, it runs cool and strong until I get tired
Does it gobble batteries? No, using rechargeable12000mah NiMhs
Does it fit in your pocket? No, unless you are wearing cargo pants

Am I kicking myself for getting it? No, its an amazing piece of engineering and technology

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4U7dABVRJ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlpbe-Nn6gY

Last edited:

Welcome to the "Herc" club, Amigo!

Next step is a nice 8X Bluray at 400-450mW (Kryton host, of course) , A keychain LOC at 300-330mW (just for portabilities sake), and maybe a nice little HeNe for the desk (just because they look SOOOO cool) ...

After that, you're on your own!

Nomad

Welcome to the "Herc" club, Amigo!

Next step is a nice 8X Bluray at 400-450mW (Kryton host, of course) , A keychain LOC at 300-330mW (just for portabilities sake), and maybe a nice little HeNe for the desk (just because they look SOOOO cool) ...

After that, you're on your own!

Thanks for the welcome to the club - I already lost this herc - the wife saw it in action and decided that I had actually gotten it for her and just hadn't realized it. I'm now under orders to go find somethng "better" for me. Gotta love being married to a retired EE.

You know something that lasers and money have in common? They both can burn a hole in your pocket.

Nice Review. Post the code like this so people dont have to click the link.
use

Thanks for the welcome to the club - I already lost this herc - the wife saw it in action and decided that I had actually gotten it for her and just hadn't realized it. I'm now under orders to go find somethng "better" for me. Gotta love being married to a retired EE.

You know something that lasers and money have in common? They both can burn a hole in your pocket.

Now THERE's a familiar story ... My first 6X in a really cool custom anodized Kryton (built by Daguin himself) lasted all of 24hrs until my "better half" decided Blu-Ray was prettier than the 125mW greenie I had bought for her - On the upside, I was able to pick up a nice polished Kryton on the cheap so we both have matching 6X's woo hoo!

Oh, BTW, M - http://www.laserglow.com (it's not too often you find these used, so unless you are willing to wait for a LONG time, just sell your car and order a new one!)

D

Deleted member 8382

i will be joining this clun too where can i buy a herc laser?

It was suposed to be bought in laserglow.com, but now I look and maximium 400mW! where to get these 475mW beasts?

Nomad

It was suposed to be bought in laserglow.com, but now I look and maximium 400mW! where to get these 475mW beasts?

Notice the statement "Higher output power levels also available while quantities last. Contact Us for more info!" on the Laserglow.com website.

If you are interested in anything stronger than the Herc 400 you have to make a special request via email or phone.

i see thats the difference of Herc(laserglow) and Hulk Ultra(dragonlasers) ...

Three things:
Did you get a deal on these being a member of LPF?
And lol holy crap I want to see that power with a beam expander, 300 feet popping balloons?

I envy you Nomad

edit: I'm an idiot there is a Beam expander on that. What kind?

Kenom

there is no comparison between the "hulk" and the Hercules. The hercules has ACTIVE cooling meaning no duty cycle and 100% complete stability. Not even going to comment on the Hulk.. dragon.. MEH!

Nomad

Three things:
Did you get a deal on these being a member of LPF?
And lol holy crap I want to see that power with a beam expander, 300 feet popping balloons?

I envy you Nomad

edit: I'm an idiot there is a Beam expander on that. What kind?

Yes LG gave me the LPF discount.
The beam expander is a LG Hercules X10DR.
I don't know the maximum range yet - ran out of ballons and weekend. Guessing somewhere between 200 and 300 feet.

Last edited:
You've lit paper on fire with it?!?! I didn't know you could do that with 500mW. I know what I am going to do when I get home. The least I have lit paper on fire with a green laser was 1 Watt. What kind of paper was it? We are talking flames here right?

Nomad

You've lit paper on fire with it?!?! I didn't know you could do that with 500mW. I know what I am going to do when I get home. The least I have lit paper on fire with a green laser was 1 Watt. What kind of paper was it? We are talking flames here right?

I actually got flames this morning burning a bank statement - it started out as a quickly spreading burning circle that flamed. Patted it out before thing go too out of hand. Note - the black strips on the back of old credit cards are fun but stinky.

Update - I have been trying to get flames again - but after setting up ther camcorder and reducing several bank statements to ashes - have not been able to get actual licking flames again like yesterday - yet. But I'm willing to take a polygraph - anyone else got that app on their iphone?

Last edited:
That is amazing. I think if you made a video of this you would be the first to have a youtube of a handheld green laser lighting paper on fire (other than that spark paper or whatever it is called)