Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with NUBM44-V2 Blue Laser Diode

My old laser diode has died and I want to get a new one. One thing that concerns me is that the NUBM44 I have in my laser does not have a can top. Every other picture I have seen of this type of laser has the can top.

Has anyone seen a NUBM44-V2 or V1 without a can top where you can actually see the laser semiconductor.

I just need advice..
Many thanks Dave

Many thanks... The seller said it came like that but.. Anyway - as I am just getting my CO2 laser I will be busy with that. Will get a NUBM44 in the future though.

May I know where you purchased this pointer from? If a LPF member, never mind.

Maybe the diode was reused from one which had a bad window, the window on these diodes sometimes fry at the power levels we use, I had one do that and de-canned the diode, it has not failed yet since, but could, if dust got on the diode facet. I am not sure why the windows on these diodes fail, if dust on the window, or if the windows are sometimes unable to withstand as much power as we push these diodes to produce. Could be either, but I'm wondering if we are just pushing them too hard for the window to take and a percentage of them fail.

Those diodes have been shown to fail more quickly when decanned. Seems like all blue diodes do. That is the best reason not to decan a blue diode, but if you are having problems with the window you may have few options left to you.

Hi,
If your not to fussy about total divergence, And still enjoy the Wave Length . The factory Ball Lens isn't to bad considering .
Like Paul stated it seems that the Blue color spectrum has that tendency to shorten the diodes life when the can is removed.
You can always use a Beam Expander of your choice. I don't mind to much about a G Ball lens any of the them.
Rich:)

Laserbran

Hiya;
I'm no expert but yes it sounds like an open can diode. Done sometimes when a ball lense is in place if the diode is salvaged from another device. Sanwu for example used open can NUBM44 V1 but they degraded quickly even when not in use. I would of course point to you DTR's Laser Shop for any and all diode purchase, super great guy and his diodes are fresh, legit, and cutting edge. :)

DTR

Sanwu for example used open can NUBM44 V1 but they degraded quickly even when not in use. I would of course point to you DTR's Laser Shop for any and all diode purchase, super great guy and his diodes are fresh, legit, and cutting edge. :)

I am sure that has to be a misconception or misrepresentation. All NUMB44 V1/V2 come with a normal windowed can which is one reason they are worth paying 2X for as well as being more powerful. It just would not make sense to go cutting the windowed cans off them for no reason. I say cut as they are welded down well which best option to not damage the diode or get debris on the emitter is to use a can opener which would leave a nice rim around the base of the cut off can so you could look for this to confirm . If ripped off the look of the weld residue on can be easily identified but that method tends to shatter the glass and gets debris all over the emitter. The diodes with the ball lens just seems to be using an adhesive to hold them on and they pop off nice and easy leaving the top of the diodes base nice and clean. Anyway back during the original NUBM44 days they did not sell that projector in the Asian market. If you wanted a NUBM44 you had to get it from the America's. Not sure they have a model over there still which has them. Only a few years ago I started seeing NUMB44 blocks show up which were used pulls with very old serials. If you note many of the tin pin diodes come out of blocks with three year old serials and no attempt to hide/obscure the traceable bits like the qr codes or series.

Anyway not sure if they actually said that they were using open can NUMB44's or it was just something you saw somewhere but the NUBM41's, NUBM42's and NUBM08's are common one to push hard to chase that 7W NUMB44-V2 and yes when being overdriven that hard and having the seal broke will lead to greatly accelerated degradation.

Laserbran

Hiya;
This info came from Sanwu themselves. I had ordered a Striker 7w and they stated the one they pulled from the stock had degraded and that it used a open can NUBM44 v1. You can email them yourself of course. They were only getting 5.6w from it. They also stated that it was an overdriven diode to get the 7w and that only the single mode striker had 7w. Many customers were also complaining about quick degradation with the Striker 7w and that it was due to it being open can. I do not know if they cut the lenses out or what I never had one to actually look at. I ordered a NUBM44 V2 from DTR's Laser Shop and it's closed can. The driver was ordered set at 4.5A and it is reading 7.6w on my Meter(which is used) His online tests show the same result. Now I've also used my laser for at least 100 hours now staying to a strict 60 sec interval with full cool downs after 2 or 3 shots but I use it often and it has not degraded at all for out put!