Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with Nd YAG lasers construction

diachi

Want to make a Nd YAG laser I got this rod
Nd:YAG crystals, Nd:YAG laser crystals, Nd:YAG rods, Nd:YAG crystal rod, Nd: YAG laser rod, Nd:YAG laser rod price, Nd:YAG crystal price, Nd:YAG crystal buy, Nd:YAG crystals for solid-state lasers, laser rods

So my question is how much power is required by rod ? What is the output of laser. (I can provide flash upto 1W) ? Consider the dimensions 3mm dia X 8mm .

What coatings did you get?

What's your pump source?

What other optics/components do you have? Do you have any?

Do you have any experiencing building solid state lasers?

diachi

I use this as pump
http://http://m.ebay.com/itm/322574262544
x2
I have normal laser mirror .basically I want to know the output power and first time with solid state laser

Ok... Do you have a pump chamber? Have you used high energy flash lamps before? Do you have a lamp driver? What are the dimensions of your rod?

"Normal mirror" really doesn't tell us much...

Not really the best point to jump in at with solid state lasers...

We can't really give you an expected output power. It depends on pulse duration, pump energy, rod dimensions, Nd dopant percentage and optics configuration.

You want help, but you haven't provided even the most basic information about your components.

Last edited:
You want to pump this with a flash lamp? It might be better to pump it with high power 808nm diode array. It could operate in CW instead of pulse mode and would alleviate the need for a Q switch. If the YAG rod hasn't been mirrored, you'll need to use external HR and OC mirrors. With a flash lamp you will need an elliptical mirrored chamber for the flash lamp and YAG at the two focal points in the ellipse. It can be done, but it will be trial and error effort until it is done.

Benm

With a flash lamp you will need an elliptical mirrored chamber for the flash lamp and YAG at the two focal points in the ellipse. It can be done, but it will be trial and error effort until it is done.

This seems, however, exactly what these components were designed for.

Lasers that don't require the elliptical reflective enclosure often have a helical xenon flashlamp that goes around the rod, not a linear one like this.

The listing on the YAG rods is pretty vague though, it seems like they provide the surface finishes as options. Perhaps they come, by default, as HR coated on one end and AR coated on the other (for 1064) such that you could add your own ouput mirror and q-switch in the system, but it lacks any practical information.

It might be quite expensive to try to find a helical flash lamp that will cover he whole of the YAG rod. My understanding is these are finding disfavor with designers of optically pumped YAGs these days. Finding the exact xenon helical flash lamp if possible, might not be financially viable for a build like this.

Last edited:

Benm

I suppose the elliptical chamber approach has been proven to be more effective over time, the helical tube something from the earlier stages of this laser design.

The downside of it all is that you really need all 3 parts to make it work.

That's a really short rod to utilize a straight flash tube.
I too would opt for the 808 diode bar.
HM

Last edited:

Ved

Ok... Do you have a pump chamber? Have you used high energy flash lamps before? Do you have a lamp driver? What are the dimensions of your rod?

"Normal mirror" really doesn't tell us much...

Not really the best point to jump in at with solid state lasers...

We can't really give you an expected output power. It depends on pulse duration, pump energy, rod dimensions, Nd dopant percentage and optics configuration.

You want help, but you haven't provided even the most basic information about your components.

There you go
Flash tube-

Operating DC voltage = 850 V - 2,250 V
Max. ave. power in open air 450 W
Discharge dimensions: 10 mm dia. x 165 mm length
1000 microsecond pulse duration
800nm

YAG crystal-
0.1% doping range
HR-Coating: R > 99.8%@1064nm and R <5%@808nm
Laser Wavelength 1064nm

Ved

i am not looking towards the circuit firstly i want do some maths and calculations then moving foward.appreciate all your help

Ved - How will you concentrate that power from two
flash tubes with an arc length of ~100 mm into an
8 mm long yag rod, part of which is for mounting?
HM

If you did buy one, curious the price? Hard to imagine shelling out the money for a new one without having much of a clue regarding what to expect, feed us more brother, photo's? What are your intensions for such a project?

Last edited:

Ved

If you did buy one, curious the price? Hard to imagine shelling out the money for a new one without having much of a clue regarding what to expect, feed us more brother, photo's? What are your intensions for such a project?

Just have flash tubes and nothing else thought I could have use them somewhere