Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

help noob choose a projector

Hello, I'm completely new to laser projectors, or whatever they are called (can't find an exact classification of such devices on the internet).

I'm looking for a laser projector or similar device which will allow me to do something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0PPrfRo8sg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL5wv06WSb0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcuxdaVCu_Q

I'm low on budget, I can't afford anything higher than 1000$. I've found some projectors in the 300-500$ price range on ebay but not sure about their quality. (I can post ebay links if that will help to answer).

I thought maybe you guys could help me pick a projector which doesn't cost too much but has the features I want.

I don't really need a RGB (RGV) projector, one color will suffice (preferably blue).
What I need is 1) ability to play movies (frames) stored in a SD card or similar removable storage and 2) a projector that can cover the most area in the given price range.

I have few years of experience in 3d modelling and animating, so I think I can make some interesting laser animations for other people.
I want the projector to use it in parties in holidays, birthdays and marriages of close people and so on.

If you'll suggest a projector, please mention it's price, “cover area size” and anything important which I don't know is important but should.

Thank you all in advance. :)

ARG

You should talk to Hakzaw1, he's knows the ins and outs of cheap projectors. He'll more than likely be able to help you out :D

Last edited:
the coverage area is almost unlimited. the closer you are the more eye strain. the further the harder it is to see. YOU can adjust the location of the projector. lasers are no toys and if in america some states (maybe all im not certain) require a license. you should understand the ins and outs of LASERS before attempting a projector. first and most important, Light Amplification through Stimulated Emision of Radiation. LASER. above all responsibility. Best of luck!

the coverage area is almost unlimited. the closer you are the more eye strain. the further the harder it is to see.
Yes, you mean it gets blurrier as you move away, right? But I mean surely some projectors have lasers which stay sharper from a given distance to the wall than the rest, right? I don't know what that depends on, maybe you could help me on that so I'll know what to look for in the specifications of the projector before buy.

lasers are no toys and if in america some states (maybe all im not certain) require a license.
I've searched the internet about this and all I could find were laws prohibiting sale and use (but not import, like by ebay) of laser pointers above some power range and using them to purposefuly harm people.
If you guys know more or have some links on laws regarding lasers, please let me know.
Thanks for the word of caution.

Now can you guys help me pick a projector please? :p

I am happy to help but ask that you enter your location at your personal profile page.
Make giving good advice easier.
PM coming..

btw by simply following a few 'rules' projectors are not dangerous.

Used in private they also are not 'illegal'

Any over 5mW are not legal- w/o all the needed permits. Aside from eye/skin injuries
the most common 'problem' comes when a second party reports you to the FDA.

If you scan the audience --you are being VERY risky. If sued you will lose every time.
Being safe does not make you 'legal' --- Strictest enforcement is in the USA-toughtest states are Arizona then Texas. Stick to LEDs--