Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help Needed: Accurate laser for aiming

SportsLight

Please help, I need an accurate laser, medium/hi power non-burning. Intended use is to aim Stadium Lights. Accuracy is #1, ability to easily see from 100 Ft in air aiming onto green turf. We are currently using cheapo generic green laser scope with x,y adjustments. The current laser takes one 16340 battery. These lasers will see limited usage. Price range tbd based on your recommendations.

Thanks in advance, you guys seem well versed in lasers! I'm not opposed to buying from sponsors here, I would need an invoice so cannot buy from individuals and I will be buying in bulk! I'm the production manager. Thanks.

diachi

Wouldn't it be easier to just turn on the lights and aim them that way?

GSS

Accurate is kinda a broad question. These are to mounted in a scope?
How long of a run time and how do you want the power switch? Believe it or not those cheap 301's 303's in red can do 150mw to 200mw and I would think more be more visible on the green turf.
They are cheap and can come in a variety with different switches from momentary to back clicky. At 100ft not sure how wide the spot would be but it will be were you point it..

SportsLight

Sports fixtures i.e. stadium lights cannot be aimed using there beam pattern onto the field. Everything is calculated for even light distribution, hence the laser. Its not like you can put a bunch of light up and eyeball them and say its good. This is also why you rarely see shadows during sporting events and also fans are not blinded watching the game in the stands.

We are currently using these. I don't want or need to make a custom laser. For purpose of aiming lights the laser is mounted square with the light.

For an example if we mount the laser body to a level and verify that it is level to the horizontal axis. If the laser optic is tilted 3 degrees down due to manufacturing, this will point x (varies w/ distance) degrees lower that it should. Therefore throwing my aim off.

SportsLight

I just need advice on a reputable brand, I understand how most if not all generic chinese products have varying quality. They may all look the same on the outside but some are better than others.

SportsLight

Accurate is kinda a broad question. These are to mounted in a scope?
How long of a run time and how do you want the power switch? Believe it or not those cheap 301's 303's in red can do 150mw to 200mw and I would think more be more visible on the green turf.
They are cheap and can come in a variety with different switches from momentary to back clicky. At 100ft not sure how wide the spot would be but it will be were you point it..

They will not be mounted to a scope they are mounted square (level w/ horizontal axis) to the light fixture. Do you have any recommendations?

Run time needs to be a few hours, but we can swap batteries. switch can be at tail cap. Image being in a man lift 100 ft in the air aiming a light on a football/baseball field.

They will not be mounted to a scope they are mounted square (level w/ horizontal axis) to the light fixture. Do you have any recommendations?

Run time needs to be a few hours, but we can swap batteries. switch can be at tail cap. Image being in a man lift 100 ft in the air aiming a light on a football/baseball field.
Your stipulations are not realistic. The type of lasers you see hear won't meet your requirements. Furthermore the laser that will is $$$. Furthermore if you live in the states you are limited to 5 milli-watt maximum output in a commercial setting that's low power. Anything higher than that runs the risk of oops hitting someone in the eye leading potentially to a lawsuit, fines...

SportsLight

Your stipulations are not realistic. The type of lasers you see hear won't meet your requirements. Furthermore the laser that will is $$$. Furthermore if you live in the states you are limited to 5 milli-watt maximum output in a commercial setting that's low power. Anything higher than that runs the risk of oops hitting someone in the eye leading potentially to a lawsuit, fines...

Any suggestions on make/model? I can live with 5mW. When aiming the entire site is considered a work zone so not too worried about lawsuits and such. The aiming process is common in the industry, I am just working on improvements.

"For an example if we mount the laser body to a level and verify that it is level to the horizontal axis. If the laser optic is tilted 3 degrees down due to manufacturing, this will point x (varies w/ distance) degrees lower that it should. Therefore throwing my aim off. "

All aiming lasers will be adjustable for the X & Y axis. You will need to make the necessary adjustments yourself to get the dot wherever it is you need it to be.
You will also need to figure out how to mount it to your light fixture. Most of theses sights mount up to a picatiny rail. I'm sure you could get away with using cheap plastic rails. Or, if you need more precise mounting you could spend big bucks on something like these:

Any of the good quality lasers from reputable manufacturers (crimson trace, lasermax, steiner, viridian, etc.) will be limited to >5mW. You are probably better off buying a cheap Chinese import as it will undoubtedly be over spec.

Will each light get its own dedicated aiming laser, or will you use one and move it from light to light?

Could we please see a picture of where the lasers will be mounted? It will help us better understand exactly what you need.

If aiming the lights is so difficult, I bet a proper aiming tool already exists. No?

Any suggestions on make/model? I can live with 5mW. When aiming the entire site is considered a work zone so not too worried about lawsuits and such. The aiming process is common in the industry, I am just working on improvements.
I don't have suggestions beyond a laboratory laser which will be $$$$.
You missed the point I was making. It's against federal law to use a laser in a commercial setting greater than 5 mW. But that's not a concern.

P.S. However, it may be possible to aquire permission to use a higher class laser. You'll have to enquire further if the need arises.

Since you plan on using this to aim lights, you might be better off buying a lab style laser over a pointer. These usually come in a fan forced air host that is rectangular in shape. These can be switched over to using batteries as many use either a +12 volt supply or a +5 volt supply. It depends on the color laser you want as to how much you may have to spend to get one, but you could get a 200 mW 532nm green one for ~$50.00. You could get a lower power red for a bit less money. You can find these on eBay if you decide to go in this direction.

SportsLight

"For an example if we mount the laser body to a level and verify that it is level to the horizontal axis. If the laser optic is tilted 3 degrees down due to manufacturing, this will point x (varies w/ distance) degrees lower that it should. Therefore throwing my aim off. "

All aiming lasers will be adjustable for the X & Y axis. You will need to make the necessary adjustments yourself to get the dot wherever it is you need it to be.
You will also need to figure out how to mount it to your light fixture. Most of theses sights mount up to a picatiny rail. I'm sure you could get away with using cheap plastic rails. Or, if you need more precise mounting you could spend big bucks on something like these:

Any of the good quality lasers from reputable manufacturers (crimson trace, lasermax, steiner, viridian, etc.) will be limited to >5mW. You are probably better off buying a cheap Chinese import as it will undoubtedly be over spec.

Will each light get its own dedicated aiming laser, or will you use one and move it from light to light?

Could we please see a picture of where the lasers will be mounted? It will help us better understand exactly what you need.

If aiming the lights is so difficult, I bet a proper aiming tool already exists. No?

I'm away from the office so no pictures currently.

I would rather not buy from steiner if it's not necessary. The laser is only used after new installation so most likely only be used for one project. As an oem we are trying to get costs down but still use a good product. Many of the lasers made for weapons have alot of engineering (costs) to shock proof them which we do not need.

The laser and it's holder is moved from light to light. I may have mislead yall with the run time, it does not stay on for very long the lights themselves have degrees marked on the mounting arms but they are not as accurate as we would like. I would say they may be on for a few minutes at a time.

As far as a existing system. Let's just say the largest led light manufacturer uses a red laser that is one step above a cat toy.

To help you visualize how its mounted... Imagine a weber Charcoal grill, with the grill grate as the face of the light. The laser sits at 12:00 leveled with the horizontal axis of the face of the light. Of course the laser point will be X" above the center of the face of the light.

SportsLight

Here's an update, I was able to zero the current laser w/ x y adjustments to within a few inches at 85 Ft. We had some non adjustable lasers to compare and those were off from 3-5 Ft.. at 85 Ft distance from laser to dot. I suppose I will be locked in to this current setup. Thanks for the input fom everyone I will update if anyone is interested.

you bet--we are always interested & where are the pics? the night shots.
So are no longer wanting to buy in 'bulk'?

SportsLight

you bet--we are always interested & where are the pics? the night shots.
So are no longer wanting to buy in 'bulk'?

I cannot provide picks due to legal issues. I am doing some initial R&D, I inherit these lasers from previous manager. From my testing of the lasers that we have in stock I am most likely moving away from 16340 to 18650 batteries. So a new laser. New requirements will be a reliable bright red or green. Bright enough for daytime usage but not too bright that they will burn. I would take any suggestions as far as known good quality models.