Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help me with my laser please

Abel

Hi everyone, im a newbie with lasers
i was making my first laser and i failed, can someone pls explain to me what i did wrong.

the things that i used were:
No-Diode Host Bundle from survival lasers
G-2 Lens Assembly from Survival lasers
Two Ultrafire RCR123A batterys
M140 M-Type 2W 445Nm
and an external Lens Spring

(and goggles ofc)

So i began by pressing the diode into a copper Host, then i put the driver into the brass ring and pill
I soldered the red lead to the positive side and the black lead to the negative side of the diode and i put shrink wrap over both leads i assembled the laser Host, (the leads didn't twist) when i put the batteries in and pressed on the button nothing happened the only thing the got really hot was the driver does someone know what to do?

Please help me bc im very sad right now
Edit: it's the driver Bc the diode works can I fix the driver or do I need to buy another one?

Last edited:

Which driver did you use? I have always used a 1.8 amp X-Drive with that diode in all of my builds. It is a buck driver and one usually gets over 2 watts out in optical power with a G2 lens. I have one doing more than 2.2 watts out. These drivers used to be available from DTR's site, but I'm not certain if they are currently available there. I used to get mine direct from lazeerer who built them.

Abel

i just used the regular driver that you got with the No Diode Host Bundle
set at 1.5 A

sorry i cant post links yet

kecked

think this is what he has. is there an on/off swicth you need to wire? also don't run the driver without a heatsink. think that's why it's hot.
Doesn't look like it has on/off wires
1614284027018.png

no experience with this just posting pic for you.

Yeah, I don't have any experience with that driver either. Haven't used any Survival Laser Hosts, so I don't know if these even take the ubiquitous 12 mm modules that one would install into the heat sink. I would suspect that they do have some hosts that take these modules and that is the way I would go with this.

Encap

Contact Gary at Survival Lasers, tell him what happened and ask him what he suggests you do at this point as you are deep into assembilng a laser with his kit and driver already.
PM Gary at Survival Laser his LPF nick is "Garoq" here on LPF or send him a message on the Survival Laser contact page.

Last edited:

gazer101

I once fried an M140 with ESD... those decent-divergence diodes are sensitive as hell until they are built into a laser host

did you make a couple solder contacts on the ring to pill? so its connecting the circuit. maybe you mentioned that but not sure. what i mean is that i wonder if the driver is getting power but its not going to the Laser diode? i made that same mistake once. just keep in mind that in this hobby you can do everything right and still sometimes blow something up or make a mistake, we all have done it. ive done it 3 times now. 4 maybe. accidently fried a diode a week after building it. a 462nm. killed me inside lol

Garoq

Abel, can you post some photos of your build, or contact me via PM? That would help immensely in trying to diagnose your issues. Thanks!

Garoq

Yeah, I don't have any experience with that driver either. Haven't used any Survival Laser Hosts, so I don't know if these even take the ubiquitous 12 mm modules that one would install into the heat sink. I would suspect that they do have some hosts that take these modules and that is the way I would go with this.
Hi Paul, all our hosts/heatsinks will accept 12mm diode modules. We also have adapters for DTR’s 20mm modules.

Garoq

think this is what he has. is there an on/off swicth you need to wire? also don't run the driver without a heatsink. think that's why it's hot.
Doesn't look like it has on/off wires
View attachment 71830

no experience with this just posting pic for you.
This is the driver that he is using:

I've got a 502 nm laser in my collection. Getting one that is 500 nm wouldn't be that difficult to get. Might cost quite a bit depending on who you purchased it from.