Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help me fix an Xbox 360

keep the air holes open. dont stand the xbox up(can also damage discs and blocks airholes on that side).

the solder doesnt melt to give you the rrod. M$ uses crappy solder and the repeated heating and coolong of the system causes cold solder joint and they eventually break. it can sometimes be fixed by reflowing the gpu.

ZRTMWA

Reflowing the gpu? Is that something you would recomend a noob try? And is that something you do before or after you get the red ring of death.

reflowing means remelting the solder and no i dont recommend a noob trying it. you have to learn at some point but you take the risk of f*%&ing up your xbox if you dont know what your doing. i relow boards in an oven similar to the way rkcstr used to make his drivers. you have to be careful or you can damage capacitors doing it that way. most people use a hot air gun to reflow b/c you can control the parts you heat up more.

call 1-800-4my xbox they will repair it once for free no matter what unless its been opened up

call 1-800-4my xbox they will repair it once for free no matter what unless its been opened up

i recommend doing that first b/c once it gets the RRoD it WILL come back eventually. most xboxs i fix go back to the RRoD within 3 months. ive only had one thats lasted for a while and its been going for almost 2yrs after my fix. the reason its been going so long is probably b/c the guy doesnt play it much anymore... always try the official xbox support first though.

ZRTMWA

Thanks guys. Since I think I've figured out Live, I will soon be playing the 360 for hours and will probably get the Red Ring of Death.

I know for a fact what triggers the 3 red ring of death (actually its more like 3/4 of 1 red ring). Anyway, its due to a lack of power coming form the power supply, mostly the cause is a faulty power supply, the power supply overheating, or from power surges. If the Xbox is consistently getting an incorrect amount of voltage, then you will get the infamous 3 red rings. One time at my work I had 3 xbox's and 3 LCD TV's plugged into the same power strip. Everything turned on fire, but when I loaded the game (dirt 2, good game) all the Xbox's immediately got the 3 red rings. Fortunately is was only a temporary thing because I just used a wider gauge of cord and it worked fine. Im just saying it might be from a lack of power going to the xbox.

Sometimes if your lucky, the power is coming from your wall outlet. Try plugging it into a different outlet, hopefully that will fix the problem.

If you have been getting the red rings several times, then the problem might be permanent :(. The onl thing to do in that case is to return it (if you have warrenty). But unfortunently you opened up the system witch immedietly voids all warranty.

I know for a fact what triggers the 3 red ring of death (actually its more like 3/4 of 1 red ring). Anyway, its due to a lack of power coming form the power supply, mostly the cause is a faulty power supply, the power supply overheating, or from power surges. If the Xbox is consistently getting an incorrect amount of voltage, then you will get the infamous 3 red rings. One time at my work I had 3 xbox's and 3 LCD TV's plugged into the same power strip. Everything turned on fire, but when I loaded the game (dirt 2, good game) all the Xbox's immediately got the 3 red rings. Fortunately is was only a temporary thing because I just used a wider gauge of cord and it worked fine. Im just saying it might be from a lack of power going to the xbox.

Sometimes if your lucky, the power is coming from your wall outlet. Try plugging it into a different outlet, hopefully that will fix the problem.

If you have been getting the red rings several times, then the problem might be permanent :(. The onl thing to do in that case is to return it (if you have warrenty). But unfortunently you opened up the system witch immedietly voids all warranty.

you should read up a little more... the RRoD(depending on the secondary error code) is a "general hardware failure." basically it means the xbox doesnt know whats wrong. its usually caused by the gpu or other chips on the motherboard and has almost nothing to do with power supply issues...

you should read up a little more... the RRoD(depending on the secondary error code) is a "general hardware failure." basically it means the xbox doesnt know whats wrong. its usually caused by the gpu or other chips on the motherboard and has almost nothing to do with power supply issues...

Oh, well I was basing that off personal experience.

0001 power supply problem
0002 Network Interface problem
0003 Power problem could be the PSU could be the GPU/CPU, somehow the console isn't getting clean power from the power supply.
0010 over heating
0011 over heating - If you are receiving this error after disassembling your console make sure to all 8 of the heatsync screws are tightened securely to the board/heatsink holes.
0012 over heating
0013 over heating
0020 (Not yet known, possibly overheating)
0021 DVD Drive Time out - Can be caused by problems with a firmware flash. This is also speculated to sometime be caused by a problem with the southbridge chipset on the motherboard.
0022 GPU Error / GPU Overheating
0023 (not yet known)
0101 (not yet known)
0102 unknown error

I knew power supply problems had to be on that list