Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help identify this pointer please...

mfo

I recently purchased this laser off of a member who is taking a break from the forums for a while. I was told that this was an old, discontinued CNI model laser. I shot an email off to Ava (from CNI) who informed me that she's not recognizing the serial that I provided to her. Here's a picture of the laser as well as a picture of the label on the bottom.

5pwAj.jpg

I'm trying to find out if I should use a 3V or a 3.7V battery to power this thing. It was advertised as a 550mW laser @ 980nm, but it only hits 375mW with the provided battery (I was provided a 3V battery). My searches point me in the direction of this being a Dino Direct laser. I did pop in a 3.7V (4.2V Fully charged) and the power did go up significantly, but I'm unsure of whether or not this will stress and kill the diode.

Firedragon-VII 980nm 500mw Flashlight Handheld Pure Infrared Laser Pointer Pen (Certified Power Guaranteed) - DinoDirect.com

Can anyone confirm if this pointer is indeed an old, discontinued CNI laser? I know some websites like Dino Direct do have knock offs of CNI's hosts.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Those stickers look familiar to all of the stickers I saw on Hak's jetlasers.

It does not look like a CNI to me, but I may be wrong.

mfo

Those stickers look familiar to all of the stickers I saw on Hak's jetlasers.

It does not look like a CNI to me, but I may be wrong.

Well, I'm guessing Dino Direct is a drop shipper, right?

mfo

Why don't you start with a 3.0V battery and test the
output... if it is REALLY low then maybe it takes 3.7V
batteries...

Jerry

Well, I tested the outputs with both batteries and the higher voltage battery did yield better results. However, I want to make sure from the manufacturer (If I can find out who that is) that the 3.7V battery will not damage the product in the long run.

mfo

Also, sent an e-mail to jet lasers, Gray informed me this is not one of their lasers. When I sent the picture of this laser in the OP over to Ava from CNI, she said she would forward the info to the engineers and would get back to me (She's still not recognizing it). Strange....

may i ask who sold it to you?...
unless you would rather leave them out for now..

Last edited:

mfo

may i ask who sold it to you?...
unless you would rather leave them out for now..

Sure.

Laser Pointer Forums - Discuss Lasers & Laser Pointers - View Profile: Fenzir

And the thread

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/1-50mw-green-130mw-650-still-sale-66405.html

I already received a partial refund due to the laser not being up to spec with the battery he provided. If it turns out to be able to use the higher voltage batteries, then I may refund the refund minus the cost of the batteries I will have to buy for this laser to get it working as advertised. It all depends on Ava's response. If this turns out not to be a CNI laser I'm going to be pretty irked as I don't like being lied to.

No problem

To see if you're lucky.

This is a photo of the laser that sell.

jetlasersremoteconnecto.jpg

@mfo

That looks like the DD laser Fenzir was looking to buy when he was looking for an IR laser...

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/wtb-high-powered-ir-laser-65485.html

Title says it all, looking for a high powered IR laser. Anything above 300mw will do, but what really sparks my interest is this one from Dinodirect. I know they don't have the best reputation, but somebody did a review and it was going at 800mw

[url=http://www.dinodirect.com/laser-pointer-pen-handheld-infrared-808nm-1000mw.html]Firedragon-VII 808nm 1000mw Flashlight Handheld Pure Infrared Laser Pointer Pen (Certified Power Guaranteed) - DinoDirect.com
Anything above 300mw would be nice, but I'm not looking to spend a lot of money.

Located in US.

And yes, I am aware of the dangers and have a pair of IR glasses on the way.
[/URL]

Last edited:
The labels look similar to those on my old "SkyLaser" portables.
Even the numbering system is the same.
HMike

Last edited: