Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HELP! DX200mW and 50mW went dim!

As title says both of my newest red lasers went dim :(, ive already found these threads regarding the same:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/my-new-style-dilda-dead-53690.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/red-200mw-laser-not-working-correctly-49295.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/red-200mw-laser-dim-45218.html

I dont think that batteries are the problem, i have 3 different pairs of CR2 3.0V (2 of them are rechargable) and over 12 rechargable AAA's and its the same with all of them. So since it seems this issue cant be repaired my question is...

What exactly causes this?, are there any tips or ways to avoid it?:can:

Im worried about it because... honestly i dont think i did something to damage my laser or hurt the diode, or whatever, i only turned on the dilda to try my red laser goggles from rayfoss (i finally got the package today :)) and the dot was just as bright as usual, then 2 seconds after i turned it on again and the dot was very dim, not even a flash of red light followed by dim light nor even a sound/noise or any sign, just a plain dim dot all of sudden :wtf:

I didnt even have a chance to wear the goggles and test them! :cryyy:, as for the 50mW newwish pen, it died on the 2nd day when i took it with me and it was in my pocket for over 5hrs, so maybe it accidentally turned on and exceeded the duty cicle or something, but for my dilda i have no clue of what could have killed it :undecided:

Now im planning to buy either this:

www.rayfoss.com

or the 200mW waterproof from o-like but now im afraid they die as suddenly as these two, so any tips or suggestion on how to take care of red lasers will be pretty much appreciated :eek:

However i attached some pics of the lasers in comparison with my cheap 5mW and 3 in 1 flashlight from DX too.

Thanks for reading! :thanks:

Attachments

• DSC00614.jpg
    DSC00614.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC00619.jpg
    DSC00619.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC00618.jpg
    DSC00618.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 2,820
  • DSC00630.jpg
    DSC00630.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC00626.jpg
    DSC00626.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 152

Just one suggestion to try and eliminate possibilities, use some primary cells (non rechargeable) for the AAA powered laser and check the battery voltage on the cells for the 200mW with a multi meter. Rechargeable AAA batteries (with the exception of alkaline manganese batteries) are rated for 1.2v instead of 1.5v so it's possible your laser is just not getting enough power. The rechargeable cr2s for the 200mW should reach about 3.4v on a full charge. If you rule out the possibility of under voltage then it's most likely that static or impact of some kind damaged the diode.

Good luck.

Well having nothing to lose and 2 lasers to recover i just tried a full charged pair of AAA's as well as new non-rechargable pair but no changes, they work great in my other 3 pens but not in this one. :undecided:

As for the CR2 i also tried a full charged pair again, then with the non-rechargable lithium pair, same results. I remember having seen a multimeter somewhere in my house but couldn't find it, ill ask my dad tomorrow where he keeps it and check voltage in batteries.

I admit that the 50mW maybe got some "rude" treatment or something while in my pocket, but i did treat my 200mW with great care and the fact that it went from normal to dim in less 3 seconds is like -> :confused: then :wtf: and finally :banghead:

My gut feeling is that it overheated and died. Still, check what the voltage is of your batteries. I'm not even sure if those CR2 batteries are even rechargeable, and even when they are, they rarely have protections built in and might have too high voltage or too low. They should be at 3.0V or so, especially for alkalines, which maintain their nominal voltage for most of their lifetime.

Ty for ur reply!, i still dont have the multimeter, seems my brother took it and he should bring it back today at night... i dont think it overheated since it died after 2 seconds of use, i turned it on and it was fine, turned it on again and went dim and this was while using the Ultrafire CR2 batteries from DX.

I attached another pic i took with the laser parts and batteries;

-The two on the left are the Ultrafire 3V from DX, always used these with my laser.

-The two lime green on the center are another 3V rechargable GREENBATT brand, i bought them just in case DX forgot to include either the charger or batteries in my package.

-The two red with silver are the 3V non-rechargable lithium i bought hoping they "revive" my laser but they didnt.

Another thing i didnt mention, is i left the batteries inside the laser all the night long, i always have had with my AAA pens and so did i with my dilda and nothing happend until yesterday, never took them out unless they need a recharge (and that was just once), so u think this could have been my mistake?

I still feel bad because my $2 pointer has proven to be more reliable and tough in a half year (some drops and impacts included) than my dilda and a newwish pen in few days :confused:

Attachments

• DSC00620.jpg
    DSC00620.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 172