Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help, amplifier for PS3 XY mini projector

woop

its not really an xy scanner though is it? i thought those lenses could only track sideways and focus forward and back.
it looks like the mirrors are banging against the bottoms and making random vibrations. still looks cool and it only requires one sled.

I am going to try making an xy scanner using 2 hard drive actuators

*edit I DID make a xy scanner, it was ridiculously easy. I just got 2 hard drives, took out the platters, hot glued mirrors on the arms and hot glued the hard drives together, then connected up wires to the coils and drove them using my computer connected to an amp. oh and shone a laser on the mirrors.

P1020115.jpg

P1020111.jpg

and here is the VIDEO:

Attachments

• vidwoop.avi
    1.5 MB · Views: 63

did you just strip some AV wires and connect it to this?

I just cut the ribbon cable short and soldered wires to the pairs of contacts. then potted the ends in araldite for strength. That way it drives both sets of coils. (see simplified diagram below).

its not really an xy scanner though is it?
Yes it is, if you use one focus sled, driving the coils separately, the up down will give you a line, the left right does zilch....it just moves the mirror back and forth so no output. Use a second sled at 90 degrees to the first then one mirror gives you X the other gives you Y.

I did explain that one of the coils was bouncing....I have now cured this and can get near spiro patterns...but very small (awaits amp parts ::)).

and here is the VIDEO:

V nice :) I get something similar now......the idea with this is to fit it into the smallest possible package.........

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• sled_wiring01.jpg
    sled_wiring01.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 270
Yes it is, if you use one focus sled, driving the coils separately, the up down will give you a line, the left right does zilch....it just moves the mirror back and forth so no output. Use a second sled at 90 degrees to the first then one mirror gives you X the other gives you Y

Sorry for the double post but I have been thinking about my answer above.... you need both coils to be driven on each lens assembly to give an XY.... the laser needs to be at 45 degrees to the combined movement..... I think D'oh!....all I know for sure is that it does work :)

Regards rog8811

woop

sweet, now how do we control it to produce images, instead of just creating sine wave patterns.
surely there must be a pc app that can drive coils like these (through the sound card) to do cool stuff

there must be a pc app that can drive coils like these (through the sound card) to do cool stuff
I have not looked into it that much but there must be something out there that would do it! The search begins.......

Regards rog8811

Woop - care to translate that page into something that those of us that are iggy-norrant can read ? :)

woop

meh, i didn't read it, just click the link at the bottom to download the program.
it doesn't make much sense translated anyway

rkcstr

If you're looking for compact, high efficiency and just GREAT amps... check out the kits on this site:

http://www.41hz.com/

I built the AMP9 for my  home theater and I love it.  Of course, your application doesn't need a lot of power or anything with great quality sound, but check out the Amp32, it's SUPER tiny, or you can try the Amp6 if you'd rather use thru-hole components.  And they're rated for down to 4ohms, but 3ohms won't be a problem as most speakers rated 4 ohms dip down that low anyway, and considering the low power you'll need, going lower than 4ohms shouldn't be a problem anyway.

check out the kits on this site:
Small indeed, they may be of interest if a plan B is required, thanks :)
just click the link at the bottom to download the program.
I will give it a go, taa woop :)

Regards rog8811

[edit]I downloaded a wav file that someone produced to run graphics through an oscilliscope which may work with this setup. I downloaded it at work then forgot to copy it onto my USB stick, I will link to it if I find it again, otherwise next week when I have been to the office..... ::)[/edit]