Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help, amplifier for PS3 XY mini projector

Does anyone have an idea of a simple amplifier that will take the output signal from the computer sound card and drive a 3ohm coil?

I have tried various single NPN transistor setups. they will drive an earphone (30ohms) but will not move the coil I need to use. I have also tried a microphone pre-amp to no avail....

Any help appreciated.

Regards rog8811

[edit] Title changed as I have added some pictures of the next project[/edit]

Re: Help with simple amplifier?

A long time ago in a mind far away, I think an LM358 was an audio amp IC.
Mike

I think an LM358 was an audio amp IC
I have looked at the data sheet for that Mike, it has the advantage of being a dual package so that would take care of the 2 input channels.
I am having trouble working out whether it would happily drive 3 ohm coils though.

I have googled all combinations of 3ohm/amplifier searches and nothing I have found specificly says that it will work...very frustrating as it is holding up the next laser project.

Regards rog8811

phenol

TDA2003 - will drive any speaker down to 1.5ohms. With a 2-ohm coil it can deliver up to 10W

diachi

You can buy a 30W amplifier kit Here

Diachi

You can buy a 30W amplifier kit
Thanks for the link but too big.......

TDA2003 - will drive any speaker down to 1.5ohms
That's more like it :) I will ivestigate further.

I have tried stripping out an Ipod dock amp which works....sometimes...One minute I have a nice XY output next minute one coil is bouncing and the other slows right down....

Regards rog8811

I THINK I have some spare LM358's sitting around here - if you want, I can throw a few in the post for you ?

I THINK I have some spare LM358's sitting around here - if you want, I can throw a few in the post for you ?
What a hero! :) I have an order for some red LD's with you at the moment, if you could drop a couple in with that...If it hasn't already gone, thanks Greg!

I have had another play with this.....
I Wanted to try using the lens focus from the PS3 sleds as an XY projector, first remove this bit.....

Attachments

• PS3_sled01_001.jpg
    PS3_sled01_001.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 321

stick a mirror to the lens (later ones have round mirrors) and solder a pair of wires to the coil connections......

Attachments

• next01.jpg
    next01.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 465

mount 2 of them up at 90 degrees to each other......

Attachments

• mirrors01.jpg
    mirrors01.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 371

add a SenKat red, an amplifier and the output from a stereo system........

Attachments

• mirros_lit01.jpg
    mirros_lit01.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 448

NICE WORK ! I have already posted the stuff you bought - so I will put these in the mail for you in the AM :)

....and you get something like this.

One of the coils is driving harder than the other so not as good an output as I want, at some point I was getting an almost spiro pattern rather than what you see here...

Attachments

• movie01_NEW.wmv
    8.1 MB · Views: 67
Very sweet ! I LOVE the shot looking back into the scanner :) Very inventive of you, mate ! your LM358's (a few of them, LOL !!) are packaged up and ready to send tomorrow AM :)

Thank you greg, I will get the rest of the parts to go with them so that I can try it out.

I like small, the idea is to build this into a small project box that can sit on top of my stack system and give me some ambiance :).
With all the blue ray builds that have gone on people will have loads of these focus coils laying around this may be something others would like to try, I will keep this updated as I go....

Regards rog8811

WOW! nice job Rog, I am gonna try this, may I ask, did you just strip some AV wires and connect it to this?
I would like this alot more if you could control the patterns,
but still great job, looks like fine ;)