Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello. Thanks To All Who Made This Forum.

Hello, I am fairly new to forums (joining and being part of). I have read many threads in this and other forums. I will try to be of help when possible.

I have had an interest in lasers most of my life, but know more about computers than lasers. I may not post often but do read many threads. Anyone with questions may contact/ask me questions anytime. My interest in purchasing a "handheld" laser is what brought me here.

Back in the 80s, I had a non-working tunable 50mW argon laser when I was 16yrs old that I traded at a vocational school for a working Red 5mW HeNe laser. I modulated The beam with a HeathKit DIY system purchased at school and modified the kit to transmit a video signal in the beam. I also converted a sound pressure level meter by changing out the microphone with a small solar cell to receive and adapt the signal to allow viewing on a television.

I made an attempt to make a laser microphone but found that often vibrations from things like an air conditioning unit would make surveillance difficult if not impossible.

I thought I would give a brief introduction and hope or the best.

I am still looking for a "handheld" laser, (preferrably green) very high power, but not to the point of sacrificing all quality. I know all too well about the dangers and responsibilties of owning such a device. I am worried that because of the affordability of high powered handheld lasers and the ease with which they can be purchased that it may not be long before they are outlawed altogether to the public.

So, I am looking. any help or advice is welcomed.

Thanks again.

Fenzir

Hey, Thomas welcome to LPF!
I've always been slightly interested in data transmission with lasers, I believe that is what you did with your laser but you know more about than I.
Handheld lasers are a true wonder, if you're looking for a low powered starter, any 5mw from E-bay will do, however with your experience with 50mw Argon, I'm sure you know some safety precautions. The battle for safety with lasers is one that we're battling here, with new laws and such :/

I don't mean to put you on the spot, but you said you know a lot about computers, I am having problems with my computer.
If you can help, check this thread out
http://laserpointerforums.com/f60/bios-changing-parallel-port-settings-63979.html
Please read through all of the information as I've made some progress since OP.

Kevlar

Welcome to LPF! Keep an eye out in the B/S/T section, lots of deals pop up there but sometimes they go quick!

Hey, Thomas welcome to LPF!
I've always been slightly interested in data transmission with lasers, I believe that is what you did with your laser but you know more about than I.
Handheld lasers are a true wonder, if you're looking for a low powered starter, any 5mw from E-bay will do, however with your experience with 50mw Argon, I'm sure you know some safety precautions. The battle for safety with lasers is one that we're battling here, with new laws and such :/

I don't mean to put you on the spot, but you said you know a lot about computers, I am having problems with my computer.
If you can help, check this thread out
http://laserpointerforums.com/f60/bios-changing-parallel-port-settings-63979.html
Please read through all of the information as I've made some progress since OP.
Hello, Yes, I read the issue you were having earlier. I have not read every last comment yet but I agree with whoever stated checking the device that plugs in to the USB port. It is an automated process for windows from "2000" through "7" to detect and attempt to install drivers for any "active" USB device. It is disappointing that only some computers allow for modifying serial, parallel, and USB ports directly in BIOS. Although I do not think that would have been much help in this case. Was the device powered up/on when you plugged in the USB port? I am just sitting down to dinner and then will study more in depth again.

i hope you stick around for a while. smart people are always welcomed here!!

welcome to the forum

michael.

Fenzir

Thomas, I would love your assistance, but could you please post any relevant information on the thread discussing the matter? I don't mean to sound bossy, but if someone else has a similar problem, I wouldn't want them jumping from that section to the Welcome board to look for answers. But much thanks for the help.

Thanks for the welcoming and I will be around. As I have said I have read some of the forum posts and have found it to be unbiased and friendly. Hope to communicate with all of you more later.

Welcome to the forum :wave:
glad to have you aboard nice intro ;)
There is more good laser info here
than any where else so soak it up :)
Have fun and be Safe !

Welcome to LPF! I think you will fit in very well. Green dpss lasers in general tend to diverge more unless you can spend a bit of cash for the higher quality. But you have come to the right place to find what you are looking for. Be safe! :)

Hi Thomas, Welcome to the LPF!

I was/still am kind of in the same boat... built plenty of computers but only now making my first laser.

The good news is, even if lasers are outlawed, components will still continue to be easily available... the bad news is laws are evolving to catch up to lasers so it may only be a matter of time until using lasers outside gets very risky.

Glad to see you're aware of the safety hazards:beer:

@Migz Zubiri - Interesting signature you got there.

Last edited:
Again, thanks to all for the welcome.

-------------------------------------

The good news is, even if lasers are outlawed, components will still continue to be easily available... the bad news is laws are evolving to catch up to lasers so it may only be a matter of time until using lasers outside gets very risky.

-------------------------------------

I live in an area that makes using a laser outdoors reasonably safe(not very many houses, cars, people, and so on). I still have to be aware of and careful with regard to aircraft and generally, especially if I get a handheld laser like I am looking for.

I wondered for a while now though... with handheld lasers that are so powerful and affordable, what about imaging satellites like visible, infra-red, and others if any of the handheld lasers reaching the power level that they are now could be a nuisance/hazard.

I do not think so or I would probably have read something about it, but does anyone know or hear of anything like orbiting satellites photographing or being affected by lasers?

In theory if you were to hit a satellite with say a 2W laser... the beam would spread out enough at the distance to no longer be really harmful... The atmosphere itself would also reduce the power level to a point where it would be harmless.

If you also factor in how fast the satellites are moving... the satellite camera might be blinded for a fraction of a second at worst.

It would be pretty cool in a warfare scenario to blind satellites, but in reality it's not really a factor or concern.

Yeah, I figured the distance would likely make it safe for satellites. I forgot about the speed at which they travel though, it would be unlikely one would remain in the path of a beam for long. Thanks.