Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from New York

Andy787

Hi everyone. My name Andrew and I’m from Westchester, New York. I’ve been fascinated with lasers ever since I had weak red pointer as child. I started getting into this hobby recently and several weeks ago built a 2 watt blue and 1 watt green (shoutout to DTR and survival laser for their great customer service). I’ve learned so much on LPF over the past couple months and want to become a part of this awesome community. Looking forward to a lot of fun in this addictive hobby!

Some shots of my new lasers😄:

Top- m140 in s4 host
Bottom- ndg7475 in survival laser ss host

Some beam shots indoors:

These things at night are insane!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, Andrew, thanks for the intro. post! :)
Those are two nice lasers you've got there, you won't go wrong with DTR and Survival Laser, they are both long time members here, who sell great products.

Glad to see that you've also purchased some quality safety goggles. (y)

Have fun, stay safe, and enjoy your stay!

PS - Nice beam shots!

Welcome great intro not many around these days. Nice builds and two great choices of diodes to compliment the hosts. Yes both of the vendors DTR and SL are awesome folks they stand behind all their products.

Rich:)

Nice to meet you, Andrew. Thank you for posting an introductory thread. Welcome to the LPF.

BRAVO Andy.
You get 5 stars for:
your most excellent 'Intro'
Posting great pics w/ eye wear
Your attitude and the respect you have shown LPF and the members who have posted in your intro. ( they will be your 'go-to' guys )
Please accept our invite to help w/ these very important 'welcomes and greets'... No need to be a vet to help welcome.
Place a link to this thread as an example. Let the newcomer know that w/o a location in BOTH your profile AND your intro TITLE is about the only way we can know where you are.. How we help is often dependent on your location.

While we have some awesome members from NY.. afaik none are mind readers so having your location in BOTH your intro AND title is by far the best way to meet members close enough to meet in person. Until you have a LPM any member w/ one will be very happy to meter your lasers anytime anywhere. Wanna see a laser that you may want to own?--any member w/ that laser will be more than happy to let you try one out in person. AND buy it if possible.
As you will learn I am VERY BIG on LEMs.
SELEM needs to be on the bucket list of all here at LPF.
You are much closer than very many others who make that trip every year they can.
It has grown to around 4 or 5 days long- Adam(buffo) has us renting 3 venues at the same location.
IF you could only attend one LEM the one in Newton N.C. mid august is the only choice..
I have been blessed by meeting IN PERSON >100 laser forum members at LEMs including friends and family that also attend SELEM w/ them (for them its a free event ..BTW).
The two most common responses are:
'SELEM was a life-changing experience-- I learned a lot!!'
or ' I wish it had lasted even longer I am so glad I took the advice and made the trip--see you guys next year'

Buffo is already taking attendee fees for SELEM 13--I suggest you pay that asap --it will help you to do what you must in order to make the trip (AS that fee is NOT refundable)
We have found the very best way to keep the expenses to a minimum. Some members from your area are going and a car-pool is a blessing.-- We do not spend much time sleeping.. Several groups get a suite and that lowers the cost to less than $30 per night.. full kitchen and free morning eats at the HIE.

FOR SURE bring a camera-- maybe two or more and be sure to study up on how to take laser pics w/o harming your camera.
(Or leave that pricey one at home).
Bring any stuff that might be sold or traded in the BS & T room. (not just lasers)

get some (contact) cards made (or make them) to give to your new 'besties'.. and get contact info from them.

While kinda lame-- there ARE some LEM vids at YTube--search 'SELEM Laser'

there are several more LEMs almost every year -- including one in the NE.
In your search you will get links to another forum where all the planning/paying etc. for SELEM (& other LEMs) happens.

There wil be 'heads-up' posts on what is wanted to buy and what we are bringing to sell.
Car Pooling and room sharing happens there too.
PM me w/ any LEM questions you may have.

When I got home from my 1st SELEM (aug) I hosted one of my own just a few months later (in Nov)

I consider any 'gathering' of two or more laser geeks to be a 'bona fide' LEM and they ALWAYS tend to grow fast ..
So there are 'Pop-up' LEMS w/o much advance warning.
By far the venue is the hard part-- needs to be:
cheap
located NOT near people who may NOT like LOUD music.
parking ( some camper may be brought)
rented by the day with 24 hour access. ( some will want to 'guard' their gear' after hours - so some 'indoor camping' will happen)
All the rest will fall into place.
-- restrooms are a must and a kitchen is a BIG plus..

WE let the owners know that we will be disabling the fire alarms ( our foggers/hazers will set them off)

I ask for the weekend rate THEN request the keys on Wed or Thur.. and will be giving them back (and a clean(er) place) on Monday or Tue.

MY TEXLEM 1 gathering only cost me $150 for a 6 day 'weekend"

(btw these are TOO dangerous for the small Kiddos --so we do not encourage bringing them if they will NOT be watched closely 24/7.

all forum members must pay but 'others' can come w/o you at no cost.

Paying in advance will get you a VERY 'free' nice SELEM knit button polo shirt w/ a kewl new embrodded monogram logo every year-- extras are $20 each and must be paid for asap. ( no extras will be there)
THEN there are the $$$ door prizes and free stuff from vendors who do demos and seminars every year.
My first two SELEMs I won >$500 items (valued) Pangolin gave away lasershow soft worth >$600 the` next year.

PM me anytime w/ more Qs.

hope to see you at SELEM 2019... Len

Welcome :) You've got some nice handhelds there - and you'll fit in well if your Intro is anything to go by!

Enjoy your stay.

Andy787

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome😃!

Was saving up for a 488 build but now dtr has a fantastic looking g8 that I kinda want to try. There’s just so much great stuff out there, wish I had unlimited funds😭.

• Wow
Reactions: GSS

GSS

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome😃!

Was saving up for a 488 build but now dtr has a fantastic looking g8 that I kinda want to try. There’s just so much great stuff out there, wish I had unlimited funds😭.
O boy the addiction is in full bloom:giggle:

Welcome to the LPF community.

Good laser choices and nice looking housings, I remember when the M-140 was the latest greatest and it's still a great diode with a decent looking beam for using only a collimating lens, there's also the NDB7875 that's half again as strong with the same divergence, both are actually discontinued but still around and if you want some zero hour 7875's DTR has some but in limited supply so make sure to grab some if you want them.

Enjoy and stay safe.

Welcome to the Forum Andrew...
Nice beam shots of your Lasers.

Enjoy the forum and be Laser Safe.

Jerry