Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from middle TN

Special thanks to Hap, my account is now activated.

In need of something better than my <5mW red toy I searched ebay for something more powerful, but all looked suspicious. Even the other big laser sites found with google looked sketchy. I turned to Wicked Lasers knowing my dad got a couple there, but found the USA shipping issue. Eventually LPF helped me find and trust Sanwu, no thanks to the many big toplaserpointers.com links everywhere, does that site even work? I ended up with the pocket series 250mW red laser, but am still waiting for the batteries to come. I ordered ultrafire non protected fearing the protected might not fit, but now it looks like Sanwu recommends them. I've got an RC airplane computer lipo charger I'll use. I've read about the great quality and how the seems are invisible. I easily found the front seem, which was quite thin, thinking that's how to access the battery compartment, but it took me a while to find the rear seem, it practically was invisible. I got a multi mode version, I noticed the switch sounds to simply click on and off and is likely separate from the mode changer, so is it safe to assume that "half tapping" without fully clicking on gives a short burst of power telling the controller to change modes?

Anyway, a few other questions I have are: does Sanwu not guarantee shipments to certain countries like WL? Is it a gamble just hoping your laser makes it to you at all? Could they honestly declare laser components inside but ship as one package with the host and the other package with the diode and driver without customs issues? Are Sanwu's safety glasses very good? They seem to filter out stray light on the wall with my 5mW laser, but I've used the glasses that came with my dad's 1W blue WL and the dot was invisible with the glasses on. Also, I'm just curious if there is an injuries thread to give people a reminder about safety? I'm sure even the most experienced laser users could use an occasional reminder of a real life example.

Oh, and Nutball does not reflect how I use lasers.

BobMc

Welcome to the forum. I've ordered from Sanwu maybe 5 times or so and have never had a problem with delivery to the states. Don't know about Sanwu's safety glasses, no experience. WL glasses seem to be pretty good, got a couple of pairs. They rate glasses by the OD number, the higher the better. The red and blue wave length are covered by the same glasses. So your good there. Your right on how to half click your unit, it does take some getting use to. There are some threads on lazer safety that are a really good read. They will remind you these aren't a joke, they can do some serious damage real quick and permanent. So enjoy your pocket, be safe, and welcome . :)

Last edited:
I am looking for something too, my dad said I am responsible enough to use lasers and allowed me to join this forum.

Yes, I forgot to say welcome too :) but man, what a name! Lots of members sign up with such outrageous names, I guess I'm just getting old, I can't see doing that, but at the same time a unique name is better than Laser123 or something like that.

Last edited:
:wave:Welcome to the Forum...
Don't forget to read the LPF Terms Of Use (TOU).
And please use extreme Laser Eye Safety practices..

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

Welcome to the forums. Your best bet is to read the sticky for each forum, that way you will be up on everything that's going on. Best of luck and always remember safety first.
+ rep if I can.
Ed

Encap

:wave:Welcome to the Forum...
Don't forget to read the LPF Terms Of Use (TOU).
And please use extreme Laser Eye Safety practices..

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

I don't think they read the Terms of Use or if they do they ignore the age requirement part so we get underage minors from time to time. The TOU says:
"3. Eligibility
You must be the age of majority as that is defined in your jurisdiction to visit or use the Website in any manner. You represent and warrant to Laser Pointer Forums that You have reached the age of majority in your jurisdiction, and that You have the right, authority and capacity to agree to and abide by this Agreement. You also represent and warrant to Laser Pointer Forums that You will use the Website in a manner consistent with any and all applicable laws and regulations."

Two new members with great names, do I need to say more?

:crackup:

Oh boy here we go.

exactly my feelings also--just waiting for it to emerge

Last edited:
I'm 22 years old, experienced with firearms, fire, chainsaws, and other dangerous stuff, and I'm overly safe and meticulous especially with HV electronics which I triple check 3 times over untill I about drive myself crazy just to be safe.

Childbrain on the other hand sounds quite young, but I know I was one of very few to be very mature, safe, and responsible by age 14. Still it is easy to make mistakes especially with lasers.

I get my username from the RC airplane, and it has been my username almost everywhere else.

I am looking for something too, my dad said I am responsible enough to use lasers and allowed me to join this forum.

What are you looking for in a laser? I think it best to start with a laser that has a button that must be held down to operate. I've always thought it dangerous to have a burning laser that can be left on while not held. One could always tape down the button if need be.

Last edited:
I love coincidences. This one is more like a riddle. The adult chooses the wild name of nutball and the child chooses the name Childbrain. Brainchild? Somewhere in here is a self fulfilling profecy.

Encap

I'm 22 years old, experienced with firearms, fire, chainsaws, and other dangerous stuff, and I'm overly safe and meticulous especially with HV electronics which I triple check 3 times over untill I about drive myself crazy just to be safe.

Childbrain on the other hand sounds quite young, but I know I was one of very few to be very mature, safe, and responsible by age 14. Still it is easy to make mistakes especially with lasers.

I get my username from the RC airplane, and it has been my username almost everywhere else.

What are you looking for in a laser? I think it best to start with a laser that has a button that must be held down to operate. I've always thought it dangerous to have a burning laser that can be left on while not held. One could always tape down the button if need be.

Nutball: Well welcome then and enjoy the forum.

I think you are right that ChildBrain is a minor---he should ask his father to buy him a laser. Responsible enough minor has nothing to do with it--legally responsible adult does. I don't know of anyone who will sell to someone under 18----liability/legal issues are real and so is the danger of selling to a minor who is the responsibility of his parents--the risk is not worth the few pennys made on a laser.

Last edited:
I think the big issue would be a minor is most likely around a lot of friends at school. Young friends,...and school, don't mix well with lasers, school maybe if it's a science project. Friends will want to try out the laser and wildly shine it around and into people's eyes if not their own out of curiosity. Plus teachers like taking things away.

That reminds me, I remember in high school when I ran the tech booth in the auditorium there was a wimpy <1mW laser in the projector remote I'd play with. It was fun, but I can't remember the fun stuff I'd do with it.