Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Michigan, I'm here because LPS let me down...

VitoPettito

Hey all! I lurked here before and found the LPS shop, but now I'm here because I don't want to shop there again and need some help. I'm going to make a separate thread for that but I figured WHY I'm here is as good a post as any in the welcome area.

I started off with some 303 lasers, a green one for handheld naked eye stargazing and the red one to try my hand at burning stuff. I was super happy with those and also grabbed a model 202 in violet (the pen style lasers). I had no problem with the violet laser, which is why I was surprised by their green 202's in the next order...

I needed a certain type of laser to fit in a telescope finder bracket and the 202 was perfect; powerful but not too dangerous, fit's perfectly where the 5mw orion (BOOOOOORING) laser would go, and with a toggle button instead of a press-and-hold button. I even bought two in case one pooped out on me, knowing it's a 5 dollar chinese laser. Neither worked upon arrival, the output would go from brilliant and bright like my 303 down to a dim little dot that a professor could beat with a projector remote, due to some loose connectors and crap rattling around inside. Most of the time I can't get either to work for more than a couple seconds before it dims down. But here's the real bull - when I logged on to ask them about it they had deleted a ton of accounts in an update, so all records of past orders including order numbers are gone. I emailed them my question and have yet to hear back but they don't speak english well (from when I told them the lasers shine right through their safety goggles) and can't imagine they'd be eager to help. So it was worth a shot but they blew it, and I'm done with chinese bunk (unless that 1W blue 303 calls out to me... I'm cheap!)

Anyway, I'll be heading over to the green laser section to ask some questions about where I can find a powerful pen laser that will actually work and hopefully last a while. I might even stay a while (provided I can get some more lasers past my GF...)

Wow. Usually these intro threads are filled with information about the new member, not a rant about how they were screwed. Where are you from and how old are you? I am not familiar with the 202 designation from laser pointer stores, so I have no idea what you are talking about. Welcome to the LPF, all the same.

GSS

Paul, it looks like the 202's are just the typical pen style with a click switch at the end cap instead of the momentary side button..
Vitto, Tommy who owns the LPS speeks English very well. I hate to say, he's just hustling you at this point.. Lesson learned I guess no matter how pissed off you are.:(

If 202 is LPS's designation for those very cheap AAA battery pens these can be had for $2.00 on eBay. I have a stack of them from years ago, some being multiple lines 532nm lasers. Live and learn.

''I'm going to make a separate thread for that but I figured WHY I'm here is as good a post as any in the welcome area. '

I won't say welcome yet..the above is a terrible way to begin.

It needs to be in another section..... like feedback.
Of the gazillions involved in lasers are you the ONLY one who did not know that WE do not go there. (LPS)
The forum takes paid ads. BUT we are not involved w/ very many and for sure NOT LPS.

Every question you have asked can be answered by a simple search--starting w/ 'why to avoid LPS' DUH.

WE really want you to be a member BUT you tax us from the beginning.

PLEASE
copy most of this Post- then dele that part...
THEN find the correct section for your questions and comments (more likely more than one section)
and paste them there.

heads-up

we frown upon:
double posting (no two or more in a 'row' plz)
NO NECRO POSTS-- always see the dates of the last few posts (NOT JUST THE NEWEST POST)as it may be a long dead thread and it needs to stay 'dead' BUT does NOT need any more posts.

Start over be reading the stickies in the first forum--welcome/newcomers.
Whenever you are unsure where to post a new thread or post a question JUST SEARCH the topic and see where others have made threads on the same(ish) topic .
If you post pics they MUST be a size that we can see w/o lots of scrolling.

BEFORE you post a question--ask in in our search- IF it is there --you have your answer-- if you still want to post do not do it because you are bored.. We take lasers very seriously (especially safe use) and have NO TIME to play kiddie games.

The reviews on sellers /makers etc are your guides to buying.
We tire of hearing about newbies buying from the worst places.. THAN asking
'should I'?

'we' already know that many are far from honest on specs- VERY much so and almost all the Alibaba sellers-.

If this pisses you off and you are going to leave-- sobeit. OR you can 'get w/ the program' are make great friends and learn a lot..

lastly-- when REALLY in doubt-- ask another member via PMs.
(if you found no help at SEARCH)
I will help you (once more)
all those who posted in your 'intro' are good for one question each (more if they feel generous.)
Doing that will save us ALL some time and get you up to speed.

You can start (after making your 'repairs'/edits) by joining us in this section giving nice greets/welcomes to other newcomers.. that job needs to be done by ALL of us- new and old members.
We need you and all others to join us. Spots at our table are open.
many have left lasers and sadly some have passed away.. 'Fresh meat' keeps the forum alive.
Sign up with your acct. and become a 'subscriber' with your montly donation-- if you cannot do that--at least send what you can when you can.

When greeting---You can suggest that they place a (honest)location into their profile(like you did)AND use that ALSO in the TITLE of the intro( unless you really never want to meet any of us--& we are kewl with that. )

Hover your mouse over my username-
a window will pop-up with more about me including my residing in Texas. Same with yours... thanks!
We have a few amazing members near you...
WE have awesome laser gatherings here and w/o location --members will miss out on a super experience.
(they are called LEMs-search 'SELEM Laser'
Here they are TEXLEMs
At one time there was plans for a GLLEM (Great Lakes)--
takes lots of members to have a great LEM and you really do not want to be left out.

My 10 years as a member comes April 2.
I would not steer you wrong!

OK???

Len

VitoPettito

Yeesh, I think I came across the wrong way... Just thought I'd share my experience, I never claimed you steered me wrong and knew I was taking a gamble trying out some 5 dollar chinesium pen lasers first, just thought it was ridiculously bad luck that they both came non-functional after a successful first order AND got my account deleted in an update, so I can't even prove I bought them. It was still worth a shot imo, but it could have gone better even if they never worked. If you didn't want my story of how I was led here to become a member, I don't know what else to tell you because there's not much about me I want to tell, other than being 22 and from MI. And I started liking lasers recently I guess. Sorry my welcome post wasn't up to your standards! lol

No worries.
Take it in the spirit it was meant. In the long run you will thank me for the advice even if it was not sugar-coated.
and.. yes we do want you to share your experiences-- but TBH we have seen posts almost exactly like your over and over.
shoulda coulda woulda-- move on- get a unique laser made by one of our best. Buying from the forum mz\akes a lot of sense-- good reps take work BUT once your rep is questioned it takes a long time to get that back.

We take no pleasure on you getting a bad deal.. we DO wish you had asked us before sending away your hard-earned $$
so.. extra 'stuff' in your intro n/p but it would have made more sense when placed as a 'feedback thread' on the companies/sellers you dealt with. The rest is fine AND as 'intros' go you get high marks from me.
so .. since this is still your intro..

may I ask?-- what are your career plans??? you cant go wrong with Photonics (laser fields)
It is growing at an incredible rate.
Once trained you could work anywhere in the world you like-- any state-
MI has 58 photonic related companies. Must be >500 in Ca.
10 in Ann Arbor... mmmh Thorlabs has a place in Ann Arbor. kewl

Doing something you love and getting paid well is about as good as life gets. Too late for me but not for you.
When I was 22-- just returned from an internship in NYC - made Woodstock (no lasers there of course) and all was super until the Nat.Guard killed my friend and 3 others at Kent State.. went downhill from there.

If you want to hear more about jobs PM me TOO late for me BUT MYB perfect time for you.
AND you can get a free subscription for the trade mag. via the net-- ( or paper version both are free)
Photonics Spectra.. Newest cam today-- HUGE POT LEAF of the cover WOW-- On of the newer photonic fields (not a pun) is a very expensive (but portable) machine that analyses the cannabis for impurities etc. and its done w/ lasers (sort of)-- all legal growers MUST have their product tested. BIG BIZ ( & fun too)-- NEED bigger samples please--
CYA!!!
hak

Not to get off track from the last, but I wonder how much money LPS contributes to the forum and if low enough, if we as members might be able to better their advertising dollars in donations just to have them removed here? They really are rip off’s.

Reactions: GSS

GSS

Not to get off track from the last, but I wonder how much money LPS contributes to the forum and if low enough, if we as members might be able to better their advertising dollars in donations just to have them removed here? They really are rip off’s.
Yup alot of complaints lately that cannot be good for the forum.
I still remember LPS Tommy first intro post of starting a company to "Help the members on a budget" "and offer great customer service":LOL::ROFLMAO:
Wow how fast is it that he used the LPF to spring board onto online sales and completely ignore his claims.:whistle:

I wouldn't buy from them, not when we have members who can make quality hosts for us. We usually get what we pay for, but not always, LPS is an example, you pay a lot for junk. SciFi lasers got his start here by acting like a good guy buying "G2" lenses in bulk and offering them cheap in a GB for members, they were cheap and he earned some good will in the community with that deal, but then abused us later. Those lenses weren't at all the quality we thought they would be, in that case, we got what we paid for.

My guess is LPS legally has a binding contract with the forum owner now, so regardless of what we say or want, his adds will run for a time and unless enough members support the forum well enough, they may continue to run with a new contract later.

Last edited:
The problem is that LPS has signed a contract with Avery
and can't be stopped until the end of that contract.
Only Avery can decide if he wants to re-new that contract
or walk away from it if it causes issues with members here.

I'm not sure if Avery is even aware of the crap LPS is selling
through this Forum.

Jerry

Hi
Or you can do your homework first and look into buying on the forum or another company.
Wish you luck
Rich:)

In my experience thus far, it’s just business, other factors not very high on the radar. If enough contributing members complained, it might change but not likely. We as members can also warn buyers to help.

I know for a fact that a few brand new members saw the LPS banner right under the LPF logo and ASSUMED that the store belonged to or was more than just an advertizer for the forums.

On the other hand --I wonder about what we 'write' about LPS and how that appears-- it IS biting a hand that 'feeds' us, regardless of the quality of what LPS sells ... Just how clearly is it to the new members that LPS and LPM are nothing more than an advertiser and where the ads appear.
I remember hearing many times at the end of a Burlington Coat Factory ad, a disclaimer concerning Burlington Carpet Factory and them having no connection (between the two). What we have here now makes me understand more now why that was done.

I know that a few new members looking for LPF got instead LPS(.org) WHICH is a very good thing- If I were king every new member MUST study LPS and have as good as possible understanding of what is important AND then be given access. . If you do not have a LPS link in your sig to LPS.org--- duh ...are we 100% safety minded?? Feel free to copy the link from my sig or any of the very many who have already done that.
While not much can be done about LPS as very many buy laser--hate laser- kill laser--THEN come to LPF--- preaching to the chior.

WE need something like a disclaimer placed where it can be seen but also trying to not disrespect one of our sources of funding.

Can we do something that will make this topic move up so it appears closer to the top when laser searches are made??

Just had a thought... MYB 'Murph' at LPS.org could give the forum(safety section) a plug that includes the disclaimer??) r takes the searcher there ...I will ask him.

Its a place that needs to be visited often as new items are posted there are very frequently. Post links to new stuff and more will go there.
VR Hak

Hello, yes, that is going to be an ongoing problem with that seller, people are going to keep coming into the forum complaining. I don't know what to suggest except email Avery and ask other members to email him too. I too do not like the way a hot link to "Laser Pointer Store" is right under the forum logo, as if associated with the forum. One of the big misleading problems with that vendor is the name of their company, when used here as a hot link, implies it is directly associated with, if not owned by the forum which gives a validation they do not deserve, worse, they should not be allowed to advertise here at all from what I've seen of them, I'd never buy a thing from them.

Very bad.

Last edited:
Yeah... It looks like the Forum promotes and endorses
that site as a good place to do business... which seems
to be quite far from the truth.

Jerry