Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Finland

Hello. I am your average nobody from Finland and I am interested in science in general, but particulary quantum mechanics. I'd like to have my own crazy lab for my crazy scientist experiments. Getting a laser would be a start.

Welcome ,
You come to the right forum. Here you will meet some great folks, with tons of info. Safety first you will need some safety glasses to start off right. There a search bar in white on the bottom of the site. Use it its there for you to read up.

Rich:)

Encap

Welcome to LPF. Enjoy your time here.

Remember safety for eyes/laser goggles and safe procedures for use comes first with lasers.

As Lifetime pointed out, use the LPF Search function at bottom of page to access the LPF database and answer most questions

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF Kvantti! :beer:
Stay safe, don't forget proper eyewear is a priority!
As Lifetime mentioned, the search bar contains an enormous amount of laser related information.

Welcome, kavantti. How far have your studies gone in physics and quantum mechanics? This is not an easy subject to learn and involves some very serious math. I hope you are able to learn a lot here as there are people here that are very knowledgeable.

:wave: Welcome to the Forum kvantti...
Enjoy your stay..

Jerry

Last edited:
Welcome to LPF kvantti.
We're a bunch of nobodies too from all over the world with a common love for lasers, so enjoy your visits.

RB

:beer:

Welcome, kavantti. How far have your studies gone in physics and quantum mechanics? This is not an easy subject to learn and involves some very serious math. I hope you are able to learn a lot here as there are people here that are very knowledgeable.

Thanks for the welcome everybody.

My knowledge of the subject is fairly superficial. I know of the subject in surface level. I do have some understanding of the ideas in quantum mechanics and so I am mainly iterested in studying wave theory from practical standpoint. Idea is to study light's behaviour in double slit experiment and search for dependencies. Math can come in play later. I have some ideas to try. I plan to later do quantum entanglement tests if setup for them can be found to be practical in home test environment.

Rivem

My knowledge of the subject is fairly superficial. I know of the subject in surface level. I do have some understanding of the ideas in quantum mechanics and so I am mainly iterested in studying wave theory from practical standpoint. Idea is to study light's behaviour in double slit experiment and search for dependencies. Math can come in play later. I have some ideas to try. I plan to later do quantum entanglement tests if setup for them can be found to be practical in home test environment.

Welcome! :)

If you do want to experiment with light and possibly quantum physics down the road, you'll need a good lab laser. In optics classes, we commonly use gas (HeNe) lasers. Never done any lab based quantum physics courses, but I can ask my friends in physics what they do.

Welcome! :)

If you do want to experiment with light and possibly quantum physics down the road, you'll need a good lab laser. In optics classes, we commonly use gas (HeNe) lasers. Never done any lab based quantum physics courses, but I can ask my friends in physics what they do.

Highly appriciated about any and all info.
I wonder if 351nm is necessary for photon doubling using beta barium borate (bbo seems to be very expensive), propably something close if it doubles to 700nm.
Initially I will start with cheap pointer as it seems to be hard to get anything more powerful than 1mW pointers in Finland. But I would like to know how high the bill goes for good enough q-e setup.
blue laser, bbo and polarisers mainly.
edit. maybe I need ir camera if I double over 400 nm photons?

Last edited:

BobMc

Welcome Kvantti to the forum. Nobody is a average nobody. We are all average somebody's. :D So welcome to a fun hobby. Watch your wallet, can get a liitle pricey. But it's a ton of fun. But as a heads up, build yourself your first one, and your hooked. Enjoy and be safe. :)

Last edited:

I'm afraid you might not understand. Math is the language of physics. Without math, there is no understanding of physics. I have participated in physics labs and they can be quite informative. You still need to know the math involved or you really can't understand the the lab.

I'm afraid you might not understand. Math is the language of physics. Without math, there is no understanding of physics. I have participated in physics labs and they can be quite informative. You still need to know the math involved or you really can't understand the the lab.

I think you have misunderstood my intentions.

I think you have misunderstood my intentions.

How so? I thought you said the math wasn't the important part and you wanted to study the "double slit" experiment. Many people here have looked at the basic setup of this experiment and made some conclusions that may not be supported by the math. If this is your intent, I'm afraid you won't learn anything and may come away with a totally wrong impression.