Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello everyone my name is Skumdog...

Hello laser gaurdians, my name is Skumdog and I am from Jacksonville, Florida. I am a professional cook and like many of you, I am addicted to collimated photons. Robotics and LASER's have amazed me since I was a wee tot. I am a hobby roboticist utilizing mainly Arduino but here recently I found myself moving towards 32 bit ARM based MCU's.

I just recently purchased a cheap $9.99 405nm laser off eBay and it was way more powerful than anything I had ever used. I don't know how powerful it actually is but it stings the skin with the collimated beam. I decided to join the forum here because I love lasers and want to know more about what I have and what's available.

Other than that I really don't know what else to say. Thanks for this forum and it's heaps of information. Hopefully I am welcome here and I can learn the ways from the greats!

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! A cheap laser from eBay is a great way to start. If you haven't already, go visit https://www.survivallaser.com/ and buy yourself some eagle pair goggles. Make sure they are for the correct wavelength though. Have fun here.

Welcome to the LPF, skumdog. It is a great place to learn about all things that are laser. Since you have found that the eBay pointers are mostly over spec, you should concern yourself with safety. It only take a small fraction of a second to lose the vision in an eye. Proper laser safety goggles will help prevent this. Take advantage of the custom search bar at the bottom of the page to find answers to questions you might have. :yh:

Interesting choice of name.......do you eat those street vendor hotdogs?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, Skumdog! :beer:

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stay here!

Your username reminded me of a member that used to be here, his name was "scumbagathiest"; I'm sure that some of the vets will remember him.

I am definitely going to invest in so decent eye protection. As far as my name goes, it is actually from GWAR. They were know as the Scumdogs of the Universe. I just switched the C for a K and there we go. I've been using Skumdog for like 20 years.

Thank you for the warm welcome, looking forward to hanging out and learning.

LOL at the nick--is that a play on Slumdog Millionaire?

Welcome. Enjoy the forum.

^^^ me too!
where is SBA these days??

take extra care w/ 405 lasers-- while they appear to NOT be powerful they are, in fact, one of the best burners with a concentrated thin beam. These are especially dangerous around children... appearing harmless... a $3 eekbay pen pointer can be >100mW and certainly not a toy--- IMHO no children should EVER be allowed to 'play' with even a 'cat toy laser' the lens in our own eyes can magnify the power by 1000 times. (much like the sun and a mag glass--quick to burn things--just do not let those things be someone's eyes.)

Last edited:

BobMc

A hearty welcome to a new member in Jacksonville Florida. Welcome Skumdog, enjoy and be safe, it’s a great hobby. :wave:

Welcome SD,
Enjoy your stay and be safe always buddy. Oh As Red said about Hot Dog's they are made for Chicken lips and A$$hole$..

Rich:)